Games for Windows Live Install Fail, error 0x800b0003

• Level   1

DiRT 3, among other games, requires GFWL to play. I've tried many solutions, but nothing has solved this installerror and until it is fixed I can't play any games. I have all critical, important and optional windows updates. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. The weird part is that these games used to work. I rebuilt my computer recently with an ssd boot drive, but the os is the same and so is all the other hardware. So really it should be the same computer, I really don't understand how to solve this problem. I've tried some hotfixes recommended for this error but it seems that this error code is very generic so it's hard to find advice that actually relates. The only forums that discuss my specific issue recommend installing this update: 
    Update for Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition (KB938759)

(here is the forum http://forums.xbox.com/gfw/games_discussion/pc_games_a-d/f/292/t/80426.aspx
    that update is for xp and doesn't want to work on my computer. running it once says i need to be admin. ofcourse, i am. so I run as admin and it says not enough space on the drive or something like that. there are gb's of space on the boot drive and my storage drive, so that doesn't seem to want to work. 

another forum says that this error code is only for xp and that windows vista should not experience this issue (found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960554) I've tried downloading the installer from various locations, but the same thing happens every time.

my buddy has GFWL working just fine, i'm wondering if it's specific to windows 7 ultimate. either way, i am totally out of ideas. any ideas you could offer would be a great help.

thanks a lot,
    kyle 

Found another small detail. So I try to run the installer. It looks like it's downloading, then it fails and gives me the error code: 0x800b0003. Try the support button, and you get a dead link on microsoft's website. Very nice. Open the log files and here's what I find. Setupexe.txt says that the installer downloaded correctly, but as soon as the install was initialized it failed. xliveinstall.txt tells a similar story. Checks the disk space, then downloads the installer. The download finishes, but then it says that the xliveredist.msi was not signed correctly, which means it failed to validate and hence i get an error code. But the xliveredist.msi is the installer file that IT downloaded. So it's failing to validate it's own files? I've tried redownloading the installer and I get the same thing. Very very strange. I'm starting to wonder if it's a registry thing. It was a fluke that happened once, but now it's destined to happen every time because its sitting on my computer somewhere. I really hope someone else has something to contribute.

• Level   V

follow the instructions here.

As always, Play Safe!

• Level   1

I did follow those instructions. I actually said I did in the original post. And I said the results. Those instructions are for Windows XP. I said I had Windows 7. If you read the instructions you sent you'll see it actually specifically states that it is NOT for Windows Vista: "Note You receive this error message only in Windows XP. Windows Vista already includes this update and should not experience this error." I am the OP by the way, it signed me in as some guest account and I'm too lazy to change it.

• Level   3

Hotchilli doesn't read posts.

• Level   S

MaverickSpike,

It's definitely not an issue with Ultimate, or we would encounter this error constantly, so we can rule that out.  Don't worry about the hotfix, that corrects a very specifc eccentricity within XP.

Your SSD isn't split into multiple partitions, is it?

Inside of GFWL, try changing your download directory (it is the first option under the settings tab) to your storage drive instead of your SSD.  Then close GFWL, click on start, search for command and open your command prompt.  Then type bitsadmin /reset in the command prompt and hit enter.  Try to start the download again.  If you can, try to simplify the network connection by direct connecting to your modem with an ethernet cable.  What happens?

If you still have issues, take a look at your list of installed programs.  Do you have all of following--GFWL (client and redistributable), Microsoft .net framework 4.0, Microsoft Silverlight, and the Windows Live ID sign in assistant?

Please reply with your results and any new info that emerges.  You can also contact us at 877-274-4349.

• Level   1

My SSD is split between the C drive and the system reserve, which happened when I installed my OS. I have been unable to install GFWL at all, so I cannot access any directory specifications. I have, however, tried a bitsadmin reset and that didn't change anything. I have the latest .net framework and I believe I have Windows Live ID Sign In Assistant. I do not have Silverlight or anything GFWL related. I never thought that the SSD would be the root of the problem, but that might actually explain it, considering that before I upgraded to that separate boot drive I had GFWL fully operational with no problems. What should I do? I can't exactly delete the system reserve.

• Level   1

I have same problem as ObservedDrip4 (Same error, SSD disk, win7 x64 Ultimate). Is here any solution ?

• Level   1

UP. Can't play any more :(

• Level   V

Did you image your HDD to transfer your OS, or was it a fresh install.  SSD drives have been known to cause issues, so up to you where to go with that.  You can try searching for a resolution, but I know that people have issues with these drives.  I have a hybrid drive and I did a fresh install and have no issues at all.

As always, Play Safe!

• Level   1

I did fresh install.

• Level   V

Try creating a partition, and install the GFWL Client and games into the other partition.

As always, Play Safe!

• Level   1

Partition on SSD or normal disk ? I´ve tried to instal on SSD and normal disk and error still persist. But I think GFWL dont ask me where to install. It chose automaticaly a directory.

• Level   V

Ok, lets look at this from a different angle.  Try to make sure you have .Net Framework 4.0 installed and if not install it.

Uninstall everything including .Net Framework 4.0

Microsoft Silverlight

Windows Live ID Signin assistant

Windows Live Essentials 2011(you don't have to re install the Live ID signin assistant as it is part of Windows Live Essentials 2011.)

As always, Play Safe!

• Level   1

I did it already a many times.

• Level   S

The system reserve space will not have any effect and is required so that is definitely not our issue. Do programs install to the SSD by default (meaning the settings/registry of windows has not modified)?