Kinect does NOT spy on you...

• Level   1

Are you guys seriously thinking MS will use the kinect to spy on you ?

If your THAT paranoid of getting spied on you may as well go live on a deserted island with no electronics what so ever.

It's very simple , it's against the law to spy on people..there's a privacy law that protects consumers from any spying....end of story.

Personally i don't care , they already confirmed you can turn it off , so it's not a big deal to me , and i was undecided , but i will more then likely get one anyways , i like the exclusive games MS has to offer , i like the xbox live service compared to the PSN , XBL still far superior to PSN and will probably stay that way.the only thing i have somewhat of an issue with is the calling home once a day , as i live in a very rural area and my cable sometimes goes out for a day or 2...but maybe that will also be addressed at E3 , the fee for playing a "used" game or a "borrowed" game i think thats actually a decent idea for the developers , it would just mean that if you have to pay a say $5 fee for playing a game you borrowed or bought used , then Gamestop and the likes would just have to lower their trade/used prices , so what now is a used game for $40 would have to be sold at $35 , then when you get home you would have to add another $5 to the game to play it, for the developers it's a good thing , not all companies out there can make COD franchise type games that rake in millions.

• Level   2

I think you`re being a tad hasty here. They havent strictly confirmed you can turn it off. They`ve been rather ambiguous about it. From what i remember the only way to truly turn the camera off is to turn the xbox off. Even then the mic on the camera remains on as it must constantly be listening in order for voice commands like "Xbox on" to be able to turn it on. Sorry to rain on your parade somewhat.

I dont want the camera, but not because of spying fears, though I do worry about its potential for being abused further down the line. My issue is with having to pay a premium for this jumped up entertainment system (when all I want is a gaming console) as the cost of the "forced to buy with" kinect is inevitably going to drive the cost of the system up. I`m never going to use the camera, it`ll spend its life pointing at the wall or covered with a towel. An utterly bizarre decision by some cretinous numpty in a suit. *facepalm*

Serving Booster Justice! Randy Savage is my hero! ;-)
    • Level   4

It would  only spying and illegal if its not agreed to. If you consent (damned certain to be in terms and condition,s small print somehow page 7) Then you gave consent.

As for spying really we are on CCTV umpteen times a day without permission. So that is a laugh. They said you can turn it off, yet it will still respond when you verbally turn it on, therefore the mike would have to be on to hear you say XBONE on. They admit they will monitoring you to send targeted ads etc. That is not paranoid that is fact.

With hacking of places like the government etc being so easy, are we so sure that will not happen here with the kinect ?? really they can get into the pentagon but not an XBONE.

It is hard being right all the time on MS policy. It gets me so much hatred and jealousy leveled at me. Oh well I have broad shoulders.

• Level   2

www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Xbox-One-track-EVERYTHING-watch-TV--reward-watching-ads.html

This will let you know most of the things Microsoft are trying to do.

• Level   2

OP is EXTREMELY naive.  OP, usage of the console Nd connection to the service requires your consent.  There is typically a giant block of text to read and this text.

• Level   1

Well, I think (sic: hope) Microsoft will collect all its data to improve the Kinect's capabilities and respond on user-feedback.

• Level   5

Bruno Hslaww

With hacking of places like the government etc being so easy, are we so sure that will not happen here with the kinect ?? really they can get into the pentagon but not an XBONE.

Hacker 1:  What is he doing?

Hacker 2:  He's still sitting on the couch playing FIfa 14.

Hacker 1:  OK, well... keep watching... I'm sure he'll eventually get up and show his credit card to the Kinect camera.

Hacker 2:  It's been 4 hours....he hasn't moved.

• Level   V

Of course they won't.

• Level   1

Couldn't the gov just use the patriot act and use your x1 to spy on? Granted Im sure the gov doesn't want to watch me sit back in recliner in my tighty whites drinking, but if they want to spy on a select group of people this will pave the way. Personaly myself Im more worried about getting cancer from having Kinect using its fixed camera pointing lazers at me. But if the viewing part did bug a person just throw a towel over it... or wrap the Kinect with alumin foil first then towel... this will prevent unwanted viewing and then muffle their bugs. ;)

Seriously though... I've read stories where people were photographed from their laptops built in camera doing well stuff they didn't obviously want the public to see. Im sure the same could happen to some Kinect user.

• Level   2

You can dang sure bet the first time DSS is called on a parent, or someone is suspected of selling drugs, law enforcement or GovCo will use it for a direct line into your living room...

• Level   2

The difference is that the laptop/computer has access to billions of apps/programs which are not controlled by any company to make sure they are secure and usually people get infected due to their stupidity and curiosity.

e.g: 'Make $15k/mo from home/ using the internet', 'You have received a new msg', 'hello sexy, wanna chat'. CLICK CLICK CLICK.

Another problem is the piracy and the thousands of viruses that comes with cracks.

I am also sure it was the main reason MS didn't allow you to download stuff using IE back on 360.

• Level   5

Wampum Biskit
    It's very simple , it's against the law to spy on people..there's a privacy law that protects consumers from any spying....end of story.

While you are 100% correct about this, laws have been broken many time in the past, laws broken with the kenect I'm not sure about but with the new SKYPE ( I love skype ) for the Kenect this may give an easy in for the those on either side of the law to tap into your conversations. In some cased law enforcement doesn't even need a warrant.

the minds eye can be deceving. and what you thought you saw could be nothing more than shadows of nothing after all. ~svs~
    • Level   1

well yes , even though they don't need a warrant , it's still governed by strict policies.even post 9/11 there's still policies in place that protect the average joe from getting spied on for no reason.

i see the kinect more as my smart phone which has voice capabilities , and is nearly also always on listening and waiting on a command to me thats pretty much the same as my kinects microphone being on. I just think people are greatly over reacting to the whole "invasion of Privacy" which is governed by some very strict laws.

and yes we are on CCTV alot during the day , however privacy laws between you being in your private home or our in public are very different.

• Level   1

Microsoft have used every tool at their disposal to gather information on clients and potential clients (so everyone not under a rock and even if you are under a rock you better not use wireless) for some time now.

The fact that you say this isn't an issue leads me to believe you either don't understand what has been proposed or your personal opinion in this matter is worthless.

• Level   5

Let common sense prevail!

The tougher the battle, the sweeter the victory!!