Media Center Extender...

• Level   2

In a way, I agree, HDMI pass through is lacking.  But, Microsoft is moving away from Media Center.  It's no longer included with Windows, it's an add-on that you need to pay for.  I work in the Cable industry and I can see the changes happening.   The days of video delivered over coax is numbered -- the future is in IP video.  While I would have loved for the Xbox one to have a cable card installed, along with a COAX in, I believe that the platform is set for the eventual transition to IP Video.  As long as the platform has internet connectivity, software updates will allow the platform to take the place of the traditional cable box in the future.

-

Microsoft does not need to compete against the likes of Comcast, Time Warner, or Cable Vision.  Nor do they need to compete against Arris or Scientific Atlanta.  They could build a platform that enhances cable.  In fact, they already are with their partnership with Comcast and Time Warner cable.  I'd love to send my DVR back and use an Xbox that can game, watch and record tv, and provide an assume guide.

• Level   2

Lestat, that all depends on the franchise agreement.  In most of the areas in PA, you can get Blast (50 meg) without video for about $70.  But there are some franchise agreements that require the MSO to provide basic video at a set amount.  And yes, Comcast can separate out the lines of business.  Most systems are now not only fully digital (requiring at least a cable card), they are also encrypted meaning you have to have a box, dta, or cable card with an active subscription to a video service.  Even prior to the digital conversion and encryption, the cable  company could install a filter that blocks out the video and only allow data to pass through the line since internet and phone run on specific channels or quams.

• Level   1

Have we heard anything new from Microsoft on the support for Media Center Extenders?  This is a critical part of our XBOX use.  My wife would not support a plan to buy a new device that can only play games and apps but not access our "core requirement" for our TV which is <gasp> watching TV.

• Level   1

I don't think this is a technology issue. Rather this is a greed vs loyalty issue. The real trend is to find a way to bill the customer every single month. This of course, will be good for the Corporation's bottom line, so they think. The fact that Microsoft Store no longer sells the Ceton CableCARD tuner forbodes poorly for those of us here holding out hope for WMC or equivalent tuner card integration in the new Xbox One. Having been a loyal  microsoft customer, I've purchased many things from them over the years including the great Ceton cable card tuner and the Microsoft Surface RT which to say the least has been a disappointment. But loyalty goes both ways, so now it's time for Microsoft to step up to the plate and take care of those who have taken care of them.  We may be small in number, but our voices will not be quelled. Just say it Microsoft, "a WMC app will be installable in the new Xbox One". For our part, we will say we are even willing to purchase it and continue being loyal Microsoft customers.

• Level   4

pssst its been 2 days, when you think they will say it?

Playing Destiny on X1..need lvl 27+ guardians for weekly raids/heroic events. See you out there!

• Level   5

I tried WMC back when i had a windows computer and i found it a bit cumbersome. Love Apple Airplay

• Level   4

I think Macs are the minority for a reason in this country...just not as user friendly, otherwise dont you think we would all be typing about the new MACBOX ONE coming out better have apple airplay streaming capability?

Playing Destiny on X1..need lvl 27+ guardians for weekly raids/heroic events. See you out there!

• Level   1

MS is purposely not answering us. And the people getting info from MS won't either ask the correct question, or they do, and then MS makes them refrase their questions and answers with the following, as per the IGN page where I asked the guy to find out about WMC and Extenders, DVRs, ect:

"Will Xbox One have any TV DVR functionality? Or is the DVR just for games?

WHITTEN: It’s easy to use your current DVR with Xbox One. Our focus is on making the TV experience great – with favorite channels, voice control (including play, pause, fast forward and rewind with your DVR) and more. This is an area where you’ll see us drive more innovation over the years to come."

This method is beyond sad. No one wants dumb IR blaster control of a cablebox DVR. That is so 10 years ago.

• Level   5

U Go 6 FT BeLOW

I think Macs are the minority for a reason in this country...just not as user friendly, otherwise dont you think we would all be typing about the new MACBOX ONE coming out better have apple airplay streaming capability?

Not to mention they're about twice the price of a comparable PC.

*** I see stars! ***

• Level   1

You cannot compare Apple anything to WMC when it comes to an all in one media player option. Bluray & DVD all stored to hard drives, HDTV DVR functionality that beats any cable co solution, and all the others in something you can spec out yourself to what you need. The easiest possible remote to run it all and a case that fits in with all you A/V gear. All this without Apples 'We know what's better for you than you do' attitude.

• Level   1

Marc Whitten just confirmed via IGN "Ask Microsoft Anything" that Xbox One will NOT be a native media center extender.  big fail

• Level   4

pretty disappointing. but hopefully it means we have something built into x1 soon so we can access our tuner cards.

""Microsoft have been doing this for a while. I think they know what they are doing. If we could just show them some trust and some faith, the whole thing would go a lot smoother."- IIFatalshockII" - Dudeskis01

• Level   1

Very disappointing indeed.  I'm not sure why they aren't making it a native extender.  I'm not going to go as far as to say I'm going to cancel my Xbone preorder, but as someone who doesn't have cable, this is a huge hit to the box's functionality.  An explanation would be nice as well as it'd be good to know if there are any alternatives.

• Level   2

Instead of giving us more functions that were actually useful like ,external HDD and Media Center Extender capability , they have taken those away and replaced them with nonsense.There probably are a few people at Micro$oft that should be worried about their jobs over this entire fiasco.

• Level   1

the debate is over - it has been answered and was answered early last month

http://i.imgur.com/AARoM5x.png

Will Xbox One work as a Windows Media Center Extender? For those that use a PC with TV tuner to record and watch TV, we use the 360 as an extender to stream this content to TVs. Will this continue with Xbox One?

WHITTEN: Xbox One isn’t a native Media Center Extender. We’ll continue to work to enable more ways for everyone to get the television they want over the life of the program.