Should I upgrade to a 120Hz TV for the Xbox One ?

• Level   2

i currently have a 47" LED HDTV that runs at 60Hz, should I upgrade to 120Hz?

I know 60FPS will be the majority of games, but do you think it would be wise to upgrade? 

• Level   2

hz won't make a difference for consoles as long as it's at or above 60.

Best free game of the month: Saints Row: The Third.

• Level   2

I know 60, what I'm asking is if I should go 120 instead...

60 FPS for 60 Hz, will the X1 or PS4 reach 120 FPS?

• Level   2

no because it's a waste we won't see more than 60fps on consoles.  we don't even see 60fps much on this gen.

Best free game of the month: Saints Row: The Third.

• Level   3

If you are getting a tv I'd say no. From what I understand, many 120hz tvs only accept a 60hz input and double the frames. This means you wont see any real improvement as the console will think its connected to a 60hz screen. Plus any smoothing effects will create huge latency and can be pretty bad for a game. You could search out a tv or large pc monitor that accepts the native input but I highly doubt we will see any 120hz games that aren't pretty simple. They will most likely be pushing for 1080p with maybe 60fps and focus the rest of the power on effects and other graphical areas.

That said the panel in a 120hz tv has the potential to be better due to faster refresh, therefore less ghosting. It could also benefit any non gaming activities the One wants to push for if you enable smoothing. In my experience though, it can have issues, especially if we see a rise of 30fps games again. I recently had to decide between a 60hz and a 120hz PC monitor for my consoles, and the 120hz had a strange slow motion effect that I guessed was from having to show a frame upwards of four times, but that's just a guess.

My advice (TL;DR): Just stick with a good 60hz tv or monitor and wait until we see any 120hz capable games. I highly doubt we will see any, and unless you plan to use it for other purposes, it might be a waste of money.

Assassins Creed 2 1000/1000

On 01/11/11 I looked up and noticed my gamerscore was 33330. Should I be scared?

• Level   7

I certainly Don't see any need to upgrade your set if you're happy with it. The specs seem more than adequate for the coming generation. As others have said.. I don't think we will see stuff stuff in 120htz and asking the TV to create those missing frames is usually a bad idea. It works OK for TV because its just a passive experience.. But as we know, gaming is not and anything that causes lag or judder..is a gamers worst enemy!

That's kinda why a lot of these sets have the 'Game' setting which disables most of that stuff. The only thing I really look for apart from What's already stated.. Is the sets measured input lag. Measured in milliseconds. A lot of the newer fancy TV's can vary enormously in that area and really kill the feel. One thing that was always great about the old CRT sets, was that they had virtually no lag at all!.. But man weren't those buggers heavy?!

Preorder cancelled, then ordered and then cancelled again...
    • Level   8

My TV has a 200Htz mode.

I've found it causes graininess and jittery pixels on video games so I turned it off.

Best to use whatever refresh rate is supported by the xbox and that is 60htz mode

• Level   5

Why stop at 120?go for 240!

• Level   5

Randomfrankp
    i currently have a 47" LED HDTV that runs at 60Hz, should I upgrade to 120Hz?

Why, did you find a TV that will accept 120hz input?

Most TVs only take up to 60hz input for a 1080p signal. The higher "hz" numbers refer to refresh rate on the TV. Usually that's accompanied by some sort of frame interpolation system that introduces latency. For gaming, all of those features should be disabled anyway.

Unless you don't like the response time on your existing LED LCD or it has horrible input lag, I wouldn't change it.

• Level   5

SillyCar88993

Why stop at 120?go for 240!

I think tv's go up to a 1000hz now.  

• Level   2

People, i dont care if there's 1000,240, anything Hz, I'm asking if i should upgrade to 120 Hz for the next gen consoles.

• Level   2

Because gaming is only 60....read the post.

• Level   2

Randomfrankp
    People, i dont care if there's 1000,240, anything Hz, I'm asking if i should upgrade to 120 Hz for the next gen consoles.

Again, have you found a TV that accepts 120hz as an input?

The "hz" rating on a TV doesn't have anything to do with the performance of a TV for gaming purposes. The output of most devices is limited to 60hz for 1080p. The input on most TVs is limited to  max of 60hz for 1080p signals.

Also, the framerate of a game has little to do with the output signal on a device. I have my gaming PC hooked to my TV. While the FPS counter may say 120+, because the TV only accepts a 60hz signal my video card only outputs its frame buffer once every 1/60th of a second.

• Level   7

By the way it sounds Random, I would think that at this point there is no need.  Good question by the way.  The above explains some of the things I have seen on my TV.  I was thinking about going to plasma.  Better quality picture, lesser expensive price for the size and they operate at around 600hz I believe.  Only drawback, they don't last as long as I understand it.  Guess I won't now-lol.

• Level   5

i myself am getting a 1080p at 120hz. i think this is fine. the bigger tv you go i would say the higher the hz. i usually just stick with 42" tv's.