Dragon's Dogma or Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?

• Level   1

So I'm stuck on which of these two games to get. Any advice?

• Level   5

KoA since its probably cheaper.  the demo for Kingdoms of amalur is pretty much what the real game is like, but if game play videos are anything to go off of  dragons dogma is very different from the demo.

-

haven't gotten dragons dogma yet, but I had kingdoms of amalur and i put a good 66 or so hours into it and didn't even do half the quests

Best free game of the month: Saints Row: The Third.

• Level   5

They both have demos up on the marketplace. Best bet is to check them both out...

• Level   5

yea but the dragons dogma demo doesn't seem to be like the real game, its just 2 closed off spaces for quest, the KoA demo though is like area of the game and they say " do what you want, but you only got an hour."

• Level   5

I haven't played Dragon's Dogma at all... i still have a few RPGs in line in front of it (like the Witcher 2 and FFXIII-2), but it seems good enough. Amalur though I just recently played. It was a wonderful, game. I'd be very surprised if I enjoy Witcher2 or DD more than Amalur... but that's just my guess.

Also, just to throw out there, you might want to look into Dark Souls as well. They're all your medieval fantasy games. some more RPGs than others... that's all I'm sayin.

• Level   7

KoA if you are looking a traditional RPG .DD is a good RPG but lack story IMO. DD have a some good classes and skills but the bad is that there  are some bosses that force you to play as archer if you want to kill them without frustration. Pawns are  useless with some bosses specially the last one. If you like to grind chars in RPGs DD is your choice ...lv cap is 200.

• Level   7

I bought KOA because of the demo which sold me on it, very good combat.  I put about 20 hours into it but haven't gone back to finish it up yet.

I also played the demo for Dogma but I didn't make a purchase yet.

I'll  be picking up Dogma on July 3rd so I can download the RE6 demo.

Next XB1 purchase: Forza Horizon 2
    • Level   5

I also played KoA's demo first and fell in love. I would def try it out first and see if you get a feel for it, but I don't think you'd be dissapointed!

-

Haven't played DD so can't comment. Haven't even read much about it either so it's a bit of a mystery to me.

• Level   5

there is a dragons dogma demo digital, the problem is the demo is like the tutorial and a 1 other quest, the game in reality is open world so the demo doesn't do it justice in a way.

-

from reviews the Pawn system sounds terrible, and in the demo they never shut up which is annoying. but the game itself seems awesome. when i find it for $30 or so I will get it. just waiting for best buy to have one preowned -.-

• Level   7

"If you like to grind chars in RPGs DD is your choice ...lv cap is 200".

Dark Souls' 700+ would like to meet Dragon's Dogma.

In all seriousness though, I'd probably vote Amalur if it were those two. Just looks better to me... less childish. More gameplay, less crap.

Removed by Mod

• Level   5

but leveling up in dark souls is a literal grind. as in, touch a stick, kill some monsters and touch the stick again to make them respawn or is it a fireplace, i forget.

unless you do new game+ in which its replaying the game but harder.

• Level   5

I really enjoyed Dragon Dogma. The following is what I have to say about that game.

Combat is spot on. It is awesome. So many choices and abilities to choose from and mix n' matching different abilities from other classes lets you make truly unique characters.

Exploration is ok. It gets rather boring quickly.  Every bandit, monsters, and mini boss monster is always in the same location every time, but what makes it bad is they never get any stronger... So by level 30 none of these monsters provide much of a challenge anymore. There are a few "ambush" encounters but not a lot of them happen and they are usually easy monsters or a Cyclops. Also travel is restricted to foot travel for most of your first play through. You can eventually get "ferry crystals" that will teleport you to the capital city and even later in the game you get 1 "Port Crystal" that you can put down anywhere to travel back to that location (In NG+ you can buy a bunch of those Port Crystals to fast travel everywhere)

The real fun for the game happens after you think you have beat the game. After you think you are done... more game is still there to play. A bunch of monsters get revamped and have a great power boost. That added a lot of fun back into the game.

For the story... I liked it. It is really minimal though. A good chunk of story at the start of the game. Middle of the game is all just exploration and getting yourself ready for the final battle. End of the game has a ton of story, even dying near the end reveals parts of the story.

Pawns by far are the worse. They almost never stop talking. Even when you sit them down and tell the to shut their traps. But they are good for the combat roles and healer roles. For actual gameplay purpose they work great. It is really just the constant talking that is bad about them.

The Constitution does not just protect those whose views we share; it also protects those with whose views we disagree.
    --Edward Kennedy

• Level   5

I always forget about demos! Thanks Revenge will have to check it out, but will keep in mind that it doesn't compare to the actual game!

• Level   7

"but leveling up in dark souls is a literal grind. as in, touch a stick, kill some monsters and touch the stick again to make them respawn or is it a fireplace, i forget.

unless you do new game+ in which its replaying the game but harder".

The choice to grind is yours entirely. I only grind a few souls here and there as I decide to do new things... if I'm ready to buy someone's sorceries but I can't afford it and am not getting too many at that point (and I know the total cost) I'll sit down at a decent location and get those souls.  I don't grind the whole time just to level up, because there's no point. You could do that for all eternity, but why would you? "Just because you can" is sending you in the wrong direction. The game is best at certain levels each playthrough and area anyway, for co-op and invasions.... being too high will stop you getting those, which is a pity, and skew the game in general.

Also, New Game + is supposed to make the game last longer/keep it viable for your character, not make your grinding easier... the purpose of the game isn't to hit maximum level or even a high level. If there ever was a game where level grinding isn't the way to go, this is it. By all means, do some to hit your goals (maybe you want 36 Strength before you move on to Resistance, because you can then use a Shield/Sword you like) but certainly don't do much.

________

Like I say, and I'm not trying to be annoying about it or anything, just try it again and play it naturally. Higher level = not always the way to go anyway : )

Removed by Mod

• Level   5

Why not just play both? Simple.