Help connecting xbox to DVI monitor

• Level   3

Hi, I've searched youtube and a few other forums and still no luck. I have a HP LP3065 monitor with DVI dual link inputs. Not sure if i have the dual link cable, anyway i also have dvi to hdmi adapter, this set up works with my laptop but not with my xbox.  the standby light on the monitor just flashes green. any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

• Level   5

Do you mean you have a HDMI-to-DVI adapter (male HDMI on one end, female DVI connector on the other end)? DVI to HDMI is if you were connecting a graphics card to a LCD TV that has no DVI input (they never really did. DVI only gained ground in the monitor market). Laptops don't really carry DVI connectons either so i assumed you ment HDMI to DVI by that as well.

\

If this is the case, the reason you may not be seeing video is by default, the Xbox 360 does not support DVI connections (even though HDMI is a form of DVI connection, it uses audio and is "smarter" than DVI in general) . You can try holding the Y-button and right trigger when you start the console until the console RESTARTS by holding those two controls. after about 30 seconds, the xbox should flash  its rings again and "restart" but also resetting your video display settings at the same time. Now, it might be a "Display Discovery" issue as well (option that auto-detects your monitor/TV's supported settings from its internal EDID chip).

\

You will have to somehow get a picture to show using a different display with HDMI and then switch this option off, but if you dont have the option, look at a youtube video and then try blindly doing it by looking at the video's instructions.

\

Most likely, its an HDCP issue as the HDCP link doesnt always get passed from DVI to HDMI format or vice-versa. Try these steps and report back or buy the VGA adapter if all else fails (modern monitors still carry VGA, but LCD TV's are starting to take this connection away in favor of HDMI).

Ask me how to reduce the input lag on your HDTV/AV Receiver.

My Internet Connection

• Level   8

Stop try to be so technical, MDA Cheezburger... A DVI to HDMI Adapter, can be used both ways DVI-HDMI or HDMI-DVI, if it has a Male DVI head..

You understood what Dropbear87 meant by a DVI - HDMI Adapter & is relevant to many Computer Component Stores etc..

You can have a HDMI Graphics Card to DVI or a DVI Graphics Card to HDMI...

@Dropbear87..  Make sure you are using a DVI-D to HDMI Cable & not a DVI-I to HDMI Cable, as the Wiring is different in the cables & DVI-I Doesn't support HDCP etc.. Not sure, what two DVI to HDMI Cables came with the HP Monitor..

Nice monitor by-the-way..

Below is a pic of how to differentiate DVI-I from DVI-D..

• Level   8

• Level   8

Dropbear87
    this set up works with my laptop but not with my xbox.

What resolution is your laptop set to when outputting over HDMI?

The HP LP3065 is listed as only supporting 1280x800 over single-link DVI (what the HDMI output on the 360 is equivalent to). Disable display discovery and manually set the 360 to 1280x800 using another monitor, then connect it to the HP.

• Level   8

I don't think a Laptop Resolution, is set to 2560x1600 though, IceStorm III...

It is to do with HDMI v1.2 Specifications on the Xbox 360 & also the monitors Pixels Clock Rate/Speed of 275MHz..

-

HDMI v1.2 Pixel Clock Rate/Speed = 165MHz

HDMI v1.3 Pixel Clock Rate/Speed = 340MHz (Compatible with Dual Link DVI-D Monitors)

Type A HDMI Cables (Consoles) are Electrically Compatible with DVI-D Single Link Interface..

Type B HDMI Cables are Electrically Compatible with DVI-D Dual Link Interface..

-

You can't use Color Space "YCbCr" with DVI either & have to set to RGB Color Space..

-

So, sorry mate.. After looking further into it, your monitor is incompatible, with the Xbox 360 using HDMI v1.2, unless DVI-D Single Link works at a Pixel Clock Rate/Speed of 275Mhz for your monitor..

• Level   8

NanoTechSoldier
    I don't think a Laptop Resolution, is set to 2560x1600 though, IceStorm III...

That was the point of asking him to confirm what resolution his laptop is set to.
    It is to do with HDMI v1.2 Specifications
    It has very little to do with the issue.

Most devices with HDMI support, including high end video cards, do not support anything over 1920x1080 (or 1920x1200) over HDMI.

As the HP LP3065 has a very simple scaler (it can double the input resolution), the only supported resolution over slngle link DVI (what HDMI will map to on the vast majority of available HDMI ports in service today) is 1280x800.

After looking further into it, your monitor is incompatible, with the Xbox 360
    It's not "incompatible". It works at exactly one resolution - 1280x800. It's the same as any other 2560x1600 monitor that lacks a proper scaler.

• Level   8

IceStorm III

It has very little to do with the issue.

