Kinect 2.0 is going to hold back Xbox one

• Level   8

yep, he meant it is keeping many people from buying the Xbox One

Xbox One Day One

Destiny Titan level 26 looking for some people to play Strikes with and then Raids. Send FR and message so I know what the FR is for.

• Level   3

CODukes4

So getting back to the original thread.  "Kinect two is going to hold back xbox one".  Performance wise, the kinect will do nothing except add to the gaming experience.  Did the OP mean "kinect two is holding me back from the xbox one"?  

I'm guessing that the OP meant that the Kinect will limit the sales of the Xbox One.  In turn, if the sales are low, developers aren't going to spend time and money developing for it.

I could be wrong, though.

Thank you for the option to remove Kinect, Microsoft.  You just sold another Xbox One.

• Level   4

Whetzel

CODukes4

Whetzel

Lord Dirt

Merlin4421

r00fus1337

Imagine how quiet it would be in here if MS just said unplug it if you feel like it. What would be the next axe to grind?

While I'm not gonna unplug mine and will enjoy the new Kinect.  I do understand those that want to unplug it....I do hope they give us a technical reason as to why we can't physically unplug it that isn't BS.  BUT if we can unplug it the next thing would be...why not make an xbox without the Kinect?

Like I said, I dont mind the price and I dont mind it being bundled in BUT just let me unplug it. 

I feel the exact same way.

I'm willing to give Microsoft extra money for something that I have no interest in, as long as they let ME decide if I want to use it or not.

Do you think a reasonable answer to this would be a hypothetical on/off switch?

Simply turning it "off" via software doesn't convince me that it's actually "off".  If it's unplugged, I KNOW it's off.  Which raises the bigger question.  If it can be turned off, via software, why can't it simply be unplugged?

That fact alone tells me that something is going on behind the scenes that Microsoft doesn't want people to know about.

The main reason I see is a group of customers would take it out of the box and throw it away with out giving it a chance.  Especially with the big nsa commotion going on ....This would undermine the whole process of helping the kinect grow.  Making the kinect a permanent piece of the one lets developers know that all customers have it plugged in and ready to go.

Co-op: Assassins Creed Unity - Far Cry - Evolve - Halo MC - Dying Light - Division - Crew  - Dead Island - NBA 2K

SP:  Mad Max - Alien - Evil Within - Tomb Raider - Witcher

MP: COD - BF - Battlefront - RB6

• Level   8

But if people like myself never use it and will not buy games for it what is the difference of it being "off" or unplugged? You can't make someone buy a game for K2 just because it is plugged in.

Xbox One Day One

Destiny Titan level 26 looking for some people to play Strikes with and then Raids. Send FR and message so I know what the FR is for.

• Level   3

CODukes4

Whetzel

CODukes4

Whetzel

Lord Dirt

Merlin4421

r00fus1337

Imagine how quiet it would be in here if MS just said unplug it if you feel like it. What would be the next axe to grind?

While I'm not gonna unplug mine and will enjoy the new Kinect.  I do understand those that want to unplug it....I do hope they give us a technical reason as to why we can't physically unplug it that isn't BS.  BUT if we can unplug it the next thing would be...why not make an xbox without the Kinect?

Like I said, I dont mind the price and I dont mind it being bundled in BUT just let me unplug it. 

I'm willing to give Microsoft extra money for something that I have no interest in, as long as they let ME decide if I want to use it or not.

Simply turning it "off" via software doesn't convince me that it's actually "off".  If it's unplugged, I KNOW it's off.  Which raises the bigger question.  If it can be turned off, via software, why can't it simply be unplugged?

That fact alone tells me that something is going on behind the scenes that Microsoft doesn't want people to know about.

The main reason I see is a group of customers would take it out of the box and throw it away with out giving it a chance.  Especially with the big nsa commotion going on ....This would undermine the whole process of helping the kinect grow.  Making the kinect a permanent piece of the one lets developers know that all customers have it plugged in and ready to go.

But those people (myself included) aren't even going to purchase an Xbox One if the Kinect HAS to be plugged in all the time.  Microsoft is losing a lot of money by not giving people an option.

If the Xbox One doesn't sell well, forget about developers not developing for Kinect.  They're not going to develop for the system at all.  That's much more detrimental in the end.

Thank you for the option to remove Kinect, Microsoft.  You just sold another Xbox One.

• Level   4

I think they plan on using it for more than just strictly wii type games...If major titles start incorporating the kinect in different ways like the zombies in dr3 it will end up in a place where we are all happy.  I'm going to stop for a couple seconds and think of different ideas off the top of my head....Maybe COD could use it to call in Kill streaks.  "Dogs"...and you wouldn't have to flip through your kill streaks to call in the kill streak you want called in first.  Or in the lobby screen, "Weekly leaderboards"...straight to a specific leaderboard.   These are two ideas that one knucklehead (me), thought of in literally ten seconds.  They are small things, but these things add up to a better gaming experience.  I would also go out on a leg and assume they can come up with better ideas than those, and they aren't even that bad of ideas.

