Using 360 Controller on the PC

• Level   2

So, since I can't find anything on the Microsoft website with the current layout the way it is, I'm starting this new thread, despite the fact that there's probably another one out there.

I bought the Play and Charge kit for the wire.  I have a 360 controller.

How do I get it all to work?

• Level   3

Sound like you need a Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows and the drivers

• Level   8

If you have a wired pad it works straight away. Might be a cheaper option.

"I don't celebrate because it is my job. When a postman delivers his letters, does he celebrate?" - Mario Balotelli

• Level   8

While the Play and Charge cable lets a PC see the controller it wont actually let you use it to play games, as the cable doesn't have the needed connections inside to let that happen.

You will need to either get the wireless receiver which was linked to above or the better option to my mind of the suggested wired 360 controller.

Vista and Windows 7 should recognise the controller straight away but if for some reason it does not then you can find the drivers for it here http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows

Mass Effect 3 - MEHEM and Extended Anderson Conversation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmofIH7rN9U.

• Level   V

Jaydin Soulseer

So, since I can't find anything on the Microsoft website with the current layout the way it is, I'm starting this new thread, despite the fact that there's probably another one out there.

I bought the Play and Charge kit for the wire.  I have a 360 controller.

How do I get it all to work?

All the cable for the "Play and Charge Kit" does, is CHARGE the batteries.  Nothing else.  You need the wireless gaming receiver.

As always, Play Safe!

• Level   1

ok so lemme get this straight, u people are saying that the plug and play kit is used only for charging the battery pack? then tell me why when you plug and play without the battery in the controller, the wire allows you to play as if u were using a wired controller? u dont need the wireless receiver i just downloaded the software, removed the battery form the controller and plugged it in my laptop, works just fine. dumb asses go somewhere else and convince people to waste money.

• Level   8

Your welcome......

"I don't celebrate because it is my job. When a postman delivers his letters, does he celebrate?" - Mario Balotelli

• Level   9

HeadShotz954

ok so lemme get this straight, u people are saying that the plug and play kit is used only for charging the battery pack? then tell me why when you plug and play without the battery in the controller, the wire allows you to play as if u were using a wired controller? u dont need the wireless receiver i just downloaded the software, removed the battery form the controller and plugged it in my laptop, works just fine. dumb asses go somewhere else and convince people to waste money.

The Wireless 360 controller only works via a wireless signal. When plugged in with a play and charge kit cable, all that cable does is supply power from the 360 (or PC) to charge the battery and power the controller. That's its only job, it does not transmit the controls to the PC.

Steam: Static-Jak

PSN: Static-Jakz

• Level   V

I don't know where you are getting this from, but the cable has 2 wires for battery charging.  It is impossible to use the cable to use the wireless controller for PC gaming without the receiver.  The only way there would be functionality is if someone was using the wired controller.  

To be insaulting and flaming does not good. Play and Charge cable is ONLY 2 little wires using the USB for the charging deliver system from the Xbox/PC to the Controller to charge the batteries...

As always, Play Safe!

• Level   1

can anyone help me to get my usb xbox 360 wired controller for windows to work? Its working fine in device manager but it doesnt work with call of duty world at war

• Level   7

Is the game compatible with the controller?  I'll look later this evening to see, as I have the game and both wired and wireless controllers.

I don't remember being able to use the controllers with that game, but then i rarely use it for anything other than "vehicle" games and third person games.

I'm a m/kb-fps player through and through.

Still, I'll take a look.

• Level   6

Well, yes... World at War. On the US boxes is not marked but in the european boxes is marked that "Supports Xbox 360 Controller for Windows". However the game will not recognise the controller by default but there's an easy tweak that makes it enabled. So i'll write down the solution... again.

1: First of all, make sure that your game is updated to the latest version (either of the patches containing the Xbox 360 Controller support, but i don't know which of them so this is the best way). Important to update, otherwise it will not work.

2: In the game go to: Options & Controls ---> Game Options, and press Yes, to "Enable Console" option

3: Now call the console with the button between 1 and Tab (on Querty Layouts it's ~) and type in the following command: exec default_controller.cfg (and press enter)

After this the menu controls will still not work, but when you're going into the Controls menu, you'll see that some cotrols are already programmed to Xbox Controls (such as A, X, and more). Note that in some case you'll still see the keyboard controls in game.

In default case you'll get the following mapping:

This works with the Wired version, no idea that it's working on the wireless version or not.

Another useful command: input_viewSensitivity number (in place of number type any value between 1.0000 and 5. This will  adjust your R-Stick's sensitivity)

No vibration available (at least i didn't found the way to get it work)

• Level   1

hmm thanks

• Level   V

Many, many times we have addressed this issue.  The play and charge kit WILL NOT physically connect the wireless controller to the PC.  You need the wireless adapter for that.  Try purchasing one and make sure it is Genuine Microsoft.

As always, Play Safe!

• Level   V

Was there a reason to bumping this thread yet again? It was two months old at the last post and before that nearly two years.

Did you need to bring it back simply to repost information that had already been given?

Mass Effect 3 - MEHEM and Extended Anderson Conversation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmofIH7rN9U.