This question has suggested answer(s)

ATT UVERSE MTU ERROR OUTAGE 22 HOURS ET FOR REPAIR AS OF 445pm EST.

• Level   5

Just confirmed on XBLA Tech support that ATT is having a huge problem with MTU issues in their UVERSE packaged DSL service. This issue may have become a problem this morning across Florida and throughout the southeast.

Thought I was crazy all day when I couldn't sign in.

All Replies
    • Level   9
    • Suggested Answer

Greetings PhallicBalldwin!

Thank you so much for letting us know!

Do you by any chance have a link to their operating information, regarding this issue?

Thanks! 

• Level   1

wait so what does this mean it wont let me on either it says my modem wont connect to the internet but im on my computer using the same internet right now

• Level   1

thanks for info.  I was going crazy

• Level   9

@SemiFlush40 Are you using ATT UVERSE as your Internet Service Provider?

• Level   2

I am also affected.  Have used uverse live with Xbox for years without a problem.  now, it connects to router.but not to Internet.  Win 7 laptop, iPad and iMac are all connected fine.  Very strange and inconvenient.   ATL, Ga area..

• Level   2

Thanks for the post, turns out ATT Uverse is having service outages across the US. I feel that it is somehow related to the MTU error.

• Level   1

Wait, so is there a solution to the problem? I wanna play Xbox!

• Level   1

taidara yes i am! but what is a MTU error? ATL queens situation is exactly whats happening

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

support.xbox.com/.../error-your-network-does-not-have-sufficient-mtu-setting-979104

• Level   1

I'm having the same problem and I pay for the max plan. I'm in southeast FL and my internet was down from about 5 pm EST until 11 pm EST last night. Today I have internet but I keep getting MTU when trying to sign on (I've reset my modem about 6 times so far). The AT&T technical support has not been helpful at all fixing this but maybe its because they can't. Do we have to wait it out until they fix whatever problem they are having or is it a problem the individual user can fix?

• Level   4

Thanks for a great post PhallicBalldwin.

@Al BMF Bundy :: In my opinion, the individual user cannot fix the issue, which manifests itself on my device as MTU < 600 (when it should be 1364 and the modem is set to 1500). I spent quite a while trying to solve the problem myself with all of the XBL troubleshooters and AT&T troubleshooters & modem settings. I've hooked right into the modem. I've used connection sharing with a perfectly fine laptop. I've changed the MTU on the modem itself. Etc., etc...

When you find out your DNS address, you can type it into your address bar and look up settings > broadband, and I suspect you'll see a low MTU also.

@SemiFlush40 :: MTU = maximum transmission units. Xbox can't send the amount of info it needs in data packets. I am not 100% convinced that this is the _only_ issue with AT&T's network, though. But I am not aware of any way for individual users to fix this yet.

• Level   1

You're right my MTU says 576 right now. Thanks for the info, I knew how to get to my DNS address I just didn't see the MTU anywhere. So you're saying there's no way for me to fix this even if I figure out how to change it myself? I really don't want to call back again with this new information if they are going to tell me its a problem on their end that I have to wait out.

• Level   2

I was told by MS tech support that att was aware and working on it.  Nothing to do on my end but wait.  Just hope it is true.   Weird...   Ihave to run a very robust  people soft app that goes thru 2  vpns and it works fine from  my LAN.  but, no Xbox .  Dont think any troubleshooting is needed on this end....

• Level   1

Damn I want to play the xbox lol. I am having the same problem and I am in OK...

• Level   9

@SemiFlush40 To keep a long story short. When an application on your Xbox is trying to communicate with the Xbox LIVE servers it will send the information in a IP packet. The data field (IP packet) inside an Ethernet frame is limited on the maximum transmission unit (MTU) to 1500 (1460) byte as the largest IP MTU allowed over the Internet. Xbox LIVE services requires a minumum setting for 1364. The problem with ATT seems to be (at this moment) that they do not allow a larger frame size then 1364 segments and in such, these segments will be dropped.