What the picture perfect next gen console would be

• Level   2

Okay, so as we all know, console gaming is not going to be anywhere near PC gaming anytime soon. But it's getting pretty powerful. I've heard things like 16 core processors and dual gpus for 720 and stuff which would be awesome but it has to support a couple things if it wants to really make a statement.

1. Dual screening. You have been able to do this on pc for a while now. If you could do it on a console, or even incorporate a way to do 2 local players with seperate screens that would be awesome!

2. Consistency. This was a HUGE problem with the 360. The constant red rings, the e74 everything.

3. Better kinect integration. I'm sick and tired of all kinect being for voice in most major games. Like Mass Effect and Skyrim. I would love to play skyrim and swing a sword through the kinect. But I can't :(

4. Cheaper. Not completely free, the reasoning behind paying for the Xbox Live Gold subscription is so that it can indepedantly fund itself, but I don't think it has to be this expensive. Maybe even every now and then a free 400 microsoft points for staying with Xbox. 

• Level   8

100% focus on Games.  That would be perfect for me and none of this gimmick rubbish.

• Level   8

GERMIN4T0R
    100% focus on Games

this exactly,

what is going to ruin the next gen is the 99% focus on apps and extras,its going that way already.

• Level   8

One with a Holographic Gaming Interface... The 3D HUD Is Holographic & shows it above console etc...  Similar, to what they use for area mapping, in that Avatar movie..

• Level   8

Just focus on games. Maybe use a holo-disc. Lower the price of LIVE. 60 dollars is a lot. Exclusives. Let us use our own hdd. You can get a 1tb hdd cheaper than a 320 gb MS hdd.

• Level   8

Why would you need up to 1024GB of HDD space, for an XBOX console...??

• Level   8

^^If DD becomes more wide-spread next gen, then we will need it. My 250 gig is full. Everytime I want to install a game I have to delete things. The Witcher 2 took up 18 or 19 gigs. It's annoying sometimes.

• Level   4

I would really like to see the removal of pointless software limitations like being disallowed from reading/writing directly from NTFS USB volumes without the FATX layer (as an example, for backing up your savegames legitimately to your PC without having to use Modio). Being able to use your own hard drives, or at the very least, the removal of that stupid 16GB software limit on USB devices. I don't really care about the price of Xbox Live, but it would be really great if they could move away from the increasingly prohibitive DRM schemes for the games and from dumb gimmicks like Kinect et al and just focus on making some really badass games.

I am also praying that the rumors about the Xbox Next refusing to read used discs is bogus.
    • Level   5

Xbox DURAGNO. - Google that. I say no more...

• Level   9

GERMIN4T0R

100% focus on Games.  That would be perfect for me and none of this gimmick rubbish.

^ THIS EXACTLY ^

A complete focus on games (and not only Kinect titles). In fact, if Kinect is the standard controller, they might as well scrap the whole thing IMHO.

No apps that have noting to do with games... Strike that, no apps at all. We need a game console, not a low end PC/smart phone/cable box/music server/social networking/popcorn popping crappbox.

My Top-10 Games: Kights of the Old Republic  Final Fantasy VII  Resident Evil DC  Dragon Age Origins  Gran Turismo 4  Skies of Arcadia  Shenmue  Test Drive Unlimited  SNATCHER  Heavy Rain

• Level   9

OG Pooh
    A complete focus on games

That won't happen with MS or Sony. Both have a vested interest in media functionality on console. Only Nintendo has no real stake in the media market. We can see where that's gotten them so far...
    We need a game console,
    And you don't have one now?

Adding functionality to a console does not mean core functionality is lost.

• Level   9
    GERMIN4T0R

Agreed, and to add to that, reliability...

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king!

• Level   9

IceStorm III

OG Pooh
    A complete focus on games

That won't happen with MS or Sony. Both have a vested interest in media functionality on console. Only Nintendo has no real stake in the media market. We can see where that's gotten them so far...
    We need a game console,
    And you don't have one now?