It has everything to do with HDMI v1.2 Specifications & the Monitors Pixel Clock Rate/Speed is 275MHz, nearing HDMI v1.3/1.4 Specifications..

The monitors Pixel Clock rate, is faster than the HDMI v1.2 Pixel Clock Rate of the Xbox 360 & the monitor won't synch with the Xbox 360 Pixel Clock Rate & the RGB Color Space Data Signal to make the monitor come out of Standby Mode & display the image on screen etc..

-

Single link maximum data rate including 8b/10b overhead is 4.95 Gbit/s @ 165 MHz.

Any faster than 165MHz for DVI Single Link connections & the Clock/Data Recovery is out of whack & won't sync or process the video source..

-

The monitor is designed for WQXGA 2560x1600 @ 60Hz (269MHz Dual Link Pixel Clock Rate)

• Level   8

NanoTechSoldier
    The monitor is designed for WQXGA 2560x1600 @ 60Hz (269MHz Dual Link Pixel Clock Rate)

It also accepts a single link DVI (HDMI) signal at 1280x800. This is well documented in several reviews. It's also what other 2560x1600 displays support as well.

• Level   8

I figured, you just looked @ DVI Dual Link 2560x1600 & thought Single Link is 1280x800, as DVI can run @ ~1920x1080 & hardly any review i've looked at, states 1280x800 Single Link..

• Level   8

NanoTechSoldier
    I figured, you just looked @ DVI Dual Link 2560x1600 & thought Single Link is 1280x800,

There's no reason to believe that given my second post in this thread.
    & hardly any review i've looked at, states 1280x800 Single Link..
    Your posts in this thread have made it clear that you aren't familar with the 30" 2560x1600 monitor market.

• Level   8

IceStorm III

There's no reason to believe that given my second post in this thread.

What this...

IceStorm III

Most devices with HDMI support, including high end video cards, do not support anything over 1920x1080 (or 1920x1200) over HDMI.

-

As the HP LP3065 has a very simple scaler (it can double the input resolution), the only supported resolution over slngle link DVI (what HDMI will map to on the vast majority of available HDMI ports in service today) is 1280x800.

1. HDMI v1.3 or v1.4 for BluRay Compatible Graphics Cards (AMD HD7970) are capable of 4096x2160 over 4K HDMI v1.4..

2. You have stated in your second post, that DVI Single Link is 1280x800, which is completely wrong..

en.wikipedia.org/.../Digital_Visual_Interface

IceStorm III

Your posts in this thread have made it clear that you aren't familar with the 30" 2560x1600 monitor market.

Whatever, IceStorm III... You have made quite clear, that you don't anything about it..

I work in Graphics Design & see these monitors all the time & my brother, worked for an Advertisement Agency... They are normally on MacPros, before PCs..

• Level   8

NanoTechSoldier
    1. HDMI v1.3 or v1.4 for BluRay Compatible Graphics Cards (AMD HD7970) are capable of 4096x2160 over 4K HDMI v1.4..

Which doesn't change anything for a device that's single-link.
    2. You have stated in your second post, that DVI Single Link is 1280x800, which is completely wrong..
    I said no such thing. That you are interpreting what I wrote in that manner is your problem, not mine.
    I work in Graphics Design & see these monitors all the time
    Seeing and understanding their input specifications and limitations are two different things.

• Level   8

1. You are quoting & arguing, over something, that you specifically stated, that "Most devices with HDMI support, including high end video cards, do not support anything over 1920x1080 (or 1920x1200) over HDMI." & I gave you evididence, that you were wrong..

2. What a load of Bull Dust, IceStorm III..

"As the HP LP3065 has a very simple scaler (it can double the input resolution), the only supported resolution over slngle link DVI (what HDMI will map to on the vast majority of available HDMI ports in service today) is 1280x800."

Once again, you are wrong..

• Level   8

NanoTechSoldier
    1. You are quoting & arguing, over something, that you specifically stated, that "Most devices with HDMI support, including high end video cards, do not support anything over 1920x1080 (or 1920x1200) over HDMI." & I gave you evididence, that you were wrong..

Heh, no. Seems someone doesn't understand what the word "most" means. 4K HDMI over HDMI A ports is a relatively new thing. Most devices don't support it.
    "As the HP LP3065 has a very simple scaler (it can double the input resolution), the only supported resolution over slngle link DVI (what HDMI will map to on the vast majority of available HDMI ports in service today) is 1280x800."
    This is correct. The HP LP3065 only supports 1280x800 over single link DVI. This is a common occurance with 30" 2560x1600 LCDs that lack sophisticated scalers.
    Once again, you are wrong..
    I'm completely correct here. You seem to be having reading comprehension issues.