GWFL Update

• Level   1

I heard a rumor around -

That when Fable III releases, we should see a nice GFWL update that would give us access to a desktop client like the in-game one.

Anyone know if this is the case?

What's you're power level...?

• Level   2

No, that isn't the case. There was an update that went live on the 10th of May that changed a few things on the backend.

GFWL support said the next update was in June, but they might not be talking about the consumer software, and instead the marketplace itself.

• Level   1

Ok thanks.

I hope they do bring some sort of desktop client - would be nice to auto login to Live when your Pc boots up.

What's you're power level...?

• Level   1

so next GFWL update will be on june? is that confirmed?

• Level   V

I'd really like to know how these rumours get started and where they come from...

As always, Play Safe!

• Level   2

No, what I said does not mean the next update was in June.

Wedge explained that the people I am talking about are a different team who handle a different part of the service. That part of the service is getting an update in June, yes. That does not mean that the consumer GFWL client will get one as well. Although, wishful thinking would lead to that assumption, being that E3 is at the begining of June.

• Level   1

Who doesnt want the desktop client?  

• Level   2

If GFWL continues in this pace they will newer catch up with Steam nor will they catch up to Impuls, GamersGate, D&Drive or any of the new digital distribution services. It looked promising 2006 but since then not much have changed for the better. The small updates we're getting every half year are pathetic to be honest.

• Level   1

Indeed I don't like this very slow pace of updates. If those half-year updates were major enhancements, then the pace would be justified, but the updates are very small.

• Level   1

So far microsoft doesn't care much about what we think about anything because we have been asking for features that every other pc gaming service software has for years now and as a frequent user of the games for windows live software I feel like I am talking to a brick wall.

• Level   2

I personally think Microsoft will buy Steam. Why else keep the GFWL client so under developed/resourced?

• Level   2

Valve will probably never give Steam up.

• Level   2

In part it has to do with the fact how the whole industry is stating "piracy" is the problem (news flash you don't need to sell 17 million + units to be a hit), when they got bigger problem at hand on the console market  2nd hand sales "used games sales"....

• Level   2

WolfStar85

I personally think Microsoft will buy Steam.

Unlikely to ever happen. Valve is a private company (IIRC) and Steam is its major cash cow right now.

Why else keep the GFWL client so under developed/resourced?

Lack of focus and resources. Microsoft seems to have put most of these resources into the XBox and XBox LIVE brands, leaving GFW with far fewer to work with. At least they seem to realize this mistake and are looking to correct it with Windows 8, but we've heard these kinds of promises before, but we'll see what happens as Win8 gets closer to release. If/when it hits MSDN I'm going to grab a copy and test it out.

• Level   V

Offer the enough bucks and anybody will sell anything...

As always, Play Safe!