GFWL crashes when opened after update

• Level   2

Hi Ive serious problems with gfwl for some time now. It crashes when opened and thus I cant play gta 4 or batman arkham asylum.  When I try to open the game it just says "gta 4 has stopped working".It seems that the newest version just doesnt work. If I install it from the included installer in the games (steam versions) which is version 3.1 everything's fine and works. But after the required update on 3.5 it just crashes. I reinstalled all gfwl components as well as .Net framework 4, silverlight, sign-in assistent and live essentials in every possible combination. If I try to log into the live messenger I get error 8007007e. Recently I realized that my internet explorer doesnt open too. The window just pops up and disappears again. I use win7 home premium 64bit with AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor, 4 gb ram, ASUS EAH5850 grafics and two different hard drives, one 300gb just for windows and stuff that needs to be on windows partition and a 1tb for the rest, including all programms such as steam. I changed the standard installation path in the registry so that programms dont just install themselves on the windows harddrive but gfwl, essentials and so on are automatically on the 300gb drive, probably because they install where windows is. 

• Level   S

Exikon--

You are most likely not getting the update to fully install. An easy way to confirm this is:

1. Open Games for Windows LIVE Marketplace

2. Sign in to your account

3. Click "Settings"

4. Scroll to the bottom and there you will find two version numbers. If the client is fully updated, you should see: "3.5.0050.0 / 3.5.0092.0". If not, you will most likely see: "3.5.0050.0 / 3.5.0088.0" (could possibly be lower than 88)

5. If your GFWL is not up to date, download this file. This is the isolated update in a .cab file.

Once downloading, extract the contents of the .cab to your desktop and run the file labeled XLiveUpdate.msi. This should run the update process without needing to launch a game, there-by avoiding the "exit to complete installation" issue.

Let us know how this goes!

• Level   V

If you are having a problem with IE, then this could be your problem with GFWL.  GFWL is tied to IE.  This sounds like a windows issue that needs to be resolved.  Can you recall when this issue started?  Try going to control panel and then internet options and reset your browser.

As always, Play Safe!

• Level   2

I would be happy if marketplace would even open. If I start it the marketplace label comes up and it loads for a few seconds and than it just disappears. Not even the process is still running than. The version number in the system control panel for the marketplace is 3.5.50.0 and for the gfwl redistributable it says 3.5.92.0

• Level   2

I never use IE so perhaps it's already broken for some time. Maybe since when I changed some stuff in the registry and I only remarked it when I tried to use gfwl because everything else runs without problems on my system even driver updates. Reseting didnt help btw, thx anyway.

• Level   S

Alright, in that case, let's open GFWL, let it crash and check event viewer for an error.

To open event viewer:

In 7/Vista--

-Open the Start Menu

-In the search box type "eventvwr.msc" (without quotes) and hit enter

-When event viewer appears, expand "Windows Logs"

-Select "Application"

-Locate the error corresponding with the crash, right-click, expand "Copy and select "Copy Details as Text"

In XP--

-Open the Start Menu

-Select "Run"

--In the box which appears, type "eventvwr.msc" (without quotes) and hit enter

-Expand "Event Viewer (Local)"

-Select "Application"

-Locate the error corresponding with the crash, right-click, expand "Copy and select "Copy Details as Text"

• Level   2

Ok here's the error reinstalled it with the cab. file meanwhile btw still not working

some of it is in german I think cause my windows is set on german:

Protokollname: Application

Quelle:        Application Error

Datum:         10.01.2012 21:13:32

Ereignis-ID:   1000

Aufgabenkategorie:(100)

Ebene:         Fehler

Schlüsselwörter:Klassisch

Benutzer:      Nicht zutreffend

Computer:      SimonsPC

Beschreibung:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: GFWLClient.exe, Version: 3.5.50.0, Zeitstempel: 0x4d93c2a6

Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: KERNELBASE.dll, Version: 6.1.7601.17651, Zeitstempel: 0x4e211319

