Xbox one HDMI pass thru, do you think you can.....

• Level   1
    It was said that you can use the Xbox one to watch tv and switch channels and all using the hdmi pass thru on the Xbox one and said using cable box or satellite box But does anyone think you could use a coxial to hdmi or component to hdmi adapter and hook up a DTV Receiver box To the adapter then to the hdmi pass thru and still Be able to use your Xbox one to watch tv as intended for??? And if any Microsoft employees could shed some light on this theory it would help alot also THANKS :)
    • Level   2

So heres the main difference between the technologies you are asking about.

HDMI - Digital

Coaxial - Analog

HDMI can carry control signals along with the picture/sound data. These control signals are what Xbox One would use to send/retrieve data from your setbox to change channels and whatever. Coaxial is not capable of carrying such a signal. So it might work to get a picture and sound but I am doubtful you will be able to change channels. Your best bet would be to upgrade your box to a model with HDMi most cable/satellite companies have one with HDMI.

Arkhira: 75DRK, 75WAR, 37THF, 37NIN, 37SAM Server: Seraph CoP: Complete ZM: Complete Apoc Nigh: Complete
    • Level   2

Interestingly enough, the XBOX ONE FAQ claimed they were making every effort possible for the TV features to work with OTA, cable, online TV, Satellite, etc. yet the system requirements clearly claim that only HDMI-based technologies will work.

news.xbox.com/.../qa

Q:    Do I need to have a specific cable or satellite TV provider to watch live TV on Xbox?

A:    Our goal is to enable live TV through Xbox One in every way that it is delivered throughout the world, whether that’s television service providers, over the air or over the Internet, or HDMI-in via a set top box (as is the case with many providers in the US). The delivery of TV is complex and we are working through the many technologies and policies around the world to make live TV available where Xbox One is available.

www.xbox.com/.../meet-xbox-one

Broadband internet (ISP fees apply) and advanced TV hardware required.

NOTE: It USED to spell out that an HDMI-based cable box or receiver was required.  It now just says "advanced TV hardware" which doesn't sound like OTA or standard cable.

"They play like their mom just let them loose on a playground all high on mountain dew and skittles."

-MR FRAID
    • Level   1

Interesting, and thanks for that tid-bit of info and I would like to see it working with OTA

TV because after paying 80 bucks a month for the only Internet you can get living in the

Country In BFE lol after laying that high price a tv provider isn't a option plus I mostly watch

Tv shows over the Internet but would love to take full adavantage of watching tv on Xbox one

• Level   2

I'm following it too.  I live out in BFE and am using OTA.  

"They play like their mom just let them loose on a playground all high on mountain dew and skittles."

-MR FRAID
    • Level   3

I think what they mean by advanced T.V. hardware. Is that we will need  a 1080p T.V. or higher. As they never say that next gen. consoles will support 720p. And for the fees thing I hope that's referring to are cable or satellite providers fees for their junk....

"Don't be so eager to deal out death and judgment. Even the wises can not see all ends..."
    • Level   5

From what they've said, no, you won't be able to.

*** I see stars! ***

• Level   4

Dark----Coax is a digital input for sound.

-----People that look in one direction are those that miss out on most things in life-----

• Level   1

I've been hearing the hdmi will change for xbox one?

• Level   5

mgzin66

Dark----Coax is a digital input for sound.

Not really. You're way off on that statement. It typically carries video (plus sound of course) and has potential for many other things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_cable

*** I see stars! ***

• Level   4

@ Lesta---in the sense for AV equipment is was /is used for digital audio. No apology needed.

www.cablewholesale.com/.../product-10r4-11103.php

-----People that look in one direction are those that miss out on most things in life-----