Windows 8 Consumer Preview - XBOX LIVE! integration

• Level   4

So Windows  8 Consumer Preview is already available for download:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/consumer-preview?ocid=O_MSC_W8P_OandO_Consumer_EN-US

And Engadget website have done a very complete review which I recommend if you don't want to download and try for yourself.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/29/microsoft-windows-8-consumer-preview-detailed-impressions/

The MOST INTERESTING thing for gamers is the "XBOX INTEGRATION". Finally we can see Microsoft plans for PC gamers in the new operating system, which basically is: DON'T PLAY ON PC, play on XBOX instead.

Yes! This is what Microsoft want. They don't want to promote PC gaming anymore. They want Xbox gamers using Windows on their computers. It seems their target is take back all the apple users that are also Xbox gamers.

Do you want to play Modern Warfare 3, Skyrim or Rayman Origins? Buy an Xbox and now you can launch your games from your computer!!! This is the "true crossplatform" Microsoft really wants. They don't want you to play those games on PC.

If you don't believe me see the video for yourself and make your own conclusions.

Thanks Microsoft for your PC gaming support..... thank God we have STEAM/Onlive/Origin/GoG/Gaikai, etc.

• Level   8

For once I agree with you fully FuuKuy.  Been exploring it for a while and I am not getting Windows 8, not cause of the Xbox LIVE route or anything.  I just hate the feel of it.  It would be amazing on a tablet but on a desktop....no way.

• Level   8

Also I would like to add, its not just Microsoft trying to get in the mobile friendly operating systems.  Apple is doing it as well.  If you look at (I think its OSX Mountain Lion), its no longer called a Mac.

• Level   5

No-one is going to buy Windows 8 then Windows 7 is pretty much perfect already I suspected Xbox LIVE For Windows would not be a rebranded GFWL its another final nail in the coffin obviously! Unlikely MS are holding any major features back now they are just going to let PC gaming quietly go away for them as a company instead of maximising the potential of owning the OS & giving PC gamers features they want they are not doing anything (just like they have done with GFWL for years now).

• Level   6

I didn't tried it yet, but if it wouldn't be a tasteful part what are we talking about...

You say get an Xbox360? Like hell i will! Rather an Playstation 3 then!

• Level   6

I don't have a problem with them rebranding it as Xbox LIVE on the PC, it is after all the more recognised brand name.

-

For me it is the Metro UI that I can't stand. Good for a touch screen it might be but with a mouse I find it terrible to use. They need to add an option to disable it.

Mass Effect 3 - MEHEM and Extended Anderson Conversation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmofIH7rN9U.

• Level   5

GFWL getting rebranded is the best thing that could happen to it. It has so much hate from people spreading crap like you, ditching the name is clearly the best move.

That being said, I wish the wouldn't. I rather like the name, and acronym, Games for Windows Live.

• Level   8

voteDC

I don't have a problem with them rebranding it as Xbox LIVE on the PC, it is after all the more recognised brand name.

-

For me it is the Metro UI that I can't stand. Good for a touch screen it might be but with a mouse I find it terrible to use. They need to add an option to disable it.

Ive been playing around with W8 for a few hours now. At first i was thinking the same as you sir. 

-

But, as i got more used to it, i found it rather easy and actually started to really enjoy it. Maybe its because it reminds me of my Windows Phone.

"I don't celebrate because it is my job. When a postman delivers his letters, does he celebrate?" - Mario Balotelli

• Level   4

TheDarkAvengerX

I just hate the feel of it.  It would be amazing on a tablet but on a desktop....no way.

100% AGREE.

VividNinjaScar

GFWL getting rebranded is the best thing that could happen to it.

1.- Have you seen the video? It doesn't look like a rebranded system. It's more like XBOX Dashboard inside your PC (not for gaming, but everything else). A platform to extend your XBOX experience onto your computer. It doesn't look like new features are added for PC gamers. In fact I don't think this is a good way to promote PC gaming, just the opposite. It's more like KILLING GFWL.

2.- Rebrand Games for Windows LIVE! to XBOX LIVE! is just a way to confuse consumers. You can see it right here where some other users think this forum is to talk about XBOX games.

• Level   5

FuuKuy

VividNinjaScar

1.- Have you seen the video? It doesn't look like a rebranded system. It's more like XBOX Dashboard inside your PC (not for gaming, but everything else). A platform to extend your XBOX experience onto your computer. It doesn't look like new features are added for PC gamers. In fact I don't think this is a good way to promote PC gaming, just the opposite. It's more like KILLING GFWL.

2.- Rebrand Games for Windows LIVE! to XBOX LIVE! is just a way to confuse consumers. You can see it right here where some other users think this forum is to talk about XBOX games.

