This question is not answered

Why Do We Have To Pay For Xbox Live?

• Level   1

Why do we have to pay for xbox live when PS3 is free? Im not trying to be a pain in the butt about it, but i just wanna know why.

All Replies
    • Level   4

Good question.

Your paying for the security mostly. And to maintain smooth online matchmaking.

• Level   8

You don't have to pay for XBL. It is free. If you want to play ONLINE then you have to pay. But even then it is only $0.17/day @ 12 months. A great bargain for what you get. If you look around online you can even find Live subs for much cheaper than advertised.

If I would have to venture a guess though it would be to help maintain the Live servers and for security enforcement.

• Level   5

Take a look at all the things Microsoft brings to Xbox and Xbox LIVE. Things no other systems have. Added security, Zune, Netflix, ESPN, Twitter........the list goes on like that for a while. Sure some systems have Netflix but the Xbox is different. This thing is more of a family entertainment center then and other out there.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did -- in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

• Level   1

I hate to break it down but if u want to play online for free i say go with pc all the way ive had an xbox 360 for 3 years now and its starting to **** me off how i have to pay for it when i have a decent pc in front of me i can play for free... all of the things an xbox has pc also has EXCEPT some of the games like halo idk y they put it to xbox exclusive after halo 2 and gow series... but other than that i honestly find world of warcraft a better bargin than xbox some times >.>

• Level   8

You pay for specifically, a Unified Profile and Account/ Service Security. XBL has a Team that is dedicated to enforcing the Terms of Use and Code of Conduct, all other Platforms are at your own risk. XBL has one Universal Profile that that everyone takes for granted all the time, no other Platform offers this. That is what one would be paying for.

Other then the above, it's simply choice. Pay or do not pay and you won't get MP Match Making for free.

"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening. His ilk serves no role in what is to come."

• Level   8

Why we pay is simple because we were willing to pay the money when the system launched. They tried to charge for online play on the GFWL titles but swiftly dropped the Gold requirement when they realised that people would boycott the brand.

Mass Effect 3 - MEHEM and Extended Anderson Conversation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmofIH7rN9U.

• Level   5

It life kid. Why we are charge ever month from our local goverment to lived on our houes. It becoues that money goes to public schools. PSN there is no TOS/COC there there services. You can say death treaths. Like I gonna kill you n888er and you famliy. There mostly no mod in PSN. So threat of any kind is allowed on PSN.  And that the fact.

• Level   7

Temhotabot

You don't have to pay for XBL. It is free. If you want to play ONLINE then you have to pay. But even then it is only $0.17/day @ 12 months. A great bargain for what you get. If you look around online you can even find Live subs for much cheaper than advertised.

If I would have to venture a guess though it would be to help maintain the Live servers and for security enforcement.

I respectfully disagree. 

Don't make this any harder than it needs to be.

• Level   7

fyerball 72

Take a look at all the things Microsoft brings to Xbox and Xbox LIVE. Things no other systems have. Added security, Zune, Netflix, ESPN, Twitter........the list goes on like that for a while. Sure some systems have Netflix but the Xbox is different. This thing is more of a family entertainment center then and other out there.

Some of these apps are free to use on PC and do not justify a price increase.  Added security should be optional to pay for.

• Level   5

LOL AT UR SKILL

fyerball 72

Some of these apps are free to use on PC and do not justify a price increase.  Added security should be optional to pay for.

Yea, just like you buy a car but you still have to pay for gas to use the car. Yet you can walk some where for free. Your will to pay a little more sometimes to not have to walk ;)

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did -- in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

• Level   7

Fair enough but that still doesn't explain the increases in xbox live fees and why Microsoft makes some extra money off advertisements on the dashboard.

• Level   5

Xbox live didn't increase for me.

Cards are still 45 dollars/12 months at my game strore

• Level   8

LOL AT UR SKILL

Fair enough but that still doesn't explain the increases in xbox live fees and why Microsoft makes some extra money off advertisements on the dashboard.

Quite simple really. Microsoft is a business and like any business they are here for profit. XBL has not seen a price increase in 8 years. Name one other business that has not increased their fees for a 8 year period, while providing constant updates and features and content. And come on, really? People are going to complain about a $10/year increase? Do any of you smoke?

• Level   2

Bing Playstation Network security breach and you will realize why we pay for Xbox Live.

• Level   5

^ that person sayed the truth. And you think life is free. Sorry to sayed. But it not.