Big brother Kinect is NECESSARY?

• Level   7
    Why does the xb1 need kinect on or you can't use it? I've played on xbox for 8 years and never needed it. I understand that it can help functionality, but what about those that don't need or want it. We have cameras on us in traffic, while we shop, while we are anywhere outside our home. I don't need one in my house if I choose not to have one. Is it that if I cover the camera while using XB1 I will not be able to use this device that I paid 500+ for?... My house, My rules.
    • Level   5

QFT.

I have never had a kinect either and never felt as if missed anything. And I sure as hell don't want it forced on me.

• Level   3

Surely this is a breach of human rights & must be illegal in many countries around the world.

Unless MS change their policy with Kinect having to be plugged in to use the console I can see this being banned for sale in many countries. Lawsuits will be coming your way Microsoft....

• Level   7

Whoah... It's not a breach of human rights MESSENGER. Just that I don't want to be monitored by Microsoft. There are many hm rights campaigns out there to involve yourself In. This is VIDEO GAME discussion...

• Level   3

In the UK phone tapping is considered illegal. This is the same thing except now their tapping into your homes activities.

How is this not a breach of human rights?

All I want to do is play a video game but I refuse to allow Big Brother into my home for the pleasure of playing a silly video game.

• Level   7

K. Ty for the info. Just trying to start a conversation about xb1...

• Level   3

this is a problem ducktape can solve.

partially.

you can stop it from watching you by taping over the camera, but you can't stop it from listening unless you get a little more technical.

• Level   8

Messenger

Surely this is a breach of human rights & must be illegal in many countries around the world.

I hate being forced to use Kinect as much as the next guy, but this situation has absolutely nothing to do with human rights. Privacy MAYBE, but not human rights. 

• Level   3

good lord, people ... nobody is going to be spying on you - are you all REALLY that paranoid or are you just trying to find something else to complain about? 

and nobody is FORCING anything on you ... you don't have to buy it

nice gpic Nate! :P

The Universe runs on Windows XP ...
    • Level   9

Somebody at the top has (and has had) a hardcore no-stops vision for the Kinect and it's killing the Xbox. I think it's more important than the actual gaming component to them.

Kinect has been a monkey on the Xbox's back, since the day it was concieved...and it's grown into guerrillala.

March 11th - The unofficial, official launch of the Xbox One.
    • Level   9

I think the privacy settings on the Kinect are a bunch of b.s. If the settings basically turn it off, then why not just let us disconnect it? Probably because the settings are not as thorough at that. Parts of the Kinect will remain on, and what it's actually doing during those setting modes, we don't know...and that's a deal breaker for me. What is it doing exactly, that it has to be connected?

If you don't think it will ever be used for data collecting (at the very least), you're delusional.

March 11th - The unofficial, official launch of the Xbox One.
    • Level   4

Good god, if you think for the slightest moment Microsoft would be interested in watching you then you are quite honestly either pathetic or have a majorly inflated opinion of yourself. Besides, they have said you can disable the camera part.

• Level   5

@Damashiuchi

People do want to spy on you. www.techdirt.com/articles/20120507/02063518798/here-we-go-again-fbi-wants-backdoors-to-snoop-nearly-all-internet-communications.shtml

The UK government also want's something similar and during the London riots voice communication over Xbox live was brought up in parliament as a potential issue  as young people were using the party chat to organize looting and things. It's also been brought up with criminals using party chat to communicate and organize crimes.

The FBI or MI6/Scotland yard could in theory use an Xbox and it's Kinect to spy on you.

• Level   4

or any other piece of tech, but it not built FOR that.

• Level   5

And your mobile phone is not built for you to be spied on, it's made primarily so you can make phone calls.

Being spied on is wrong regardless and MS had the option to allow people a degree of privacy but chose to be as obtrusively invasive as it could seemingly get away with.