How do you remove parental controls from an account?

• Level   2

I set up an account for my niece to play games when she's over. The problem is since i put her real b-day (shes 6) it always gives messages that you cant do this, or cant do that because of the usage restrictions on the account. How the heck do I remove these?! Its really annoying because i cant d.load or do anything with her account without getting these messages. 

I will pretty much always be with her when shes using her account so i just want to remove all the restrictions. I see no option to do this though, can someone tell me how to set it up so it has unlimited access and no restrictions?

• Level   2

crud.. i really dont like these new forums. I dont see an edit tag. I just wanted to clarify im not talking about the 'parental control' setting on the system itself. Thats already set to off. Im talking about whatever 'xbox live' control seems to be on by default

• Level   8

Due to the age of her account there will be restrictions on it that you can not control. There is no way around those restrictions. Have you adjusted her profile restrictions? Go to Online Safety under the System Tab and select custom if you can, then adjust what you need to if the system will let you.

Just an FYI, the edit button is the little pencil icon below your post. There is a time limit though.

• Level   2

Hmm well, like i said i went into the profile restrictions and turned all that off. Just to be safe i went into custom and flipped everything through M rated games to ON, then turned the whole restriction thing off.

I still get the message that says something along the lines of 'you can't download this game with this accounts restrictions' or something like that, (I can get the exact message if needed)  when i try to download a Teen or higher rated game or demo. Are you saying that theres absolutely nothing i can do to d.load demos or games that are rated T or above PERIOD? Thats incredibly stupid if thats the case.  I thought these settings were for parents to set what their kids can and cant watch/play. Not of the ESRB and MS to dictate it for them. Theres gotta be a setting im missing somewhere

• Level   4

Just download them using your account . . . if you really want her to be able to play the games she still can.  What is the big deal? Log out, log back in . .

• Level   2

I would create a new account and change the age.  It's pretty ridiculous that even though you allow everything on Xbox, some things get restricted.  My son can't play some EA games online because EA won't allow him because of his age, and he can't use YouTube because he is too young.  So despite having his Xbox set up to where he has no restrictions, Xbox deems they are going to restrict him.  Unfortunately all this came about after he was on it for more than 3 years, and so he doesn't want to lose his gamerscore and start all over.  I would make her a new account and put an older age so that nothing gets restricted.  It's pretty dumb that even a parent or Xbox themselves won't change an age on an account.  My one gripe with Xbox.  Trying to be the parent.  That's my job, they should just provide the tools, not the dictation.

• Level   8

Demos and trailers are considered advertising by the ESRB and are restricted to minor accounts. If it bothers you that much you should take your argument to them. Even the almighty MS must abide by those regulations.

@Afterthoughts-your gripes are with EA and Youtube since their Terms of Use have age restrictions. You do realize that by creating an account to bypass restrictions would be a breach of the Terms of Service that you agreed to, right? That would leave your account subject to enforcement action should they so choose.

Just because you are the minors parent doesn't mean all of your decisions should trump the legal contracts you agree to. Sure some of them are ridiculous but if you didn't like them then you shouldn't have gone forward with the account creation process.

• Level   5

Temhotabot

@Afterthoughts-your gripes are with EA and Youtube since their Terms of Use have age restrictions. You do realize that by creating an account to bypass restrictions would be a breach of the Terms of Service that you agreed to, right? That would leave your account subject to enforcement action should they so choose.

Correct!!!! EA has restrictions of their own for 13 years old or younger. Also creating false information on your account is a breech of the ToU and CoC.

One of my kids was only 5 when I created his account. I have never had an issue with downloading things to his account. Maybe you need to ring up support and see if they can help you figure out a way to do what you are wanting. 

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did -- in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

