do you guys really think that xbox will make kinect will be optional

• Level   2

they already took the drm off

• Level   1

Well MS have not really explained why it needs to be on all the time.... It has raised alot of privacy concerns, something thats always listening has huge potential to intrude, even to the point of pushed adverts (leaving the NSA aside). Many parents will be concerned when it comes to making a purchasing decision especially with a peripheral which they cannot absolutely control i.e. switch off completely. This may negatively impact the Christmas sales... So I see 2 possible outcomes.

1. They push forward with the current strategy; take the hit on the sales.. and prove us all wrong about Kinect

2. They modify the system to allow the system to operate without Kinect attached (but keep it bundled)

I don't think they will completely remove Kinect, I think it may have some interesting uses for some games.. but not many. As MS is a public company and its directors are required to create shareholder value, So anything that could negatively impact its long term sales, thus share price will need to be addressed. MS need us as consumers to buy into the whole XBONE story and with stiff competition from Sony, they will need to grab as many consumers from day one or they will end up trailing behind Sony playing catchup.

I am sure in the coming months MS will clarify the whole Kinect situation... But they should address it sooner rather and later..

• Level   5

it has been said a million times... on every website possible... YOU CAN TURN IT OFF! do you guys read or even listen anymore?

• Level   5

Tbh I can't see them making it optional. They have put to much cash into it over the last few years and they are determined make it successful.

Thing is, If they'd of just asked the community before they started developing the thing they could of saved themselves a lot of time effort and cash because the majority would of told them not to bother.

• Level   6

So we have Privacy concerns.

Innovation concerns

Technological concerns 

A near total armed forces boycott of the unit

Multiple countries investigating potentially banning its sale.

I'd say Ms would be wise to look at how much they really think it's needed for the consoles operation. I'm not expecting them to remove it from sales with the console , I entirely expect when you buy a console you'll have no choice but to buy the Kinect bundled with it. I do think Microsoft will have to relent and give people the option to have it connected or no though.

tohellnbak

it has been said a million times... on every website possible... YOU CAN TURN IT OFF! do you guys read or even listen anymore?

So how many times did you make a call while your mobile phone was off ? How many times did you browse the internet with your computer switched off ? 

So how come while off, most reports have stated it will still listen for commands such as Xbox off and still function. I don't know many things which when turned off will still function that way.

• Level   2

No. they will not.  

It's pretty clear (to those that have a clue) that voice control and Kinect integration in every game and the unit itself is what the Xbox One is all about. Take it away and Xbox One becomes a last gen 360 with updated hardware.  Every Piece of hardware we buy now, from TV's to Cell Phones comes with voice activation and a camera.  

This is what Next Gen technology is all about whether or not some people realize it or not.  Try asking for Samsung or Apple to make a Galaxy or Iphone without voice recognition or a camera just for you because YOU don't think it's necessary. It aint gonna happen.  

As Ive said hundreds of times go play SKYRIM with Kinect and you will see the possibilities EVERY game could have because every developer who makes games for xbox one can do so with the knowledge that every xbox one will have Kinect, therefore it will be better supported and implemented in Xbox One games.

• Level   4

They have said that you can even turn off the feature where it listens for that one command, so that would be turning it off completely. But that being said, I do understand that people don't like the idea of having it plugged in all the time, but I don't think MS is going to budge about not bundling it with the X1.

• Level   5

@BOBBY digital, Exactly... Kinect does not need to be removed.

Destiny (9/9/14)

Batman Arkham Knight (TBA)

Evolve (10/21/14)

Sunset Overdrive (10/28/14)

Quantum Break (Most Anticipated)

MAYBE: Alien Isolation (10/7/14)

• Level   2

watch?v=5UQxz3RknLo

watch?v=0Qk5TljuJtE

watch?v=MpTwHzEE2eE

• Level   6

BOBBY digital31

No. they will not.  

