Why make the Kinect 2.0 Mandatory?

• Level   1

If Kinect 2 was optional:

It would be $100-$200 cheaper to buy.

People who want Kinect 2 can always get one.

No worries over privacy issues.

The are NO launch titles which have features which seem to need Kinect 2 (nobody has come forward with anything yet you couldn't just as easily do on a normal controller).

Indeed I have not seen ONE Kinect 2 exclusive title yet.

So why not just make a new SKU?:
    Xbox One (Core): $375 - Console, Controller, Headset

Xbox One (Premium: $500 - Console, KInect 2, Controller

Everyone happy !

Nobody has yet managed to explain why anyone would actually NEED Kinect 2 and not just the normal controller to do anything with Xbox One so why not make it optional?!?

• Level   8

This has already been answered. So the short story, because they made it so.

"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening. His ilk serves no role in what is to come."

• Level   5

Older than my grandmother..

The scariest words in the English language are: “Hello, we’re from the government, and we’re here to help.”

XBOX ONE DAY ONE EDITION 

• Level   8

Only reason I can see why they are focing it upon everyone is that they are trying to get their money back from this failed device.

Xbox One Day One

Destiny Titan level 28 looking for some people to play Strikes with and then Raids. Send FR and message so I know what the FR is for.

• Level   1

XxxDarkheartxxX

If Kinect 2 was optional:

It would be $100-$200 cheaper to buy.

People who want Kinect 2 can always get one.

No worries over privacy issues.

The are NO launch titles which have features which seem to need Kinect 2 (nobody has come forward with anything yet you couldn't just as easily do on a normal controller).

Indeed I have not seen ONE Kinect 2 exclusive title yet.

So why not just make a new SKU?:
    Xbox One (Core): $375 - Console, Controller, Headset

Xbox One (Premium: $500 - Console, KInect 2, Controller

Everyone happy !

Nobody has yet managed to explain why anyone would actually NEED Kinect 2 and not just the normal controller to do anything with Xbox One so why not make it optional?!?

For users, Kinect offers new ways to integrate with the system and Xbox Live above and beyond just using a controller. It offers new ways to recognise and interact with the users, with much more accuracy than the 360 Kinect. The user-identification features that Killer Instinct apparently features could just be the start of what could be possible.

For developers and publishers, Kinect will always be there. Without it, developers will be faced the question of whether to devote time and money for titles that can only be used by a portion of the user base. On the flip side, the fact that most titles won't be exclusive could mean that Kinect support (on those games) may be limited at best, unless Microsoft offer an incentive to those publishers.

For Microsoft, Kinect gives them several boons. One of these is advertising - Microsoft have applied for a patent that would allow Xbox One users to score achievements for watching specific videos or advertisements.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/xbox-one-has-advertising-and-kinect-on-its-mind-1164251

The benefit that Kinect2 offers for advertising and marketing efforts could be massive, and financially rewarding. Get enough data together, quality data that is gathered at the time rather than days or weeks after, and the data mining potential becomes staggering, even with the data anonymised. Smile at an advert? Kinect, if it can identify this as a 'smile', could record the fact that an advert received a positive response from a viewer. When you link this in with the push for TV integration, the potential for this side of things becomes a lot clearer. It could help the Xbox One pay for itself many months or years before it would otherwise do so.

You could say that there are more benefits for publishers, marketing and advertising concerns than there are for users.

I would prefer a Kinect-less SKU myself, or the choice of which SKU to go for, but I can't see it happening.

• Level   6

Lestat Phoenix

Older than my grandmother..

Can't be as old as my grandmother even though these threads are starting to feel like it lol, no offence intended OP!

It's been said time and time again, Microsoft want Kinect to work this time around, want more developers to make use of it, so from this point of view I totally understand it as developers know there's a Kinect with every Xbox One so their more likely to make use of it.

If you don't want Kinect, don't like it you really have a simple choice to make, no drama! Now this is not directed at the OP but I get the impression from some on the forums because they don't want it they automatically think others are the same! the fact is there's loads of people out there that do.

As I said I don't see the big drama with all this, we all have a choice.

Twitter:  @Loftywho

• Level   2

If every one automatically has a Kinect the developers are more likely to integrate it into their games. If the Kinect wasn't included then it will end up like the current gen Kinect which lets face it is a bit of a gimmick. My prediction is that we will see some very exciting stuff on the new Kinect whilst the playstation eye will be the equivalent of the Kinect 1.

• Level   1

If there are so many ways to intergrate Kinect into games why has not ONE single launch title done this?

How will I interact with Xbox live more ? TELL ME.

You think it is better Microsoft can capture more information about it's customers and sell that to marketing companies? What's in that for me? Why would I want to be better profiled by advertisers ?

If the Kinect gives so much and offers so many gaming options why isn't there a single title using these amazing features ?

It's fine saying "If you build it, they will come", but they built it and nobody is going to use it, but they want us all to pay for it ?

WTF?

• Level   4

Because heat vision jumping jacks are the future of console gaming.

Also infrared push ups and 1080p sit ups.

Xbox.com

Same 8 people.

Same 8 topics.

Never change.

• Level   6

XxxDarkheartxxX

If there are so many ways to intergrate Kinect into games why has not ONE single launch title done this?

How will I interact with Xbox live more ? TELL ME.

You think it is better Microsoft can capture more information about it's customers and sell that to marketing companies? What's in that for me? Why would I want to be better profiled by advertisers ?

If the Kinect gives so much and offers so many gaming options why isn't there a single title using these amazing features ?

It's fine saying "If you build it, they will come", but they built it and nobody is going to use it, but they want us all to pay for it ?

WTF?

Dead Rising 3 is a launch title unless I've misunderstood and that has Kinect features?

Battlefield 4 is out on or around launch and the same again for Kinect whilst I believe we are still waiting for other developers to make comments. 

But again it's the simple choice, don't like it, don't buy it. 

• Level   8

DR3 the zombies can hear your family making noise and they will come and eat you, sounds like so much fun!!

Xbox One Day One

Destiny Titan level 28 looking for some people to play Strikes with and then Raids. Send FR and message so I know what the FR is for.

• Level   6

Killer Instinct also out on launch.

How Killer Instinct uses Kinect to make local multiplayer fuss-free

Uses face recognition to auto-load button settings, fave characters

www.oxm.co.uk/.../how-killer-instinct-uses-kinect-to-make-local-multiplayer-fuss-free

• Level   4

@Lord

They can prob hear the audio coming from the tv of thier own zombie moans and track you down like bat sonar. Kinect is so cool right?

Xbox.com

Same 8 people.

Same 8 topics.

Never change.

• Level   3

They might if Kinect didn't block out background noise & pick up the fact you're holding the controller,  thus negating anyone else in the house who's speaking.

• Level   4

the mic's cancel out the digital output of the X1 which can be heard from the speakers so this would not be a problem, however family making noises would be a problem, until you turn it off that is, and then you could argue whats the need. I guess the point I am making is it probably would not be a feature if it was not part of the system. There are plenty of threads to argue about this if OP would like to search before posting.