1. I'm using it right now. It seems you are confused about something though. This isn't a port of the Xbox Dashboard. Quite the opposite, actually. The Xbox Dashboard a port of the Zune UI. It should also be noted that the Dashboard was intended for both from the very beginning. The best way to promote PC gaming is by giving it PC games. If calling it Xbox Live for Windows accomplishes that, so be it.

2. Uh, no. It doesn't confuse anyone on Windows Phone.

• Level   4

VividNinjaScar

FuuKuy

VividNinjaScar

1. I'm using it right now. It seems you are confused about something though. This isn't a port of the Xbox Dashboard. Quite the opposite, actually. The Xbox Dashboard a port of the Zune UI. It should also be noted that the Dashboard was intended for both from the very beginning. The best way to promote PC gaming is by giving it PC games. If calling it Xbox Live for Windows accomplishes that, so be it.

2. Uh, no. It doesn't confuse anyone on Windows Phone.

1.- I'm not confused. I know the Metro UI was first implemented on Zune devices. What I meant to say is the Games app on Windows 8 is just the Xbox experience on Windows. Nothing new or adapted to PC gamers.

In fact, you're right: "The best way to promote PC gaming is by giving it PC games". And you know what? Microsoft wants you to play Modern Warfare 3,  Mass Effect 3 or Nexuiz on Xbox 360. That's why is implementing XBOX LIVE! on Windows 8. It's a promotion.

For God sake Alan Wake is finally on PC thanks to Remedy!!! What PC games besides FLIGHT and AoE online have Microsoft scheduled for PC?! None.

2.- BUT it's confusing for many users on Windows and XBOX.com.

• Level   5

FuuKuy

1.- I'm not confused. I know the Metro UI was first implemented on Zune devices. What I meant to say is the Games app on Windows 8 is just the Xbox experience on Windows. Nothing new or adapted to PC gamers.

Considering the resounding failure the Games for Windows brand is, it only makes sense in a business sense to push a brand that is accepted by gamers. Despite what reservations you or anybody else might hold against Xbox Live, the fact is that it is a winning brand. Number 1 in the US (the largest individual game market there is) in fact.  

In fact, you're right: "The best way to promote PC gaming is by giving it PC games". And you know what? Microsoft wants you to play Modern Warfare 3,  Mass Effect 3 or Nexuiz on Xbox 360. That's why is implementing XBOX LIVE! on Windows 8. It's a promotion.

You obviously are confused. The app that the video was showing off was the Xbox Companion app. It's the Windows version of the existing Windows Phone app. Given its a companion app, obviously any games on the console will say "Play on Xbox". Perhaps if you pay a little more attention or hell even try the OS for yourself, you'd find that there is a Windows Game Marketplace built into the Xbox Live Games. Before you rage on that title, I'll reiterate that the Xbox Live brand replaced Games for Windows. Since this is just a preview, they are showcasing free versions of Arcade games to try out. There are two now with more coming down as the preview moves along. It's not a difficult concept to understand given the OS is still in Beta and there are bugs to work out.

What PC games besides FLIGHT and AoE online have Microsoft scheduled for PC?! None.

It doesn't matter what Microsoft does, because there will always be somebody who will complain endlessly that they aren't doing what he/she think is the right way to go. They don't publish enough games, people complain they are abandoning PC gaming. If they were to publish too many games, people would complain that they are trying to take over PC gaming.

Should they publish more games for PC? Sure. My opinion on the matter is that they should acquire Epic Games, since they have announced they want to focus on the PC. Buying them would provide a powerful developer whose titles they could even publish on Xbox and PC, and utilize the built in capabilities of Xbox Live on Windows 8 for cross platform play, and so on. They'd also bring in additional revenue from licensing the Unreal Engine. That's just my take on what they could do.

2.- BUT it's confusing for many users on Windows and XBOX.com.

No it isn't. It's confusing to those who either simply don't try the product, because it's just much easier to take someone else's word and watch a video, then to actually put forth some level of effort and TRY it. It's so obnoxious to listen to people bash a product that they themselves haven't tried.

• Level   3

Windows 8 is a joke.

From the way the whole Metro environment has been shoehorned in, you can see that the whole thing has been rushed. When you need to go from the Metro Settings app to the desktop Control Panel just to choose which updates to install, it's clear that something's very wrong.

Internet Explorer is a mess, with its giant black toolbars that fill the screen at every opportunity.

The way everything is spread out across the screen, and even basic options are hidden in those black bars and require a right-click to see, just feels unintuitive, and the scroll bars are intrusive when they fade in and out. The lack of actual options on the Start menu is limiting, and the useless Charms bar is actually worse than it was in the developer preview. Basic keyboard shortcuts, like Home/End, are inconsistently applied.