It's pretty clear (to those that have a clue) that voice control and Kinect integration in every game and the unit itself is what the Xbox One is all about. Take it away and Xbox One becomes a last gen 360 with updated hardware.  Every Piece of hardware we buy now, from TV's to Cell Phones comes with voice activation and a camera.

So how many people bought one of these ?

viJOsrf.png

I'm not sure many would have done, now how many owned one of these

NRObnR8.png 

Probably far more.

Here's the problem with going "its the future, its visionary technology" well its not there yet, it only provides minor practicality for major potential issues. Just like the old school mobile phone in the top picture, sure it was a portable phone but its battery life was pretty poor the reception wasn't great and you had to carry that big battery round with you if you owned it. This is how people see kinect a present, little gain for potentially far more inconvenience. 

BOBBY digital31

This is what Next Gen technology is all about whether or not some people realize it or not.  Try asking for Samsung or Apple to make a Galaxy or Iphone without voice recognition or a camera just for you because YOU don't think it's necessary. It aint gonna happen.  

You know some companies have been making cheaper phones designed to be more disposable without cameras in some cases, the idea being to let you have a phone that matters less if you lose it.

BOBBY digital31

As Ive said hundreds of times go play SKYRIM with Kinect and you will see the possibilities EVERY game could have because every developer who makes games for xbox one can do so with the knowledge that every xbox one will have Kinect, therefore it will be better supported and implemented in Xbox One games.

Every Xbox doesn't need the kinect connected though to do this, just to know kinect was supplied in the box. also the skyrim example, why couldn't it simply have been done with a regular microphone its all voice commands so claiming that it validates the usefulness of a 3D camera is a little weird to say the least.

• Level   M

Lawful Violator
    Well MS have not really explained why it needs to be on all the time....

Probably because they have consistently said that it does not need to be on all the time?

Xbox.com
    If you don’t want the Kinect sensor on while playing games or enjoying your entertainment, you can pause Kinect. To turn off your Xbox One, just say “Xbox Off.” When the system is off, it’s only listening for the single voice command -- “Xbox On,” and you can even turn that feature off too. Some apps and games may require Kinect functionality to operate, so you’ll need to turn it back on for these experiences. (June 6, Link)

Phil Spencer, VP MS Game Studios
    You definitely will have the software capability to turn off all the capabilities of Kinect. We want to put the gamer in control. (May 22, Link)

Seriously, please stop with the misinformation.

Xbox.com Forum Moderator - This post provided as-is, with no warranty and confers no rights.

• Level   4

boid

Lawful Violator
    Well MS have not really explained why it needs to be on all the time....

Probably because they have consistently said that it does not need to be on all the time?

Xbox.com
    If you don’t want the Kinect sensor on while playing games or enjoying your entertainment, you can pause Kinect. To turn off your Xbox One, just say “Xbox Off.” When the system is off, it’s only listening for the single voice command -- “Xbox On,” and you can even turn that feature off too. Some apps and games may require Kinect functionality to operate, so you’ll need to turn it back on for these experiences. (June 6, Link)

Phil Spencer, VP MS Game Studios
    You definitely will have the software capability to turn off all the capabilities of Kinect. We want to put the gamer in control. (May 22, Link)

Seriously, please stop with the misinformation.

Goes for you too, Moderator.

• Level   3

I've been trying to find more info, but its not easy to find. It seems likely that kinect even when features are off has some link to the controller.

-

It can when on tell when controller is passed to another person according to MS. So controller may sync to kinect even when kinect features are turned off. This would explain why you can't unplug it, because your controller would stop working too.

• Level   6

dpoet
    It can when on tell when controller is passed to another person according to MS.

If it's enabled it can. If it's disabled it can't see/hear anything, just like your cellphone's camera and microphone.

• Level   3

Doesn't need to be removed, you can turn it off.

Personally, I like Kinect.

Looking to track your achievements, join gaming sessions, and hunt for achievements?

CLICK HERE to join TA now!