Adding functionality to a console does not mean core functionality is lost.

Well, considering Nintendo has sold almost as many Wiis as the 360 & PS3 combined, your point has almost zero validity. That said, any shortcomings of the Wii are due to it's lack of power and overabundance of family & child oriented titles, rather than it failing to become the low end PC that the 360 is trying so hard to be.

Core functionality may not be lost, but the purpose of the machine & the focus of it's manufacturer on it is. Maybe (just maybe) if Microsoft weren't spending all their time, effort & money on a bunch of unnecassary apps that everybody already has access to, the 360 would have some decent games that we couldn't get on other machines. I guess Microsoft is content having the 360 be every other machine's dumber, red-headed step-brother.

My Top-10 Games: Kights of the Old Republic  Final Fantasy VII  Resident Evil DC  Dragon Age Origins  Gran Turismo 4  Skies of Arcadia  Shenmue  Test Drive Unlimited  SNATCHER  Heavy Rain

• Level   9

OG Pooh
    Well, considering Nintendo has sold almost as many Wiis as the 360 & PS3 combined, your point has almost zero validity.

If consoles existed in a vacuum, you may have a point. As consoles are hardware clients used to run games, you don't.

Wii doesn't sell games outside first-party offerings. There's plenty of sholveware on the Wii, but it doesn't sell.

Core functionality may not be lost, but the purpose of the machine & the focus of it's manufacturer on it is.
    I use my 360s almost exclusively for games. I see no dearth of titles, I've seen ever increasing hardware reliability and power reduction, and it still has the best controller of the three offerings. Where's this "lack of focus" you speak of?
    Maybe (just maybe) if Microsoft weren't spending all their time, effort & money
    By whose estimation is MS not spending money on the core gaming focus? A steady stream of timed exclusives seems to be telling you they aren't ignoring the gaming market.
    on a bunch of unnecassary apps that everybody already has access to,
    Except they don't in a set-top box, hence the 360's growing popularity with Gold customers as an entertainment hub.
    the 360 would have some decent games that we couldn't get on other machines.
    No, not at this point in console life cycle. There is zero incentive from publishers to single-platform titles. Middleware is mature. Not providing a PS3 and PC version of 360 games is a bad development move at this time.
    I guess Microsoft is content having the 360 be every other machine's dumber, red-headed step-brother.
    As an owner of an up to date gaming PC and several PS3s, I can safely say that if I want to game, the 360 is the fastest route to accomplishing that goal. No convoluted driver updates, no regular OS updates, no large system updates, no paying to keep my console updated in the background.

As long as the next generation of MS console has the same ease of use and mandated patch/firmware size restrictions, I'm good.

• Level   9

No offense, but your responses would be much easier to dissect if you posted the entire quote, then responded in whole. I'll be brief & to the point...

You're correct, consoles do not exist in a vacuum. That's why they don't need all the apps that Microsoft (and Sony to less of an extent) are throwing on them & at us. Maybe they don't exist all in one set-top box. If a jack-of-all trades, master of none idiot box is what you want, you've got one with the 360. Enjoy it.

I thought I made it pretty clear that the lack of focus I'm talking about is on games... Specifically, exclusive games. Actually, it would seem I'm not the only one who shares this observation. I'd like to know where all these great exclusives you speak of, are. Maybe you're talking about what's coming out for Kinect. If that's where you're going, you can't exactly speak ill of the Wii, can you?

What does it matter what point in the 360's lifecycle it's at? The PS3  (obviously) has all the multiplatform games that the 360 has, and a very good amount of AAA exclusives, including many still to come. Sure, Sony has apps (that you don't have to have a paid membership to access), but they also continue to focus on creating first party exclusives. First you say there is an abundance of timed 360 exclusives, then you go on to try and excuse & defend why there are none. Which is it?