HDMI Pass-through Question

• Level   8

Ok, so by now everyone on this forum should know about the Xbox One feature that allows you to connect your compatible HDTV cable/satellite box to the console in order to access channels with Kinect voice/move gestures and "snap" mode.  I myself am not very tech savy so I have a rather simple question about how to connect the two devices.  So, my HDTV cable box has only 1 HDMI slot and it is currently connected to my HDTV so that I can watch HD cable TV.  To access the added features of the Xbox One would I need to disconnect my cable box from the TV and into the console or does the cable box need to have 2 HDMI slots to access these features?  Thanks in advance!

• Level   7

You will plug your cable box into the hdmi input on the xbox one then the xbox one into your hdmi on your tv

https://twitter.com/stevenhubbard13 follow for free cod ghost promo codes from monster energy

• Level   7

The way OTT0 explained is the correct way. Remember though that your going to need 2 HDMI cables.

• Level   8

I have currently have 1 HDMI cable and my Day One edition Xbox One should come with a second so I'm good.

• Level   6

Yes the xbox on comes with an Hdmi cable I checked last week with xbox support

• Level   5

sounds awesome. i was talking to direct tv and cox who is our provider here in az and they said now that you can download a simple apps for devices with direct tv you won't need the box to connect into your xbox one and they are already working on something similar to fios and xfinity to just allow streaming to xbox one so you have live tv internet stream. cox said this will be available too. he was telling me just download the app and sign in via user name to you account and instant live streaming tv without the box. with xbox one providers like this tech it sounds like and soon we'll get the tv right out of the box. i know fios, xfinity, and time warner are already there. now lets get the rest there too. lol. i can't wait to play around with this feature to see how it works though. let me know if this sounds on point.

• Level   9

they only problem with the direct tv app if it's anything like the current tablet and phone apps is only certain channels will be available for live streaming.

XBOX ONE DAY ONE EDITION 

• Level   6

To take full advantage the cable/ TV box will need to be HDMI CEC. This will give Xbox One the ability to change channels via the Xbox One TV guide. If not CEC you will have to use TV box remote to change channels.

• Level   7

dpoet

To take full advantage the cable/ TV box will need to be HDMI CEC. This will give Xbox One the ability to change channels via the Xbox One TV guide. If not CEC you will have to use TV box remote to change channels.

No,  if not you will have to connect the infrared blaster to the set top box.  This will allow your xbox to work as the remote control.  I used to do the same thing with my media center.  If you look on the back of the Xbox One you will see a port labeled IR, that's how I know.

• Level   7

You need a cable box,(maybe not) if you can use wireless cuz of the new partnerships, and connect HDMI cable to XB1 to TV via HDMI. Don't worry about it, it's pretty self explanatory when you get it...

• Level   6

My bad, I didn't know XB1 had a IR socket. It just seemed some people expected to just plug in TV/sat box, and xb1 would control it via HDMI, which it will if it is CEC. I know some friends in UK use TV with built in Freeview tuner, and are going to buy external Freeview/ Freesat receiver for xbox1.  Post was Just a heads up really, look for one that is CEC and it should work OK. I think Sky+ HD receiver is CEC, but Sky+ receiver is not. It doesn't matter as much if XB1 has IR socket.

• Level   9

Sky won't work until 2014 will it? European tv support comes later (I think) I'm looking forward to plugging it into my SkyHD box

• Level   6

Dunno about Sky, I use a freeview HD dongle in my laptop and watch on 360, media centre gets tv guide via web and puts it on xbox, channel changes, scheduling recordings, supported from 360.  

So I would be very surprised if Freeview wasn't supported on XB1. It would be a step backwards if it didn't. MS has been supporting TV on xbox via media extender for quite a while. They may drop the media extender but supported tv receivers should still be supported. I have a Samsung freeview DVR, with HDMI CEC (anynet+) so it should work ok.

• Level   3

I just feel that the TV side of the Xbox one is a gimmick it would have to be simply amazing to stop using what i have in place already, i wanted a gaming console and got a jack of all trades (master of none).  I love Xbox and i am excited to be getting the new one but i know ill be wasting all this TV stuff.  I just hope it games well because after all that's why I'm buying it.

I'm gonna wait till its been you tubed to death  before parting with my cash i just hope that Microsoft were awful at the PR and that they have a product equal to the ps4 at least.

• Level   3

AccyJr

Yes the xbox on comes with an Hdmi cable I checked last week with xbox support

why did you contact Xbox Support when all the sites have reported that a HDMI cable is included?

Xbox One Day One

So excited MS bought the Gears of War franchise and gave it back to Rod.