• Level   2

Really?  Last time I checked anybody could go onto YouTube, not logged in, and watch any video they want.  My kid can jump on his computer and watch a video, but can't on his Xbox.  EA, well there is no way around it.  These are workarounds to help people.  Seriously, is that what you are concerned about?  People are flaming around and glitching games, but let's go after the dad who put down a false age for his daughter and then tried to help other parents out.  That's the way.  You also can't access the Indie game channel.  OMG!!!  This guy is horrible.  Get the pitchforks.  Seriously, you guys need to take a step back and consider what you are doing here.  This in no way breaks a system or causes other people to have less enjoyable experiences.  This forum is to help other parents out.  I have had issues with having my kid underage.  And let's not even start with calling support.  You must not have needed to call them for anything.  1 out of 8 times will you get someone who is knowledgeable and able to help.  You guys should seriously consider picking up a law book and reading it and not just spout out what Microsoft trains you to say.  Let me give you this as an example, if you go to a parking garage and pay to park there, and your car gets broken into, and they have a sign that says "not responsible for theft or damage", they are ABSOLUTELY responsible for damage and theft.  That's what you pay for.  Just because something is written down and said, doesn't make it absolute fact or enforceable.  The fact that I pay for Xbox LIVE and my son can't access everything he is promised with having all restrictions lifted because I have nothing set restricted ABSOLUTELY guarantees me that I have the right to a full refund and compensation.  Do I feel like going through the long court battle just to prove MS is wrong in this?  No.  So I change her age to be an adult and move on.  When people ask that are having the same problem I did, I help them out.  I'm not having them mod their console, or do anything that would deter anyone from having an unenjoyable experience on Xbox.  I am helping out another parent who has a similar problem to the situation I have experienced.  Question everything.

• Level   S

Hey there Thought! I understand you have some issues with the current state of online safety, specifically as they pertain to under-aged accounts. Basically as the Terms state that you must be over 18 to create an account for yourself, or have a parent create an account for you if you are not. If you are under 18, then the parent assumes all responsibility for that child account, including all content seen or purchased.

That said, the promotion of falsifying information when creating an account, for any goal, is not allowed on the Forums, as it can lead to users violating the first point mentioned above. We ask that you simply respect that as far as these Forums are concerned. If you have any further questions, please feel free to PM me directly (envelope icon below my post) and I'll be happy to answer them as best I can. Thank you for your understanding!

• Level   8

Aftrthought051

Just because something is written down and said, doesn't make it absolute fact or enforceable.  

You should read the following since you already agreed to it:

1. What the Contract Covers.

This is a contract between you and the Microsoft company listed in Section 19 ("Microsoft," "we," "us," or "our") for use of the Service. Sections 1-5 and 8-20 apply across the Service. Sections 6 and 7 only apply if the Service involves payments to or from Microsoft. Sections 21-23 only apply if you use the Services identified in those Sections. Some of these Services may not be fully available in your country or region or on your device.

By creating an account or otherwise accepting this contract, you represent that you are at least 18 years old or have reached the age of "majority" where you live. Your parent or legal guardian must set up an account on your behalf and accept this contract if you are under 18 or have not reached the age of "majority". You can use your Windows Live ID to register for the Service. A Windows Live ID will be automatically created for you if you do not have one. However, an automatically created Windows Live ID will only function with the Service. If you wish to use it for other Microsoft services, you must also agree to the applicable terms of use or terms of service for a general-purpose Windows Live ID.

If you allow or enable a minor to use your Service account or an associated account, then:

• You represent that you are the parent or legal guardian of such minor;
    • You acknowledge that some features of the Service, and some content available through the Service, may contain or expose users to material that is unsuitable for minors. You agree to supervise usage by minors whom you permit or enable to use the Service. The Service is not intended for use by children under 13 without adult supervision;
    • You acknowledge that we offer "Parental Controls" to help you restrict purchases and limit access to material that may be unsuitable for minors. For example, we offer "Family Settings" on the Xbox 360 console and on the Service. You may view or revise your Parental Controls by logging into your account on http://www.xbox.com. Additional information about Parental Controls is available at http://www.xbox.com/support; and
    • You are responsible for any material that a user of your Service account accesses or is denied access to (including as a result of your use or non-use of Parental Controls). You acknowledge that use of Parental Controls is not a substitute for your personal supervision of minors that use your Service account.

As I stated earlier there is some content, such as demos, trailers and certain online multiplayer content that is age restricted and no matter what settings you have adjusted via Parental/Family Settings will have no effect on being able to access that content until the account reaches the appropriate age, regardless of what you as the minors parent may or may not think. You agreed to it.

• Level   1

I can't get anything because of these age restrictions and I'm eighteen, I was able to do whatever until today in which its back up, why is that so?

• Level   1

Everyone that says, Just sign in and out of this account then back into yours if you want to download something.

Get off the support page, you're no help at all.

• Level   1

my advice, call microsoft or something, and complain, so they remove it for everyone.

Im 19 and its still on my account.

• Level   1

Hello I'm 17 and all I want to play Bf4 beta but it won't let because "this account is not permitted to download content with this rating." I went to my account  and put in an older age to see if that would do it but it didn't. Please I would really  love some help or  advice. I'm tired of listening to my friends talking how amazing it is. Thank you