Ausnahmecode: 0xe0434352

Fehleroffset: 0x0000b9bc

ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x144

Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01cccfd450fff1cd

Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE\Client\GFWLClient.exe

Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll

Berichtskennung: 9142d149-3bc7-11e1-b17f-6cf049022741

Ereignis-XML:

<Event xmlns="schemas.microsoft.com/.../event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-01-10T20:13:32.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>33977</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>SimonsPC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>GFWLClient.exe</Data>

<Data>3.5.50.0</Data>

<Data>4d93c2a6</Data>

<Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data>

<Data>6.1.7601.17651</Data>

<Data>4e211319</Data>

<Data>e0434352</Data>

<Data>0000b9bc</Data>

<Data>144</Data>

<Data>01cccfd450fff1cd</Data>

<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE\Client\GFWLClient.exe</Data>

<Data>C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll</Data>

<Data>9142d149-3bc7-11e1-b17f-6cf049022741</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

• Level   2

it seems that .Net framework crashed jsut before gfwl did:

Aufgabenkategorie:Keine

Ebene:         Fehler

Schlüsselwörter:Klassisch

Benutzer:      Nicht zutreffend

Computer:      SimonsPC

Beschreibung:

Anwendung: GFWLClient.exe

Frameworkversion: v4.0.30319

Beschreibung: Der Prozess wurde aufgrund einer unbehandelten Ausnahme beendet.

Ausnahmeinformationen: System.BadImageFormatException

Stapel:

bei Microsoft.GamesForWindows.LiveClient.App.OnStartup(System.Windows.StartupEventArgs)

bei System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1(System.Object)

bei System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

bei MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)

bei System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()

bei System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object)

bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(System.Object)

bei System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode, CleanupCode, System.Object)

bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

bei System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()

bei System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()

bei System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)

bei MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)

bei MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)

bei System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

bei MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)

bei System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

bei MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

bei MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)

bei System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)

bei System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)

bei System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)

bei System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)

bei System.Windows.Application.Run(System.Windows.Window)

bei Microsoft.GamesForWindows.LiveClient.App.Main()

Ereignis-XML:

<Event xmlns="schemas.microsoft.com/.../event">

<System>

<Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-01-10T20:19:21.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>33986</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>SimonsPC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>Anwendung: GFWLClient.exe

Frameworkversion: v4.0.30319

Beschreibung: Der Prozess wurde aufgrund einer unbehandelten Ausnahme beendet.

Ausnahmeinformationen: System.BadImageFormatException

Stapel:

bei Microsoft.GamesForWindows.LiveClient.App.OnStartup(System.Windows.StartupEventArgs)

bei System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1(System.Object)

bei System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()

bei System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object)

bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(System.Object)

bei System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode, CleanupCode, System.Object)

bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

bei System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()

bei System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()

bei System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)

bei MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)

bei MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)

bei System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

bei MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

bei MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)

bei System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)

bei System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)

bei System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)

bei System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)

bei System.Windows.Application.Run(System.Windows.Window)

bei Microsoft.GamesForWindows.LiveClient.App.Main()

</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

• Level   S

Excellent, thank you.

I found a thread here on Microsoft Answers dealing with the same error you're experiencing.

Can you please create a new user account and attempt to open the Marketplace again? I'm curious to see if we can generate the same error code being discussed there.

How to create a user account in Windows 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-user-account 

• Level   2

Ok created a user account and it changed something I get the message marketplace stopped working and this error details:

Problemsignatur:

Problemereignisname: CLR20r3

Problemsignatur 01: gfwlclient.exe

Problemsignatur 02: 1.0.0.0

Problemsignatur 03: 4d93c2a6

Problemsignatur 04: XLiveServices

Problemsignatur 05: 1.0.0.0

Problemsignatur 06: 4d93c2a5

Problemsignatur 07: 5bb

Problemsignatur 08: 4d3

Problemsignatur 09: System.BadImageFormatException

Betriebsystemversion: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Gebietsschema-ID: 1031

Zusatzinformation 1: 0a9e

Zusatzinformation 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Zusatzinformation 3: 0a9e

Zusatzinformation 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I will try the solution from the thread you linked, seems like that's exactly my problem.