How do I get my surround sound to work with my xbox S

• Level   3

Hi all,

I have never been on here posting before so if it's in the wrong section apologies in advance.

I have an xbox 360 S with a HDMI cable which I have been using through my tv which is KDL-40BX420.  With the xbox I have the black AV with the yellow, red and white plugs that came with the xbox.  I have also bought the big HDTV cable ages ago, but never used.

I also have one optical cable, but the sony surround I have (DAV-TZ140) doesn't come with an optical output or input and only has 1 HDMI.

I can supply pics in needed?

Many thanks...

• Level   2

dose your tv support arc? should be hdmi 1 for arc

Join Buddiespace.net its a new teen chat

Beta Tester for xbox.  2011,2012,2013

• Level   2

You can't get 5.1 sound from the 360 to the home theater with the setup you have.

One possible solution is an HDMI matrix switch that has dual output, like this. One output would go to the TV for video, the other to the surround sound unit for 5.1 audio.

• Level   4

Would I need the HDMI matrix switcher if i wanna use a soundbar on my 360? My tv only has optical audio out.

• Level   2

you wont need a switch at all you can get 5.1 sound from the setup you have.

one just plug your sound system in to hdmi port 1. then go to settings and make sure everything looks good

then plug yourxbox in hdmi 2 and your sound system will work they way it should for both sound and video no need for a switcher at all.

Join Buddiespace.net its a new teen chat

Beta Tester for xbox.  2011,2012,2013

• Level   3

Does the sound bar have hdmi loop through? meaning a hdmi in and out? if so just loop your hdmi from the xbox through the sound bar to the tv

1 Original XBOX 1 LE Mt. Dew XBOX 1 LE Blue Halo 2 XBOX 1 LE RE XBOX360 Thank you Microsoft Bawk Bawk nWo 4 Life

• Level   8

The Audio RCA inputs should be processed through an Analogue to Digital converter & be outputted to the speakers in 5ch Stereo or 5.1 Dolby..

Plug the Xbox360 HDMI cable to your TV & use an Audio Composite cable from Audio Out (Red/White) on TV to Audio Input on Sound System...  Seeing how both the TV & DVD Sound System are Sony, you should be able to use "Bravia Sync" too.. Your TV User Manual should have more information on Bravia Sync..

• Level   8

Red/White RCA cables on the 360 transport only stereo signals. Best they can do is Dolby Pro Logic.

Buttplug888 wants 5.1. He can't get 5.1 without more equipment.

BeAr GrYlLs 619 has a sound bar. I believe his is fine if I recall other posts about it correctly.

• Level   8

IceStorm III

Red/White RCA cables on the 360 transport only stereo signals. Best they can do is Dolby Pro Logic.

Wrong... I just bought my Brothers old 8 Ohm JVC RX-6042 off him today for $50, so I can use it as another Stereo Link Amp & it converts Analogue Composite "Red/White" to Dolby Pro Logic II, along with DSP Settings...

The input on the OP's Sony DVD Sound System, should convert Analogue Input to Dolby Pro Logic II via DAC, If it supports DPL II..

• Level   8

NanoTechSoldier
    Wrong... I just bought my Brothers old 8 Ohm JVC RX-6042 off him today for $50, so I can use it as another Stereo Link Amp & it converts Analogue Composite "Red/White" to Dolby Pro Logic II, along with DSP Settings...

I was speaking from the perspective of what the 360 supports over analog RCA cables. I was incorrect as well. The 360 only supports stereo over analog. No Dolby Pro Logic.
    The input on the OP's Sony DVD Sound System, should convert Analogue Input to Dolby Pro Logic II via DAC, If it supports DPL II..
    That's not how Dolby's analog multi-channel formats work. The audio source has to be in a Dolby analog surround format for the remote end to decode it. Since the 360 doesn't output any Dolby analog surround format, he's stuck without another piece of equipment.

As suggested earlier, an HDMI switch that can drive two outputs from one input will suit his needs. He could also use a device that converts from optical to HDMI, though they appear to be about the same price.

• Level   8

Sorry, Ice, but you happen to be wrong. Pro Logic was specifically designed to scale any stereo signal into 5.1.

www.dolby.com/.../dolby-pro-logic-ii-details.html

It's DSP driven and not reliant on the signal being Dolby encoded.

No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it off to forced conscious expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten.

• Level   8

Endgamez
    Sorry, Ice, but you happen to be wrong. Pro Logic was specifically designed to scale any stereo signal into 5.1.

To be very specific, Pro Logic II and successors fake a multichannel sound field from a stereo input. Pro Logic requires an encoded signal. Buttplug888's HTiB lists only Dolby Pro Logic decoding, not Dolby Pro Logic II processing.

The JVC RX-6042 can fake a 5.1 field from a stereo signal as it has Dolby Pro Logic II support, but that doesn't change what the 360 outputs by default. There's no Dolby Pro Logic logo on the box. There's no reason to believe the console does Dolby Pro Logic encoding for analog audio.

• Level   8

Either way IceStorm III, The Sony DAV-TZ140 will convert the Composite Audio Input to 5.1 Dolby Pro Logic I...

• Level   8

NanoTechSoldier
    Either way IceStorm III, The Sony DAV-TZ140 will convert the Composite Audio Input to 5.1 Dolby Pro Logic I...

As I mentioned earlier (in the post right before yours, in fact), Dolby Pro Logic requires the signal to be encoded that way at the source. It's Dolby Pro Logic II that takes a stereo signal and fakes 5.1 from it. The DAV-TZ140 only lists support for Dolby Pro Logic, not Dolby Pro Logic II.

• Level   5

IceStorm III

NanoTechSoldier

As I mentioned earlier (in the post right before yours, in fact), Dolby Pro Logic requires the signal to be encoded that way at the source. It's Dolby Pro Logic II that takes a stereo signal and fakes 5.1 from it. The DAV-TZ140 only lists support for Dolby Pro Logic, not Dolby Pro Logic II.

That is incorrect though, Dolby Pro Logic will convert a plain stereo signal into matrixed surround sound. Dolby Pro Logic II is just a more advanced version of that.