modded and rapid fire controllers

• Level   2

Ok I have heard alot of different things about these controllers. I want to know if you will get banned for having one. I just bought a turbo fire 2 controller from GAMESTOP. In the package it doesn't say any thing about it being legal or illegal to use on live. If it is I have no problem not useing it. Now I saw a bunch on ebay and craigslist that say they do alot more that just rapid fire. So I am pretty sure you get suspend for those, but if this controller is not one somebody opened and made into something else. Is it still illegal to use. Thank for all responces. Please no fighting about it though. I just want to know, either way if it is a problem I'll just return it. (haven't opened yet) 

• Level   1

As long as it's a liscensed product that features the Xbox liscensed product logo you should be ok.  If it isn't a supported 3rd party controller, dont be suprised if future system updates kill your controller support.  

• Level   1

I order to avoid any future problems or questions that may arise, always use official Microsoft Accessories to avoid voiding your warranty or damaging your console.  

• Level   5

I wouldn't even bother, with a modded or "Rapid Fire" Controller, as you will just waste your money when Xbox Live blocks it in future updates...

• Level   1

lmao i love reporting idiots with rapid fire controllers. Idiots with rapis fire controllers spoil the game for everyone else

Infact i play some games just to route them out so i can report them

Dont Try Do

• Level   1

So just to clarify you ARE NOT at all allowed to use rapid fire controllers

(I don"t own one I don't think its fair)  

• Level   6

No, that is not true. Licensed turbo controllers are permitted on the service.

• Level   1

Ok I understand now thanks

• Level   1

What company controller brands would be considered licensed if you know?

• Level   4

Don`t know off hand, but anything that states "officially licensed product" on the box.

If it moves, shoot it. If it still moves, shoot it again.

If it still moves, use a bigger gun :)

• Level   5

bahahaha need a turbo to be good heh?? I wish this was not an available device on xbox. now a scuff controller that is what I want to get. ,more freedom and placement of buttons and button mapping to your controllers, that is the future!!!

• Level   6

You can buy controllers that support mapping buttons to extra buttons on the controller. Both the Razer Onza and the Razer Sabertooth support that feature.

• Level   4

Third party controllers that are not licensed are pretty much a grey area in regards to if you use them or not. From what I understand Datel manufactured controllers are not officially licensed but they're allowed to be used due to an incident of Datel based controllers being blocked after a major system update several years ago. . It was soon rectified when Microsoft fixed the problem. Other third party controllers I am not certain of but they are also probably allowed to be used.

Third party controllers that have turbo fire/rapid fire features seem to be safe as Madcatz has/had a turbo fire controller that was an official licensed product. Datel turbo fire controllers even though not officially licensed are also seem to be safe.

The third party controllers I know that are officially licensed are the Razer Range of controllers, Afterglow controllers and the Mat Catz range of controllers.

One thing I don't know about is use of Official Xbox 360 controllers that are modified with turbo fire and rapid fire features? The only thing for certain is if you open it up it voids its 90 day warranty.

• Level   6

Lycanine
    From what I understand Datel manufactured controllers are not officially licensed but they're allowed to be used due to an incident of Datel based controllers being blocked after a major system update several years ago.

No. Datel controllers are allowed to be used due to a settlement reached between Datel and MS. MS sued Datel, Datel countersued. Settlement left Datel controllers being allowed on the Service, however far as I can tell Datel stopped production as well.

The "several years ago" incident was when Datel released an original MU adapter that allowed microSD cards larger than 512MB to be used via the original MU ports. MS added a capacity check and disabled any original MU found to be over 512MB, thus rendering Datel's greater-than-512MB MUs nonfunctional. USB flash drive support arrived shortly thereafter.

It was soon rectified when Microsoft fixed the problem.
    Microsoft didn't fix anything. The issue you are referring to was when a system update broke Datel's reverse-engineering of the wireless protocol that MS uses. Datel issued a firmware update for the controllers.
    Other third party controllers I am not certain of but they are also probably allowed to be used.
    Unlicensed accessories are prohibited on the Service. The only reason Datel is permitted is due to the settlement agreement. That settlement agreement is not an open door for all unlicensed third party accessories.
    One thing I don't know about is use of Official Xbox 360 controllers that are modified with turbo fire and rapid fire features?
    Modification of a controller is considered System Tampering. System Tampering is prohibited as per the Terms of Use.

• Level   1

as of what i have heard, you could get banned for modding in a public match while using one, the only reason why xbox has endorsed in these controllers is for private matches, but people have overused this power and brought it into public matches of call of duty mostly, i have a modded controller and only used it once in a public match and everything went just fine but they are only meant to be used in a public match