Cleaning my 360 slim

• Level   1

Hi i have a 360 slim and i always have it laying flat. Ive noticed the vent thats over the fan is getting a bit dusty and clogged. How can i clean this vent without taking my xbox apart ? Is it wise to use a hoover to suck up the dust etc ? Will this cause static ? Also can i use a 4gb memory stick to back up my profile and save files? Many thanks for replys will check back laters.

• Level   4

I would go with a bigger flash drive depending on how many game saves you have.  They have small mini vacs for electronics that I keep thinking I will pick up, but I usually just use a microfiber dust cloth . . .

• Level   7

That is the one thing I hate about the new S unit. The big vents on top. It is almost impossible to keep dust out of it. I have a really clean house and when I done, I cover it when it cools, but I can still see dust in there.

I wouldn't vacuum it though. I use those wipes that are good for cleaning LCD screens and I carefully wipe around the vent. I wrap it around a toothpick to get in a little deeper, but still make sure I don't touch anything, but dust.

Ahhh, the sweet smell of pigskin is in the air. E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles!!!   5-1 after destroying the Giants in every way possible.

@1brandiesel

• Level   4

Really can't clean it properly without taking it apart which would void the warranty. Dust on the internal heatsink and mainboard is what you want to get rid of. Can of compressed air to dislodge the dust on the heatsink and then maybe vacuum it out. Just have to be careful about not spinning up the heatsink fan. Possible to damage something doing this though since you can't see what your doing.

-

I wouldn't recommend doing this while you are still under warranty.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

• Level   V

Do not use compressed air to clean out the console.  That has the potential to ruin the console as all it does is spray the dust around the inside.  Try using a vacuum to suction out the dust but that's the limit of what can be done about it.

Join our Destiny clan

Xbox One Unboxing with a special surprise at the end

My Blog

Was my post helpful?  Then please click Like below it.

• Level   5

what about reverse the vacuum cleaner? I have an old electrolux kicking around still even though Im 90% wood floor an10% tile, my old vacuum cleaner has a hole on top where it pushes out warm air, its not nearly as powerful as compressed air..

"Jokers so Tuff, he eat the boggers out of a dead man's nose than ask for seconds"

• Level   2

I use a vacuum on the top and right side vents have been for a while now with no problems, but be sure its a house vac and not a over powered shop vac.

• Level   5

I wouldnt use the intake of the vacum thats just crazy!  maybe the out-take still kinda risky..

"Jokers so Tuff, he eat the boggers out of a dead man's nose than ask for seconds"

• Level   5

I would never use any vacuum on my electronics.  Doing so builds up static charges, and its the reason why canned air is prefered.  Also for cleaning up dust, I use the swifer duster sheets.  They are good for picking up dust and for the most part dust gets trapped inside them so you aren't just pushing the dust around or worrying about getting liquid spilled in the console.  If you are going to use anything with liquid, I would recommend a damp cloth, preferably a micro fiber cloth since it can hold on to the dust particles.

-

Good luck with your cleaning! :)

Those who think they are smart are very annoying to those who actually are.

• Level   3

wipe off exterior dust. If your warranty is voided just open it up and clean it manually. Duster in a can is crap. Don't use it. Just forces dust into parts.

When I go negative In a COD match I throw my cat at the wall, If he's not in the room I go find him.

• Level   4

compressed air is only ideal if your cleaning circuit boards without the casing on, just a general dust over once or twice a day is enough.

• Level   5

Another thing people don't realise is that dust and smoke don't mix well.  If you really must smoke, don't do so around your console or in the same room.  Smoke from Cigarettes turns into a liquid, when this liquid mixes with dust, it turns sticky, not good for any electronic equipment, very bad for consoles and PC's with intake fans.  They're bad for your health too.

Using a can of compressed air is, in the end, pretty pointless.  Sure it will probably blow the dust off the fans and the heatsinks, but there is no where for the dust to go.  As soon as the console is turned back on, the fans will suck the dust back to them again.  Using a low powered vacuum for electrical equipment isn't a bad idea though.  Also general dusting around your equipment can help. 

Got a question? Just ask. 
    • Level   3

Wow never thought about that, I don't smoke in doors anyway. It's interesting it does the same to your lungs as it does to electronics,

When I go negative In a COD match I throw my cat at the wall, If he's not in the room I go find him.

• Level   5

Dust Is Inevitable & An OCD Won't Help.. Believe Me.. o.O LOL..

Compressed Air In A Can, Will Cost Around $10-15 A Can..

I Would Recommend, A Little USB Keyboard Vacuum For Cleaning The 360 Dust & It Comes With Lil' Brushes etc ..

www.google.com.au

• Level   3

yeah lets just force dust into the 360.....