Do USB 3.0 Flash drives work with 360?

• Level   1

I wanted to get a couple but I know that they don't work with PS3. In a review of the stick I wanted to get a user wrote that he couldn't stream movies or music off his 3.0 flash drive through the 360 but he didn't specify if he tried to flash it through the dashboard. I know 3.0 is supposed to be backward compatible but I would like to be sure before I plunk down $60.

• Level   8

It should do but it will only run at USB 2.0 speeds. So if this is primarily going to be used with the 360 then going for a USB 2.0 stick would be cheaper.

-

To play movies and music off a USB stick on the 360 it must be formatted as FAT32 or HFS+

Mass Effect 3 - MEHEM and Extended Anderson Conversation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmofIH7rN9U.

• Level   1

They're pretty cheap. The 16 gb patriots that I want to get are about $20 but I want to get two or three of them. That's about the same price as usb 2 stick except maybe they'll be future proof.

• Level   5

Yes, I have a USB 3.0 Patriot Memory Supersonic 32GB flashdrive that I bought a few months ago. On USB 3.0 it runs 100MB/s read, 70MB/s write. On USB 2.0 it runs max 2.0 speeds. I've used it on my Xbox and it works perfectly and passes all the 360's required tests.

Xbox 360 Pro | Xenon | Manufactured: 3 July 2006
    Sennheiser PC 350 Headset | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Astro Mixamp
    ASUS VS238H 23" 1920x1080 LED Monitor

• Level   1

Which format did you use? Fat32 or NTFS?

What is the max file size an Xbox360 can read?

• Level   1

I didn't have to format the ones I got. The 360 did it itself and they worked. I think the file limit on the 360 is 16 gb but all sticks I've used had 2gb less usable space so if you use a 16 gb stick it will be 14, I'm guessing if you use 32 gb stick it should be 16.

• Level   1

So glad to see this, as i ordered a usb 3.0 without even thinking whether it would run or not, i just assumed, i heard that they can intefere with wifi? It says that on wikipedia.. :S

• Level   4

BJ @ I think the max size Xbox's able to read is 32GB external storage, last I read somewhere.

• Level   2

The Xbox storage limit for externals... I don't think there is any, because I once hooked up a 500GB external USB Hard drive to see what movies it had and it read it, as well as played the movies off of it(And I have the old xbox w/silver band for 3 years and no probs). the Xbox 360, to me, is the closest thing to a PC(That you can't mod or will be banned), being that it is primarily built for xbox 360 games and TV/Video streaming apps and alternative for internet surfing ONLY. So the 360 can read most of anything connected to it via USB

Lone Wolf of XBL... and I like it that way :)

• Level   8

ReaperCE
    The Xbox storage limit for externals... I don't think there is any, because I once hooked up a 500GB external USB Hard drive to see what movies it had and it read it, as well as played the movies off of it(And I have the old xbox w/silver band for 3 years and no probs). the Xbox 360, to me, is the closest thing to a PC(That you can't mod or will be banned), being that it is primarily built for xbox 360 games and TV/Video streaming apps and alternative for internet surfing ONLY. So the 360 can read most of anything connected to it via USB

The limit is for when you use the device as 360 specific memory. The console will only let you use 32GB of it no matter the size of the drive itself.

What you are talking about is using a hard drive for music and video and are quite right that you can connect any size of drive for that, providing it is formatted as FAT32 or HFS+

Mass Effect 3 - MEHEM and Extended Anderson Conversation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmofIH7rN9U.