Authentication 80048821 after changing Live password

• Level   1

Hi there.  So to be safe, I changed my Hotmail password yesterday to a new 20 character password (alpha-numeric, no other characters).  I can log in to Hotmail, Windows Live, Games for Windows Marketplace website and anything else I use my Live ID for.  But I can no longer log in to the GFWL client on my Windows 7 PC. I could log in before but not now. I have checked again and again and I am definitely putting the correct email and password in, but every damn time I get the error:

Can't sign in. The Windows Live ID or password you entered is not valid. Enter your information and sign in again. Code: 80048821. Authentication failed.

There have been no other changes to my computer - so why can I not log in?  I even tried changing my password back to it's old one and could log in to everything except GFWL client. This is so annoying as I can no longer access my games which I paid for!

Please help!

Jon

• Level   3

What happens when you sign into Windows Live messenger?

• Level   1

I'm having the exact same issue yet I have found no solution as of yet.

• Level   2

same here, why no response from customer service ?

• Level   1

I am having the same problem!. And after days and weeks scouring the internet have found NO solution.  I've tried adjusting my bios clock, installing latest version of .net framework and even signed up a new account to test it and that didn't work!.  Some customer service would be nice.

Jonas

• Level   2

Passwords need to be under 16 characters and no non unicode characterws such as $%&%^>< Otherwise you will get that error when signing in to the client

Uh oh... that shouldn't have happened.

It appears you've found a glitch in the system.

• Level   1

thanks.  Taking out the non unicode chars fixed this for me.

• Level   1

Thanks eastmanblues! Who know changing my super secure password would actually fix the issues. Makes no sense to me but I suppose I'm glad it's done.

• Level   1

exact same problem! I've tried making different accounts and everything. it doesn't seem to matter. I don't have any numbers or other odd characters in my pass and it's under 16 characters. I've installed .net framework and still nothing. I can access everything else, just not this. this seriously sucks! any help would be great.

• Level   1

Somebody give eastmanblues a gold medal, a trophy, and three cases of whatever he likes most! I've spent hours to diagnose this, and one short post by a non-Microsoft individual has been more helpful than branching trees of help text.

Thank you, sir!

• Level   1

Still not working for me.. Same error, simple password and email, all correct.

Can't sign in. The Windows Live ID or password you entered is not valid. Enter your information and sign in again. Code: 80048821. Authentication failed.

• Level   1

have same error... any body help?

• Level   1

Thank you so much! That was my problem. I have been working for an hour trying to solve my problem.

• Level   V

And how did you solve it?

As always, Play Safe!

• Level   1

Solved mine by changing my password, thanks to eastmanblues suggestion. The one that was causing the issue had an "&" in it. I could log into everything except Games For Windows Live. When I changed it to a password without the "&", it worked on the first try.