Xbox Live service discontinued for Xbox 360 by 2016?

• Level   5

Microsoft has just released a stack of official info about the next gen console just today. They've beaten Sony with Xbox One able to handle 4k resolution, and exclusives. But Xbox One has DDR3 8GB RAM where as PS4 has GDDR5 8GB RAM. Since Xbox One will have no support for Xbox 360 games and maybe even Arcade Games, and since Xbox 360 has sooo many popular multiplayer games like Minecraft, Halo, Black Ops 2, and others, I think Microsoft while trying to keep us happy, should keep running the Xbox Live service for the Xbox 360 for years to come.

It would be sad for this to go. Xbox Live service for the 1st Xbox console is discontinued. Windows Vista mainstream support is discontinued, Mainstream support for Windows 7 will likely end 2015. I've been doing some research of Xbox One, PS4, and this on wikipedia. smiles :)

• Level   1

Xbox 360 services should end once this Xbox One is fully implemented by next year or so but no longer than two years at which time the 360 will be discontinued altogether.

• Level   6

ProudNutria92
    Xbox 360 services should end once this Xbox One is fully implemented by next year or so but no longer than two years

And your reasoning for this is what?
    at which time the 360 will be discontinued altogether.
    The 360 hardware is printing money at this point. There is no reason to believe it won't stay available through 2015. There is no reason to believe the Service won't stay available well past that.

• Level   5

The 360 could be around for years yet.

tech.uk.msn.com/.../xbox-360-not-dead-yet

• Level   2

I think 360 will be around for a least 6 more years , to many of us will just not have the internet services needed for these new consoles to function properly , being able to pass games around in your home will be a budget problem, they need to a least make it like PSN where multi- consoles in home can share all games and dlc. Also kinect stuff doesnt really work in economy size homes and apartments.

• Level   V

Your title is a tad misleading. Xbox 360 is making them money so I'd see no reason to discontinue it. Taking a page out of Sony's book with the PS2 history would dictate there's still a lot of money to be made.

:D Post 'as is' and confers no rights

about.me/scratch

• Level   5

ZWR63

I think 360 will be around for a least 6 more years , to many of us will just not have the internet services needed for these new consoles to function properly , being able to pass games around in your home will be a budget problem, they need to a least make it like PSN where multi- consoles in home can share all games and dlc. Also kinect stuff doesnt really work in economy size homes and apartments.

The new Xbox doesn't have a higher internet speed requirement. Where you get this garbage from (I have an idea but I'm not saying) is beyond me.

• Level   6

Old Xbox could lose online as there was minimum DLC most of which was also available offline other about 5 bits of Fable content .

Xbox 360 has so much online including arcade games, taking Live down means people can't recover those and as such Microsoft is taking games from people (Insert "You don't own the game but the license to play it, argument" ) but Eu courts are fighting this and no-one will be throw a huge fit if they give a decent amount of time say 10 years but even then its say 50% of a generation of games lost after that time so people won't be happy with it, just not unhappy enough to be up in arms at it anymore.

• Level   2

Xbl for 360 will remain as long as there are a ton of people using the 360 to access live. Seeing as backwards compatibility isn't offered my 360 will go to my bedroom the day i decide to upgrade and finish all the games in my backlog.

• Level   2

mhmm, tell that to original xbox owners.

• Level   5

Jisatsu Kiddo

mhmm, tell that to original xbox owners.

Yeah the original xbox was discontinued almost as soon as the 360 came out. But they did keep Live going for a few years.

The original xbox wasn't profitable though. It only had a few games that had DLC. There were no downloadable games or anything.

The 360 is profitable and makes a lot of money off DLC and game downloads so I doubt that will be discontinued straight away. They will probably keep it going for as long as it's profitable. Besides people without an internet connection wont be able to get xbox one so will probably keep buying games for the 360.

• Level   5

Malacath

Yeah the original xbox was discontinued almost as soon as the 360 came out. But they did keep Live going for a few years.

The original Xbox was supported for a year and half after the 360 launch. The live service ended like 3 years after that. And though the Xbox console itself never turned a profit, Xbox Live made the project a huge profit. That is why they lost considerable amount of money on the consoles, because Live balanced all that out.

Live is a whole lot more profitable now, but the original Xbox live was very profitable at the time, for the service that you got.

• Level   1

I think if MS really thought bout this they would allow Xbox 360 to connect to the XB1 via the HDMI in for those people not interested in TV features. By doing this there could be some cross compatibility for those games still attached to the system.. why didn't MS think of that? It's like a kick in the teeth having bought so many arcade games and not knowing the future of X360.

• Level   6

cloudskipa
    I think if MS really thought bout this they would allow Xbox 360 to connect to the XB1 via the HDMI in for those people not interested in TV features.

I don't believe there will be anything stopping you from doing that.
    By doing this there could be some cross compatibility for those games still attached to the system.
    No, the 360 would just be a video source for the Xbox One. There'd be no other communication between the two consoles.
    It's like a kick in the teeth having bought so many arcade games and not knowing the future of X360.
    You know the future. 25 million more 360 consoles are to be sold. That's around 5 more years on the market, at a minimum.

• Level   2

Xbox 360 released in 2005 and Original Xbox live support ended on April 15, 2010.. 5 year later.  I'm not sure if they will extend the same gratitude for Xbox 360.

your perspective is your own reality