gamertags should be free

• Level   1

People keep talking about how Microsoft are doing everything they can, but the bottom line is that Microsoft LOVE money. I have had my gamertag for 3 years and I want to change it but I have no way of adding points to my account even though I can afford it. Yes, Microsoft do a lot for Xbox Live but the truth is making gamertags free one a year or everytime you renew your subsription is easy for them.

• Level   5

SonicAssassin22

1 what if i make a mistake well sorry not my fault

2 what if you had a new nickname sorry pay 800 microsoft points to change your name

3 what if you hate it and you want to change it

so there are my reasons

come on micosoft make em free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um, actually it is your fault. Try using that excuse at work, school, etc. and see where that gets you. It is your duty to check if there is any mistakes. So it is 100% your fault if you make a mistake.

• Level   5

1. Be diligent & not rush everything & you will not make a mistake..

2. A "Nickname" is supposed to stick & not be changed on a whim..

3. You liked it, before you hated it & it will cost you 800 MS Points for your sudden dislike of the Name you chose or rushed in the first place...

4. Deal with It.. If "one-off" GamerTags were for free & you could just change your mind, your Xbox LIVE account & DLC will go haywire + I could just grab 100+ GamerTags, so no-one could have them etc..

• Level   5

Spaceman Creg

I don't agree very much.

Did you know it takes a lot to change your gamertag?

The system has to find everything you've posted and change it all.

This also happens with your gamer picture!

That's not how it works. The system gives you a unique numerical ID as well, and that's what is stored with posts and everything else. Your gamertag is not repeated within their databases, just that numerical ID. Changing your gamertag should only be a matter of updating a single field in their database, and the same goes for gamer pictures. The system does not have to go back and update everything after a change.

*** I see stars! ***

• Level   5

Ssgt BIW

I have had my gamertag for 3 years and I want to change it but I have no way of adding points to my account even though I can afford it.

Boom.  Helping people is super awesome.