The so-called Xbox Live integration is useless for anyone who doesn't have an Xbox, and the Xbox Live enabled games don't even have GFWL-like integration.

With Windows 8, Microsoft is just exploiting its desktop userbase as a way to popularize its app store on tablets. They don't really care if desktop users' experience is worse as long as they can get some of that Apple-style tablet userbase and the associated walled garden profits. From the new file copy window and Task Manager, you can see that someone at MS still cares about the desktop users, but their efforts have been overrun by the need to get an iPad competitor out the door, just as the 360 was rushed to market to beat the PS3, and we all know how that worked out for them. In the end, there's basically no reason to use Windows 8 if you already have 7 or even Vista, even if it was free.

• Level   4

Duke Taunus

Considering the resounding failure the Games for Windows brand is, it only makes sense in a business sense to push a brand that is accepted by gamers. Despite what reservations you or anybody else might hold against Xbox Live, the fact is that it is a winning brand. Number 1 in the US (the largest individual game market there is) in fact.  

- The problem with GFW is not the name is the service. Is a bad PC gaming platform/service. You can named differently but in the end they have to change the platform. GFW needs IMPROVEMENTS.

- Xbox is a VERY POPULAR brand... on consoles. Windows is more popular among PC users.

- I don't have a problem with XBOX brand. In fact I have an Xbox 360.

Duke Taunus

Perhaps if you pay a little more attention or hell even try the OS for yourself,

I tried the first W8 beta. Now I don't have the time neither the interest in testing the Consumer Preview.

Duke Taunus

No it isn't. It's confusing to those who either simply don't try the product, because it's just much easier to take someone else's word and watch a video, then to actually put forth some level of effort and TRY it. It's so obnoxious to listen to people bash a product that they themselves haven't tried.

It's not confusing for you or me. People who post on forums and are gamers. BUT for casual gamers is VERY confusing to go to Xbox.com to search for PC games. The same way Xbox brand and app for PC games on W8 is going to be confusing for many people. You can bet.

• Level   5

FuuKuy

- The problem with GFW is not the name is the service. Is a bad PC gaming platform/service. You can named differently but in the end they have to change the platform. GFW needs IMPROVEMENTS.

How to improve it then, or what is the problem with it? I remember a particular thread from the Steam forums where that very question was posed to the legions of GFWL haters. NOBODY could provide an adequate answers. In fact, many were happy to say that for what it does, it does pretty well. Most of what I've read over the years has simply been idiotic hatred by PC gamers. Is it perfect? No, no service is. Is there room for improvement? Certainly. There is no reason why it cannot be adapted to fit the PC market like any other service. I would dare so that part of the problem lies with the gamers themselves. Between the three different types of platforms (mobile, console, PC) PC gamers are by far the most resistant to change. It's a common thread that plays out, and the reactions from these players are all as predictable as the sun rising.

The fact is that Xbox Live is a service. It always has been. It's chief client has for the majority of its existance has been the game console. It now exists on mobile and pc as well. Anybody who pays a lick of attention to what is happening in mobile for instance, with MS rumored moves to unify the code bases of WP and Windows itself completely misses the boat that once that is complete they will have a fully functional game service across all three platforms complete with a wide variety of tools and features that our disposal. Yet again, it's something that most will go over the heads most PC gamers, who I will also dare say aren't reknown for being far sighted. Instead of attempt to see the longterm potential that change brings, they'll simply *** about the things they don't like.

- Xbox is a VERY POPULAR brand... on consoles. Windows is more popular among PC users.

Let's clarify something. Xbox Live is a service. Windows is an OS. Quite frankly, just because a group of particular gamers don't like it doesn't mean that it doesn't have value.

I tried the first W8 beta. Now I don't have the time neither the interest in testing the Consumer Preview.

Fair enough, except you didn't waste a moment to regurgetate the same kind of BS that helped sink GFWL (and yes MS did their fair part as well).  I sometimes have to openly wonder just what some people expect. The fact is that as technology moves along, things change. They have to. Otherwise we'd still be using command line. When read about the crap people are raging against there is one particular word I can think of to describe the vast majority of them. Stagnant.

It's not just the Metro interface either. Look at how many people are complaining about how the KB+M is no longer the central means of input. Do people honestly think that the mouse is going to stay around forever.

Seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hShY6xZWVGE

It's not confusing for you or me. People who post on forums and are gamers. BUT for casual gamers is VERY confusing to go to Xbox.com to search for PC games. The same way Xbox brand and app for PC games on W8 is going to be confusing for many people. You can bet.

Based upon that kind of statement, I'm starting to think that being labeled a gamer might just be bad thing. People on Windows Phone aren't confused by it. They get it. Maybe certain PC gamers are just *special*.