XIM3 giving gamers unfair advantage

• Level   1

How is using a XIM3 not a bannable offense? Using a mouse and keyboard in online multiplayer games such as MW3 gives a huge huge advantage - pinpoint accuracy, better movement etc. How is this allowed? Considering that most console FPS games have aim-assist already to combat the less precise controls of a controller setup, it is ridiculous. 

They seem to be becoming more widespread now, too, and I don't like feeling at a disadvantage because I am not prepared to pay for a third-party peripheral to level the playing field.

Will anything be done about this?

• Level   M

If you believe players are using a controller that breaks the Terms of Use, please file a complaint against the players via your console.

I also want to add that using a keyboard and mouse on a game designed to be played with a controller doesn't give the player a "huge, huge advantage."

2010-12 Xbox MVP Alumni

The King of Firefight has a Twitter

Post provided "as-is." Confers no rights.

• Level   5

Nothing will ever be done about the XiM3 players to answer your question. Nothing.

• Level   5

As Fullmetal said using a mouse and keyboard on a game optimized for controllers offers zero advantage. Its personal preference and now users have that choice.

If you don't believe our comments check out games like Shadowrun which where cross platform but optimized so keyboard and mouse users had zero advantage over the console players.

Sorry OP but your view is wrong.

• Level   8

It is worth remembering that this does not give true keyboard and mouse support. All the device does is trick the console into thinking that a controller is connected.

-

This means that you are still going to be tied to the limitations of what a controller can do. So while arguably it will give you better accuracy, the smoothness of motion given by the analogue sticks will be lost because of using WASD.

-

In fact movement will be hampered because not only are you going to be tied to just four directions by WASD but slight movements will be made more difficult because of the translation of a digital input from a keyboard into the analogue movements of a controller.

Mass Effect 3 - MEHEM and Extended Anderson Conversation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmofIH7rN9U.

• Level   3

YR TEEFS

How is using a XIM3 not a bannable offense? Using a mouse and keyboard in online multiplayer games such as MW3 gives a huge huge advantage - pinpoint accuracy, better movement etc. How is this allowed? Considering that most console FPS games have aim-assist already to combat the less precise controls of a controller setup, it is ridiculous. 

They seem to be becoming more widespread now, too, and I don't like feeling at a disadvantage because I am not prepared to pay for a third-party peripheral to level the playing field.

Will anything be done about this?

I agree, We should ban these people.

These days there are too many people stepping out too far from the allocated bounderies of acceptable procedure. People who choose to use a different interface to access their xbox deserve to be banned, they need to learn to conform to changes rather than rebel against the norms.

I wish to make the world a HAPPIER AND SAFER PLACE!

• Level   3

I'll tell you this right now. It doesn't matter..... I use my xbox controler when I play bf3 on my pc, I don't like using keyboerd and mouse, I still own on the pc using my xbox controler! It  to me it doesn't matter what they're using unless its hackers.

• Level   2

As the above posters have said, it doesn't really give them a "huge" advantage. Better accuracy, maybe, but that's it. Should they be banned? Depends. Personally I think they should since they're not using the controller in the way it is intended. But again, it does not offer any huge advantage. Besides, for $150 who would want that piece of crap?

• Level   1

This is false, the XIM3 is designed to give players an unfair advantage. Instead of a player getting better and more accustomed to using the controller it offers an artificial out.

The argument that "I'm a PC player, and I don't know how to use a controller." is just a cop-out, the reality is these people don't have the necessary skill or patience to be any good on a level playing field.

The videos and scores don't lie, just look at the XIM3 forums, "I had a 0.80 K/D now I'm getting 2.0+ K/D."

• Level   2

Pfff, people complaining about others using a mouse and keyboard probablys suck at the game they're playing and just want to shift the blame to those using a keyboard and mouse.

Personally, i enjoy PC shooters like Z-doom where i use a mouse and keyboard, it's pretty fun, but $150/£75 for a keyboard and mouse? I'd rather not.

If you camp, I'll bomb your campsite.
    • Level   1

More likely, people who say there is no advantage are probably inexperienced with such devices, or they are trying to justify/hide buying a XIM3.

If you don't have an instant advantage to using a mouse and keyboard your doing it wrong, the mouse and keyboard are far superious in terms of speed and acuracy then a gamepad is, this was first proven with Quake 3 Arena when it pinned PC players vs Dreamcast players.

• Level   5

Hmm, I didn't know such devices existed. I guess this explains some of the amazing headshots I had been seeing in Halo recently....

• Level   1

You're under the misconception that running a mouse through an adapter does more than emulate the gamepad. It doesn't. The speed of aiming is still limited by the same constraints that the game uses for the gamepad because those are the only available parameters. There is no native mouselook for the mouse to unlock the speed and pixel-to-pixel precision it would have on a PC. This is one of my gripes about XIM3 marketing. One-to-one or linear control is true, up to the maximum turn speed allowed by the game, but pixel precision is still a matter of starting and stopping movement of the mouse in the same way one would use the joystick.

While a mouse can prove to be less temperamental than a miniature joystick, on a console this is entirely a matter of ergonomics and physical control. Higher speeds come from the player being able to handle maximum in-game sensitivity more easily than with the unweildy thumbstick, and precision from the fact that the mouse is more straightforward in handling where starting, stopping and changing direction of the hand are more efficient tasks than centering and then tilting the thumbstick to the proper angle, for the proper amount of time, until the turn is complete and the stick must once again be centered, all with only a single thumb. Any advantage offered is, to a greater degree, the same a player might get from a larger joystick.

• Level   4

I's a massive advantage, it takes a moment to point a mouse and there's no reason not to always be bang on with head shots.  It's a snipers' delight with sensitivity turned to high you can just cack the other player out like opening an app.  The problem with the controllers isn't speed of response it's a limit in design because the sticks must re-centre while a mouse doesn't have that limitation, the controller also gives resistance because the sticks must re-centre and again of course the mouse doesn't.

User Banned.

• Level   1

people who suck at the game usually are fine with getting a kill every once in a while but the hardcore gamers get a little pissed of when they get killed with what appears to be 100% precision