Co-op: Assassins Creed Unity - Far Cry - Evolve - Halo MC - Dying Light - Division - Crew  - Dead Island - NBA 2K

SP:  Mad Max - Alien - Evil Within - Tomb Raider - Witcher

MP: COD - BF - Battlefront - RB6

• Level   3

CODukes4

I think they plan on using it for more than just strictly wii type games...If major titles start incorporating the kinect in different ways like the zombies in dr3 it will end up in a place where we are all happy.  I'm going to stop for a couple seconds and think of different ideas off the top of my head....Maybe COD could use it to call in Kill streaks.  "Dogs"...and you wouldn't have to flip through your kill streaks to call in the kill streak you want called in first.  Or in the lobby screen, "Weekly leaderboards"...straight to a specific leaderboard.   These are two ideas that one knucklehead (me), thought of in literally ten seconds.  They are small things, but these things add up to a better gaming experience.  I would also go out on a leg and assume they can come up with better ideas than those, and they aren't even that bad of ideas.

I agree, those aren't bad ideas, but I don't see why those commands couldn't be accomplished with a simple, and cheap, microphone.

• Level   8

people keep saying the DR3 K2 feature but having a wife and a five year old son making noise all the time makes it more annoying than anything.

Xbox One Day One

• Level   8

Whetzel

I agree, those aren't bad ideas, but I don't see why those commands couldn't be accomplished with a simple, and cheap, microphone.

exactly, we had voice commands on the original Xbox through the headset mic

Xbox One Day One

• Level   2

Whetzel

CODukes4

Whetzel

CODukes4

Whetzel

Lord Dirt

Merlin4421

r00fus1337

But those people (myself included) aren't even going to purchase an Xbox One if the Kinect HAS to be plugged in all the time.  Microsoft is losing a lot of money by not giving people an option.

If the Xbox One doesn't sell well, forget about developers not developing for Kinect.  They're not going to develop for the system at all.  That's much more detrimental in the end.

This is exactly why the XB1 will eventually be sold without the Kinect.  If it was removed tomorrow, the Kinect supporters would still buy the system.  If it's forced for the life of the console,  there will be people who will just not buy the system no matter how much they would want to play xbox exclusives.  Keeping it bundled won't get Microsoft nearly as many sales as removing it would. 

• Level   1

Okay to the comments I see about saying I need it to just play games I don't need it to do anything else.  Okay well look at it   this way if developers and engineers thought the same way there would no innovation. There is nothing innovating about adding more power and making graphics better, but finding new ways to immerse players in the gaming world is innovating.  If you want to use that same mentality about the new Kinect then look at cars for example, you don't need a car with power windows, or a radio, or power seats, but people insist on having these things.

Not one person in the forums have actually used the new Kinect or have seen its real applications, to say its gimmicky or dumb is ignorant.  Technology only gets better with time and if consumers want to see things progress into something that's going to really be futuristic or something that's maintaining the status quo.  

I understand that people want or don't want the new Kinect but what we as consumers need to understand manufacturers cannot make a product exactly made to what you want.  Microsoft has been around longer then many of you have been alive and if by them trying to push a new technology on us to help push society into new ways of user interface then I am willing to pay the extra 100 bucks to see if I my input will help develop a product to something exciting for future generations.  

If you like what they are trying to do, go to the competitors and stay with the status quo I am sure you will be happy with what the competition has to offer you instead.

• Level   4

I guess many of you are unawear of consumer law! If Microsoft sell something that is mandatory and have specifically said it can not be disconnected, but then sell a version without, all those that bought it with, could sue for false advertising. Maybe the law is different in the US but in the UK I don't  think it will ever happen, now please let's stop this.

• Level   2

Lord Dirt

Yep, I just want to know why MS is being so silent on K2.

This is what bothers me..Tell us why,give us cold hard facts about why we can not unplug it..Why this doesn't bother everyone is kinda shocking to me..

Whats the big secret MS?

Plus the vid of the girl,,yeah neat ,,but she was doing slow controlled movements (and it still seemed to be slightly delayed) what about fast quick movements ..

• Level   1

@Gator

With Gamescon around the corner I am sure these questions and many more will be answered and many more.  Patience is a virtue.  Its business strategy, you don't want to put all your cards on the table and let the competition know what you are doing 100% till the end.  We can start to see some information trickle down about both consoles, but the same goes with PS4 they are being quiet as well.  Just about 2 weeks and we should have all the knowledge we need to know, hopefully.

• Level   4

Just keep in mind that from what's been said so far the Gamescom event is aimed at media/journalists and developers and not the fans (Like I'm pretty sure there's no actual stage show or live stream) so I don't think we'll be getting those kind of answers at it

@FaviousM