DLC on multiple accounts

• Level   5

Wondering if anyone can help me with this

My wife recently got a gold account for herself, because she enjoys playing L4D

On my account I have all the DLC, but she cannot access it on her account.

She was talking about getting MSP to get the DLC, but I don't see why she should. Seeing as how I aleady paid for it, and it is on the same xbox as her account. She is able to play the DLC so long as she is playing co op with me, but by herself she cannot access it with her own account

I figured there must be a way that she should be able to use it. I really don't see the need to have to purchase it again

Boba Fett, where!?
    • Level   5

Typically DLC can be used by any account using the console the purchases were made with if connected to XBL.

Did you buy a new console recently? A license transfer may be in order.

Gamer > Fanboy

Want to hear a joke? Official Xbox forums.
    • Level   4

Ok, I thought you were right Zombie, so I tested it with my other gold account. I CANNOT play any DLC games with my other gold account. My licensing is current. I thought my son used to play my games on my old Xbox fine, but maybe it changed or I am thinking wrong. I even have the Family Gold... still get a big sign that says "Can't Play Game". This is a big disappointment. I doubt I'll buy anymore full games on DLC, knowing only I can play them. It's not even like I can take my game disc over to a friends house and play. Seems if anyone is at my console, they should be able to play, even if a friend brought his GT over on a thumb drive. They can play any game I have on disc.

1st PC - 80/88-DOS 4.0
    Becoming more machine.

• Level   8

DLC is licensed to two things. The account used to buy it and the console it was first download on. Typically DLC can be shared between accounts but there are of course a few exceptions, most notably Avatar items.

The console license lets any account on the console use the DLC, online or offline.

With the account license that lets you use the DLC on any console as long as you are connected to Live. This can also be used to temporarily allow others to access the DLC but as noted above, the purchasing account must also be signed into Live.

The license transfer can now be done solely on the console. Sign in with the purchasing account, press the guide button on your controller and press right until you reach the Settings Blade. Here pick the Account Management option.

You'll be taken to a new screen and on the first panel here the last option will be License Transfer, so pick that. Now in a couple of button presses the console license will be transferred to the new console, however this is not the end of the process.

The license must be refreshed and that means setting the content to be downloaded again. If the DLC is already on your hard drive then all that ill be grabbed from Live is the new license file, so it will be an incredibly quick process.

Now simply repeat the above for any other accounts that have DLC you want to belong to the new console. Remember though that the license transfer can only be done once every four months. 

Mass Effect 3 - MEHEM and Extended Anderson Conversation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmofIH7rN9U.

• Level   5

Is the gamertag that bought the DLC signed in when you try playing with the other gamertag?

It might work if both gamertags are signed in.

I'm a BurnoutAholic and proud of it!

• Level   5

ZombieTron

Is the gamertag that bought the DLC signed in when you try playing with the other gamertag?

It might work if both gamertags are signed in.

What he said.

To add on, as long as the owner gamertag signed in, all gamertags on the same console can shared purchased content (Eg XBLA and DLCs).

それは時代の最高だったが、それは時代の最悪だった

• Level   5

When you buy stuff, anyone can use it on the exact console it was purchased on.  If you change consoles, you need to license transfer.  If you want to play it on another console, the GT that purchased the content must be signed in on that console (can be as controller 2 even) for it to work.

I have 2 consoles and 4 gold accounts for my family.  So my wife's xbox I make sure if she wants to buy DLC she buys it on the main XBOX.  That way she'll be able to play on both, and I do the same for my stuff.  The trick comes when we both want the same thing which is rare lol

good luck

• Level   4

Glad to hear I can use my other family golds, as long as I'm logged in. When I tested it, I just logged in with another gold, not my main too. Thanks unseth.

1st PC - 80/88-DOS 4.0
    Becoming more machine.

• Level   5

I believe your right about the transfer thing. Thank you. Thanks Vote as well for pointing out it can be done on the console. That is handy.

Just wanted to add, to a couple of comments. No, my profile is not signed it, and unless it is the game only, it doesn't need to be. My wife is able to access other DLC on the console without my account being signed in, I believe it is just as others suggested and that is a license transfer.

Thank you for your time

Boba Fett, where!?
    • Level   1

So what if my brother purchased some dlc and downloaded it on one console, but I want to play it on the my console in my bedroom? If I've got his profile signed in as player 2 when I start up the game, can I load up my save file with the dlc and then log out of his account and continue playing on the file?

• Level   4

tducote
    So what if my brother purchased some dlc and downloaded it on one console, but I want to play it on the my console in my bedroom? If I've got his profile signed in as player 2 when I start up the game, can I load up my save file with the dlc and then log out of his account and continue playing on the file?

