Xbox One and Media Center

• Level   1

Will the new TV functionality of the Xbox One work with TV tuners working through Windows Media Center? I invested in a Ceton tuner and I'm currently using Media Center to stream to 4 Xbox 360's throughout my house. Will I be able to do the same through Xbox One?

• Level   1

I am very interested in the same question. We run an OTA antennae to our windows 8 computer and use WMC app on two Xbox 360's. Works fantastic. Hope they still have an app on Xbox One.

Also, please allow us to pin the WMC app. It gets annoying to have to dig a few menu layers down each time to get to it. Or at least allow it to be in the recent section.

But most of all, please keep the functionality of being able to DVR my OTA programs.

• Level   1

agreed, i'm in same situation, use Media Center Extender extensively across my two 360's to get to my dedicated media center with a ceton tuner.  I've also set up a buddy of mine as with the same set up at his house.

• Level   1

Me too...Using two 360's to connect to a win 7 box via HDHome Run with Comcast Cable card. I want to be able to pin live tv this way as well to the home screen.

• Level   2

I'm just looking for the simple answer. That Xbox One will still have Media Center Access. I simply use it now to access my music library so I can pipe music throughout the house.

• Level   1

Yep, using a ceton card, would really like for this to work to stream TV to my Xbox One.... I don't want to have to give the cable company money for a box, and this has worked awesomely to this point...

• Level   1

While I hope the answer is yes to the Xbox one having the Media Center Extender functionality, at least I have a back up plan. Major Nelson did say that you can run pretty much any device into the input on the One. Including your current 360 or a HTPC.

• Level   1

What I'm hoping for is to be able to use the extender capability (or the HDMI pass-thru), along with the same features that were demonstrated at E3. It would be nice to be able to control everything with voice and gestures, while not having to have a separate cable-box hooked up. I already have my CableCard running through my Media Center PC and XBox 360, so to have it more integrated with the XBox One would be great.

• Level   1

Yes, I agree, I would also be okay with HDMI Passthrough with my WMC PC, as long as we can take advantage of the overlay features as well.

• Level   1

As a casual gamer, the extender capabilities are a must if I am to pick up a One.  I have 4 360s running WMC and the system works great.  The idea of hooking up a 360 or a HTPC to the One is way more trouble than it is worth.  If that is the case I can pick up a GoogleTV box and do the same thing today.  

The silence on this issue isn't encouraging, I think MS is hoping to abandon WMC and have cable companies flock to them to use the One as an all in one cable box.  

• Level   1

WMC capabilities are kind of a go/no-go for me. WMC feels like Zune though. As awesome as it is, it's the neglected child.

• Level   1

Jabadaw

While I hope the answer is yes to the Xbox one having the Media Center Extender functionality, at least I have a back up plan. Major Nelson did say that you can run pretty much any device into the input on the One. Including your current 360 or a HTPC.

I predict this will be problematic.  The XBOX Universal Media Remote will probably get picked up by *both* the X-Bone and the 360.   You can use an RC6 remote with the 360 and probably set the XBone not to pick that up, but the RC6 remotes are generally not as good.  Maybe use a Harmony 300 set to "Linksys DMA-2200" to control the XBOX?

• Level   1
    I use windows media center on my media PC to watch and record TV with multiple tuner cards.  When I heard you were integrating TV into xboxone I thought my dreams of a unified media experience had come true. But, No.  .You opt to try integrating shitey set top boxes with their uber clunky interfaces via an HDMI bodge and an IR blaster.  Are you kidding!  

Media center is simply the best, most fluid PVR system on the planet, but because it's good you dump the team behind it: I guess these days you have an aversion to employing people who know what they are doing, in fact going out your way to eject all the great folk who used to work for you.

Why is it you seem to be going out of your way to upset the faithful, for the love of God, how difficult would it have been to build in support for the media-center TV service. Oh, I forgot, you shutdown the team which cared about a real TV experience, and have tried to re-invent the wheel, you are idiots.

I thought it was a given that I'd buy xbox one as I am a self confessed fan boy based on the view that the technologies MS has forged in the passed were technologies which enabled us, but my motivation has been crushed by your poor decisions, the concept of ONE is dear to my heart, it's in my domain name, my gamer tag, and every where that a nickname is required. Unification is the ultimate goal, not fragmentation.

Although your perspective is distinctly USA based, surely you realise that most TV's in the rest of the world - yes I know most of you don't have passports and don't truly get the concept of a space that is not withing the confines of your bankrupt country - the kind most people are buying today has an integrated digital tuner. You think I can convince my Samsung to loop it's video through it's two HDMI inputs. Oh wait you need an output to create a loop.

Really what is the point. If you had half a brain you'd be dangerous.
    • Level   4

Ramble on.....

• Level   1

I am interested in this also. I have been using my XBox 360 for years and use the Media Center functionality daily. I record TV programs with my computer and we watch them from the 360.

If the new Xbox One does not function as a Media Center Extender then I will have a vary hard time justifying a purchase.