Best AV receiver for XBox One

• Level   1

It seems with so much entertainment functionality, I won't need all the bells and whistles on my AV Receiver. Fine by me. I completely agree with the opinion that they're useless anyway: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57576681-221/how-to-save-the-av-receiver/

Let's assume I'll use my Xbox One for all the music, movies, and gaming in the house. The only other thing I'll need is the cable-box which can connect through. Will the cable box work with XboxOne off? That is, will the HDMI be a pass-through by default? And what about that surround 7.1 - is that coming out of the SPDIF? Will I need to ensure that I can decode that, or will a 5.1 suffice?

thanks,

matt

• Level   4

They are far from useless. Can they be streamlined, for sure. I am old school. I like my house to rattle when I am watching a movie, playing a game, or listening to music. There is no substitute to a good Amp or a receiver.

-

What are you planning on hooking your X1 to, the tv?

-----People that look in one direction are those that miss out on most things in life-----

• Level   1

My apologies. "Useless" was a bad word choice. Clearly I need an amplifier, and yes, I will be connecting to a video display. I just don't want all the other adjustments that come with an AV receiver (rather, I don't mind the adjustments but other in the home can never make sense of it).

So, my questions still stand?

1. Will the HDMI be a pass-through when the x1 is off?

2. Is 7.1 spdif  input simply routed down to 5.1 if not understood by the AV receiver?

• Level   4

1.Yes

2. Optical out is capable of 5.1 and 7.1.

3. Please define video display. Where is your audio source, separate speakers connected to a receiver or built into your display?

-----People that look in one direction are those that miss out on most things in life-----

• Level   3

mgzin66

They are far from useless. Can they be streamlined, for sure. I am old school. I like my house to rattle when I am watching a movie, playing a game, or listening to music. There is no substitute to a good Amp or a receiver.

-

What are you planning on hooking your X1 to, the tv?

Glad you said it!

I will second that for sure ,,wouldn't trade my Denon for anything

• Level   1

I guess by video display, I mean either a TV or computer monitor with a HDMI input. But, what's best for the xb1

if I'm always decoding the audio with an AV receiver&amp?, can I just use a big monitor? I suppose it better be able to handle the transients. I was thinking it'd be great to just leave it on all the time...like a computer monitor.

• Level   1

I see now why this is not much of a debate. The prices for monitors is triple the price of TVs. So, I should just get the big TV even if it's got speakers that I'll never use.

Any ideas on a TV that will go into low-energy stand-by when not receiving a signal? You know, like how a computer monitor will turn off the backlight, etc.

• Level   4

Dude...google is your friend. Learn to use it. Plenty of review sites out there. Go to your local stores and look at different tv's. What I think is good may not be for you.

• Level   5

1)  The only other thing I'll need is the cable-box which can connect through. Will the cable box work with XboxOne off?

Yes

2) And what about that surround 7.1 - is that coming out of the SPDIF

Yes

3) Will I need to ensure that I can decode that, or will a 5.1 suffice

Yes

ART | SCIENCE | INDUSTRY
    • Level   1

Alright then. Thanks for the advice. I will try this google you speak of.

All questions are answered. Back to your polls.

I'm just excited about reinventing my home theater with a new brain...trying to understand all the ins and outs.