Media Center Extender...

• Level   1

The HDMI pass through is kind of a joke, I could care less about that; I mean, most of us  have home theater receivers, I don't want to HDMI pass through my Oppo, etc. through my reciever to get HD audio to then have it pass through the XBOX One again, kind of ridiculous.

BUT, like a lot of people, I use Windows Media Center extensively.. I keep 12 cable card tuners, my Windows 2012 Server with all of my recorded TV and archives.. and I am most concerned about keeping the Windows Media Center extender functionality.    The games/etc. are nice, but without WMC Extender capabilities, this is a pass for me... I'm hearing mixed thoughts on whether or not this function stays, but it's critical (IMHO).. with just a 500Gb HDD, there is no point in connecting the one with my Cablecard tuners (it couldn't record or manage anything) so the DVR function is the part people want...

• Level   1

I second this...  I bought a second 360 primarily for the MC Extender functionality.

• Level   1

I am with these guys! I own 6 XBOX 360's all of which are my PRIMARY cable boxes as this cuts monthly rental fees on DVRs/Set top boxes. I only play games on 2 of them. PLEASE have a Media Center APP!!!!

• Level   1

Ditto, while I don't have 12 tuners I do have 8 (2 Ceton cards) and all my family, extended family and several friends have similar configurations.

We all have one or more 360s and all are running Windows 8 Media Center with Ceton InfiniTVs.

• Level   1

I'm also in this same boat. I use Windows 8 Media Center with three tuners (and a tuning adapter) with four Xbox 360's. This is the only access I have to cable TV. I don't own/rent set top boxes. I've written a letter to Larry Hryb (Major Nelson). If I get any response, I'll post the information here. I sure hope they have extender support in the Xbox One. I don't have much interest in using it to watch live TV only.

• Level   1

I agree. WMC is a must have feature. This is a phenomenal app that should not be abandoned. I run a dual tuner PCI card, as well as an HDhomerun off my antenna. I then have a HDhomerun Prime running off the cable. This gives me 7 tuners. When cable jacks my rates up, I can turn them off and run strictly off the antenna with about 40 channels. Then when they give me a new promo rate, I'll gladly sign back up for TV service. The best part is they don't have me hostage with their cable box. I'm not paying fees, and I don't have to worry about returning a box and losing all my recordings and settings when I do cancel. That will make it easy to do a short term cancellation to force Time Warner to provide a better rate.

• Level   2

I agree with all of you. I have no cable boxes and use the xbox360s as extenders to the wmc.

• Level   1

I have received no response from Larry Hryb. But, I just read this article http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/4352710/live-tv-on-the-xbox-one-microsoft-didnt-learn-from-google-tv

I was really hoping Microsoft was going to enhance the media center experience, but it appears that they plan to just use the HDMI passthrough to overlay live TV onto the screen. Yuck! With so many people using cablecard technology (HDHomeRun, Ceton, etc) I don't understand why they didn't try to incorporate that into their plans.

While I would settle for using the Xbox One as a media center extender, I was really hoping that they would leverage their ownership of the media center platform to provide direct integration with the Xbox One's TV capabilities. The Xbox One could talk directly to the media center PC to control its tuners, schedule recordings, and display video streams. Instead it looks like all they're going to do is have Xbox One provide TV listings and act like a TV remote control.

• Level   4

@JeffRand,  Your article is not about Window's Media Center. It's about The HDMI pass-through for TV box's with the guide overlay that is enabled with voice commands.  Its not going to surprise me if they never allow third party devices to utilize HDMI as a controller input,  that's why there have to be IR blasters.  IR blasters in my experience work great.

• Level   1

I'm still hoping that the guide on the xbox one will be built to act as a "new media center extender." There's no reason that guide can't be the new extender.

• Level   1

This seems somewhat contradictory for MS to describe a vision for XB1 where the console blends into the background as my media hub. (Camouflaged by my other entertainment devices)  If I have to plug my Xbox 360 into a HDMI pass-through, that simply won’t be the case.  I don’t want to see my old Xbox sitting next to my new one just for the purpose of watching TV with my cable card.  Frankly, that is the reason I got rid of my cable box. It was an unnecessary piece of equipment because I had an Xbox in the same room.  One less device to look at and control.  I know Microsoft thinks this is a step forward, and for most it is, I would presume.  For those of us with an Xbox 360 in every room, taking advantage of parental controls, unlimited recording capability, and tapping into the Media Center experience, it will be a damn shame to sit in front of my TV constantly reminded, if MS would just add extender to the XB1, I could finally give my Grandma my old Xbox 360.

Oh well.

• Level   1

It hadn't even dawned on me until now that Media Center Extender functionality might not be included. I guess I just took it for granted that it would be. I can't seem to find any definitive answer to confirm or deny it as of yet, but I'm not optimistic at the moment. I was planning on getting an xbox one for the bluray and updated kinect (plus a few of the new games coming out look pretty sweet) but I primarily use my xbox for media center. The lack of this functionality would pretty much be a deal breaker. Why on earth would they remove it if they're marketing this device as the hub of the living room?

• Level   1

just to add to the rage I'm in the same boat as the posters above

I've got 2 Xbox 360's and the second one was but 99% as media extender only to upgrade to a Xbox One i would be trading in one of my old 360's and getting less functionality for it. I could just about live with the lack of backward compatibility but I would like to see MSFT say in writing someone what's happening with the Extender feature as that is a deal breaker for me

I was looking at pre-ordering but with this question mark over the box that's on hold.

• Level   1

I have 3 XBox 360s acting as live TV extenders. I too was going to order the XB1 until I discovered that there was no confirmation that a Windows Media Center app was going to be included at launch. What a show stopper and completely contradicts Microsoft's claim that the Xbox One will become the  living room hub- not in my household without WMC and/or Windows 8 Media extender/streaming capabilities.

• Level   1

I too have a Media Center network with Ceton and three MCEs.  I had a feeling MS would quietly drop MCE from Xbox One when they all but dropped it from Windows 8.  They say only 6% of Windows users every use Media Center.  I guess they don't care about 6% of their user base.  Plus, why would they support content they aren't charging for?  "Please insert money to continue..."