8+ feet? My living room is too small for Kinect. How about you?

• Level   3

Now that I don't have to ever be online, I am open to being a 2-console + PC gamer again next generation for the third generation in a row [I still have my PS2/Xbox and PS3/360]. I don't really even mind the connect because being offline means I don't have to be concerned with any privacy issues with Kinect. BUT... there is another issue and that is that I don't have 8 feet of distance between where I have my home entertainment center and couch. My whole living room is just 10ft square. So the way I see it, the forced inclusion of Kinect is just a waste of money. I would say that Microsoft should be increasing the capabilities of the Kinect to have it work well from a distance of 4 feet, but standing 4-5 feet from a relatively large [46"] HDTV is not that great as it concerns the visual fidelity.

The fact is that I really have no ability to use the Kinect for gaming and the added cost from it seems an unnecessary waste of my money. If there was a Kinect-less Xbox1, I could find more reason to buy it sooner. How many others have this issue of not enough space for Kinect?

• Level   7

i had max of 6 feet with kinect v1 and I could use it fine.

Apparently Kinect v2 has more vision than the v1 so it should be easier to work.

• Level   7

For the new kinect its 4 foot 7 for single player don't remember exact for multiplayer but over 6 feet

• Level   5

I believe it can work with a minimum of 4 feet now. Has a much wider view.

• Level   5

Yeah, what above poster said 4 ft 7 in.

• Level   9

main issue lies with it being corded...   might have to re arrange some stuff for it to fit... not sure how long the cord will be

• Level   3

WalkingIrish42

Yeah, what above poster said 4 ft 7 in.

It still feels too close to the screen at that distance.

• Level   6

From MS reserve now info link

-

Recommended Minimum Play Space:

Single player about 4 ft. 7 in. (1.4 m) from sensor. Two players about 6 ft. (1.8m) from sensor. Play space will vary by game, application, sensor placement, and other factors.

• Level   6

@greatsquare that's minimum distance, you don't have to be 1.4 metres from it. The old kinect works fine in my Daughters 4 metre living room. wider angle means it should see all the room not just part of it

• Level   8

thegreatsquare

Now that I don't have to ever be online, I am open to being a 2-console + PC gamer again next generation for the third generation in a row [I still have my PS2/Xbox and PS3/360]. I don't really even mind the connect because being offline means I don't have to be concerned with any privacy issues with Kinect. BUT... there is another issue and that is that I don't have 8 feet of distance between where I have my home entertainment center and couch. My whole living room is just 10ft square. So the way I see it, the forced inclusion of Kinect is just a waste of money. I would say that Microsoft should be increasing the capabilities of the Kinect to have it work well from a distance of 4 feet, but standing 4-5 feet from a relatively large [46"] HDTV is not that great as it concerns the visual fidelity.

The fact is that I really have no ability to use the Kinect for gaming and the added cost from it seems an unnecessary waste of my money. If there was a Kinect-less Xbox1, I could find more reason to buy it sooner. How many others have this issue of not enough space for Kinect?

Do you play kinect games? If not then its not really an issue.

of course you for get about all the other advantages of Kinect that has nothing to do with games.

the minds eye can be deceving. and what you thought you saw could be nothing more than shadows of nothing after all. ~svs~
    • Level   5

I dont know anyone who games in their living room, my room has enough space but i'm not going to change my TV's orientation or my seat to play a kinect game.

• Level   8

I sit only a few feet from my gaming TV in a small room, I can't even play wii games properly. But I don't care anymore about Kinect. It just won't work too well with my gaming space.

• Level   5

The kinect has a wider field of view, so you can actually be closer to the TV than you could before.

From the kinect 2.0 presentation thingy reveal the guys walked super close to the TV and it could stil see his body so, you don't have to be that far way now.  but yeah 4 ft is the recommended

• Level   5

My TV sits on a bookshelf with the Kinect on top of it. In front of that is my bed (flush with the shelves), which is about 4 ft. wide. Beyond that is about 7 ft. of open space. This setup sounds perfect for the new Kinect if I simply replace the old 1 with it.

• Level   2

The new Kinnect is much smarter and works much better in smaller rooms.

The main room a play in (Study) I am only 1-2 feet away from the TV. So will be interesting to see if the Kinnecs work from the close.