games for windows live update problem

• Level   1

I can load up a game (Halo2, Bioshock2,GoW) log in, I am then told that there is an update available. I click Yes (I'd like to update). I then get error code 0x080072751 along with the message : Can't download update. Make sure you are connected to the internet. If the problem persists go to: www.gamesforwindows.com/support. Needless to say I tried that. You don't even list the error code. I have had nothing but problems with GFWL since installing it way back in 2007. What is the purpose of the Client anyhow since you seem to have migrated everything out of it and onto a regular website viewed by my browser.

• Level   4

First I would check to make sure all the necessary ports are still open on your firewall and router.  Sometimes an update or another program can modify port settings.

This issue may occur if a third party program has corrupted the Winsock catalog on the computer.

Step1:

Refer this KB article and follow the steps to reset TCP/IP stack.

How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

The article is for Vista, but it also applies for Windows 7.

Step 2:

If that doesn’t help, then do a clean boot.

Refer this link for more information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Steps to restore your Normal startup:

1 .Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. (If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation,
     type the password, or click Continue.)
    2. On the General tab, click Normal Startup.
    3. When you are prompted, click Restart.

Step 3:

Click Start, type services.msc in the search box and press enter.

Set the following services to
    Startup Type: Automatic
    Service Status: Started

-Background Intelligent Transfer Service
    -SSDP Discovery Service
    -Universal Plus and Play Device Host
    -Windows Time

Once the above are set to started and automatic, restart the computer.

• Level   1

i am also connected to the internet on the same machine. My internet connection is fine. Router firewall-disabled as well as windows firewall and defender. turned off Upnp and manually opened ports. I reset my tcp/ip manually. used msconfig and set services as recommended. I have no problems getting updates for my steam games, and ps3. (I don';t have an xbox so i don't know if that'll work) I'm about ready to give up on GFWL altogether, maybe it won't be broken in 10yearsGRRRRRR. Steam seems to be the way to go nowadays.BTW I picked up Brink (It says its a games for windows game) and I had to use my Steam account. Whats the purpose of GFW anyhow? If Linux supported more games, I would be done with microsoft altogether. Any other help than what is suggested would be appreciated.

• Level   1

I'm having a similar problem, only difference is the error code is 80004004 on mine. Halo 2 works fine, but Bulletstorm won't let me past the title splash screen.

I'm starting to think my cousin had the right idea when he ditched Miscrosoft and went over to Sony....