This question has suggested answer(s)

GFWL issue with Batman Arkham City on Windows 8

• Level   3

Hello there,

I got an issue with the retail version of Batman Arkham City on Windows 8 (fresh install).

When I install the game everything is fine, no matter what the GFWL client is. After signing in the game needs to update through GFWL. After the update the games needs to restart, but then GFWL won't pop up anymore, can't sign in to my profile.

I tried to use the latest version of GFWL client but it didn't fix the problem. I also tried to uninstall / reinstall the game and the GFWL client, cleaning registry and all but it did'nt work.

The most confusing is I installed Arkham Asylum too and guess what, it's working without any problem ! Updated the game and launched it, works perfectly.

Please help !

All Replies
    • Level   1

I ve got the same issue.

Since I ve made the WINDOWS 8 update from windows 7, Arkham city loads without launching Game for windows Live.

The game runs perfectly, but it's impossible to save progress.

I've tried to reinstall the game, but it doesn't fix anything.

Every other apps / games / steam / game for windows live  works perfectly after the windows 8 update, though.

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

i ve disactivated physix in the arkham city launcher and it fixed my problem. Now, GFWL launch with arkham city and i can save progress.

• Level   5

Try this -- uninstall the GFWL client and then download the client from here.

Before you reinstall it using the install executable, first right click the file and goto properties. Click the Compatibility tab and put a check next to 'Run This Program in Compatibility Mode' and choose Windows 7. Then put a check next to 'Run This Program As An Administrator'

Once those two options are checked, press OK and then run the install executable. Doing this fixed the issue for me and GFWL games now work properly.

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

Had this same problem.  Downloaded the Game Update BACTU1, unzipped it and ran it manually and lo and behold I could access GFWL again.  I was not able to log in to my gamer tag.  The update kept popping up again and if I ran it I went back to no GFWL.  I was able to create an off-line account and am able to play the game with saves but I lost about 14% of the game when I went from Vista to 8.  Tred game repair and reinstall as well as deletion and reinstall of GFWL client. but nothing worked for me.

Also tried a new game install on a win 7 machine.  Was able to log on with gamer tag but GFWL didn't download the history so lost everything but can play online and get credit with new game and saves.  

• Level   1

Hi! I'm using Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit.

Batman Arkham City and GFWL is running for me, if I turn off the PhysiX the launcher.

GFWL Marketplace is only running on Windows7 mode.

• Level   1

Trying to run Arkham City on Windows 8, too.

Game starts but Live does not Pop up and ask me to sign in. Other GfW Games work fine (Bulletstorm, Lost Planet 2, Dirt 2 are the ones I tried) only Arkham City doesn't show the guide or let me log in.

Tried reinstalling both live from the link provided above and the game - both didn't help

Tried disabling PhysX in the launcher - didn't help

Tried to download the BACTU1 and install it manually - didn't help

Any other suggestions?

• Level   2
    • Suggested Answer

I've done it. I think it is a 64bit problem.

To fix the LIVE popup problem, just copy the following files to "Windows\System32".

xlive.dll, xlive.dll (Security Catalogue), xlivefnt.dll, xliveinstall.dll, xliveinstallhost.exe.

The files are in: "Windows\SysWOW64.

Hope this helps.

Arkham City runs in 32bit mode so won't find the the .dll's in SysWOW64 folder.

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

thats it dude ! you fix it, yoursolution worked for me too !

Awesome, thx !!

"I've done it. I think it is a 64bit problem.

To fix the LIVE popup problem, just copy the following files to "Windows\System32".

xlive.dll, xlive.dll (Security Catalogue), xlivefnt.dll, xliveinstall.dll, xliveinstallhost.exe.

Hope this helps.

"

• Level   1

"I've done it. I think it is a 64bit problem.

Hope this helps.

"

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thank you so much.

After many reinstalls of the game and GFWL, and a clean install of Win8 Pro, I was about to give up then found this and now I'm up and running again.

• Level   1

Wow, thanks for sharing this solution MendelsRage! Works for me too!

• Level   2

Glad, to hear I'm already helping people out here.

I just bought windows 8 pro and Arkham City was the first game I installed.

Then you get this stupid Windows Live not popping up.

You just don't don't think it would be the actual LIVE program.

I spent a long time figuring out this stupid problem and turned out to be that MICROSOFT is the problem.

Unbelievable. "MICROSOFT, FIX IT SO WE DON'T HAVE TO MOVE FILES AROUND.

Everyone. Enjoy the game once again.  

• Level   1

It worked!.

Fresh Windows 8 install, Batman arkham City + GFW live installation in compatibility mode with Windows 7 an Admin rights.

That is the Key!.

Thanks a lot!

Microsoft, shame on you!

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

I am on Windows 8 with BAC installed via steam. I downloaded BAC from Steam and then had to uninstall GFWMarketplace (it's no longer games for windows live), and re install. When I installed GFWM I did it with compatibility mode for windows 7... After installing I opened BAC via steam and it appeared and asked me for my ID. Loaded my profile I thought I had lost too. Thanks for providing that answer!

• Level   1

Thanksss MendelsRage!!

• Level   1

Hey I dont have those files .