(Usually it's discouraged to bring back year-old threads, but it's a directly relevant question and it's not like we need another DLC DRM thread around.)

Your brother buys DLC with his account on his console. To use that DLC on your console via his license, his account must be signed in to Xbox Live the entire time. Sign him out (or lose the network/Xbox Live), and you lose access to the content.

On his console, you can use the DLC without him even being signed in, because the first console the content is downloaded on gets the console license, which can be used offline.

• Level   1

can i ask too? i have a very similar situation. and i am confused on how the download content license work

_

I have my 360 with only my gamertag on it. i have A LOT of microsoft points (from Microsoft store promotions). i have downloaded dance central 3 with extra songs, but never play it, along with Call of duty map packs, arcade games and other goodies.

_

My girlfriend wants a 360 just for dance central 3. but i cannot transfer points to her. whats the best way for her to be able to share/use all my download content with her own account on her own xbox.

_

my best guess: give her my xbox with my account (and i think the console licence for all the content i have downloaded so far) she should be able to create her own profile/account/gamertag, and use all my content.,as long as my account stays on that system.

_

i keep the new xbox, and add my account to it. my account will be able to use all my content/points/etc. though on the new xbox, no other user/profile/account will be able to use my content, since the 2nd xbox will just have the user license, NOT the console license. which is ok since i am the only one who uses it.

_

then any downloads from then on would follow with the same settings? if i then download a new map pack on the new xbox, would this xbox use the Console or user licence? for instance i usually use xboxlive.com to make my purchases. so does my original xbox ALWAYS stay as the console license, or is the "console license" whatever xbox you download it on first? would i need her to download everything i want first (onto the original xbox with my account), then download it on my xbox (that i later added my account to)?

_

if she is playing dance central 3, dancing to a downloaded ad on song, on her on profile, will i be able to sign on from my house on the new xbox with my gamertag and a call of duty map pack i downloaded a while ago on the xbox i gave her?

_

i guess this is a two part. is that the best way to share content and how does the license work once i sign it onto 2 xbox's?

_

i just want her to be able to use the content without having to have my account signed in(using her own profile), while being able to use my account at my house without ever worrying about her being logged into it.

_

thank you for your help, and for reading the word "content" a thousand times.

content!

• Level   6

Console licenses do not require the purchasing gamertag profile to be on the console.

Perform a License Transfer using your profile while on her XBOX and re-download all of your content to her console. The License Transfer unbinds the DLC license. The act of re-downloading will re-bind the license to the new console. After that, she can use it without your profile being on the console.

After doing this, for you to make use of your DLC will require you log into Live on your console.

• Level   1

thank you. so once i perform a "Lisense transfer" onto her new xbox, any content i ever buy will work on that xbox, with her own gamertag. and any future content will ALWAYS be marked with her xbox having the console license, even if i download it on my xbox first (which will be using the user license)?

_

your saying i can then even remove my profile all together from her xbox after all the content downloads and she can still use all the extras with her profile? i would only have to re-add my profile it if i want to download new content onto her machine from my account? or will it auto download to her xbox even with my account removed? i really dont mind if my account stays on her machine, i just dont want her to use it, so i can play live whenever. plus i can let her know to use my account whenever she wants to download new songs since i have the points on my account.

_

i then can keep my physical xbox, and have my gamertag signed on, and use any downloaded content on it. though no other accounts on my physical xbox will be able to use the content because i moved the console license to her xbox. correct? that works for me, just want to make sure of the details.

_

thank you for the ridiculously fast response.

• Level   6

CMoney408
    thank you. so once i perform a "Lisense transfer" onto her new xbox, any content i ever buy will work on that xbox,

No, the regular rules apply. The first console you download to will be the first that gets the license. Any future content you buy you'd have to log into her console with your ID and download the DLC to it first.

I believe once you do the license transfer, that console will become the "default" console when buying content from the Marketplace on the website. While it won't auto-download to her console, it will go into a download queue on the console that will activate when your account logs into her console. On your console, you'll see it as pending download to another console. You can override that, but it will result in binding the content to your console, not hers.

your saying i can then even remove my profile all together from her xbox after all the content downloads and she can still use all the extras with her profile

Far as I'm aware, yes, though you can also just leave it on her console. Profiles are no longer limited to one valid local copy. Haven't been for a while.

plus i can let her know to use my account whenever she wants to download new songs since i have the points on my account.

Let's not go there. It's prohibited as per the Terms of Use. Accounts are not to be used by anyone but the account owner.