new to series. do i need to play older ones to get this one?

• Level   4

was looking into this and maybe buying it but should i play the older ones in order to understand this becuase this is number 5 and idk if i would have time to play the older ones.

COD: WAW Status- http://www.callofduty.com/profile/2263062/stats/2533274815959425 Gamefrk2727
    • Level   4

Yes and no.

l

I would say NO, it's not necessary to play the previous games but YES, you do need to experience the story so far to get what's happening. Just go to YouTube and watch the cutscenes for each game or find a good plot synopsis video for the entire series.

l

The story is pretty convoluted and complex, but epically awesome. I can't imagine jumping into 3 with no prior knowledge of the story. Although 3 will likely start with a recap of the story so far, I would still recommend watching the cinematics online.

l

I just started Brotherhood myself, and it has been about a year or so since I played 2, so I had to watch some scenes on YouTube to bring me back up to speed. And I just pre-ordered 3 so I have some work to do over the next few weeks, but the story will be nice and fresh in my mind when I start 3.

I am the video word made flesh.

• Level   7

imo if you just played AC2 and Revelations you should be caught up with the series. if you really want to understand whats going on you can check out Youtube videos for Brotherhood and the first AC. i did that and have a good understanding about whats going on and can't wait for AC3!

When life sucks, I just enjoy the.....

• Level   7

^Follow the first two post and you will not be left out

These My Friends Are The Last Days Of Gaming

• Level   3

I only played the 1st and 2nd one since they strayed away from the trilogy, I've been waiting for the 3rd one for sooo long.

SF GIANTS 2010 & 2012 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

• Level   6

I would suggest playing them from AC1 to AC:Revelations before getting AC:3 as it would help with the story line and would let you get to know Desmond very well and they are great games to play. I should point out though that AC has been my favourite game series for a while now so I'm very biased :-)

• Level   7

^Why ?

These My Friends Are The Last Days Of Gaming

• Level   7

If you care about the Desmond storyline it would help.   I only played 1 and 2 so I don't know how much you miss nothing playing the other two, but they seem to give you a good sense of his story.

-

If you like me, however, and just care about the parts involving Connor and the Revolutionary War then it really doesn't matter if you know whats going on with Desmond's story.

• Level   4

You could play all, or as some say, check out youtube, but its more fun and you get a better understanding of the story by playing all the game and content etc..

I played all on my old GT, but on this one, I have only just played AC 2 and Brotherhood...    

If you are planning on getting Revelations, see can you get the Animus Ed, cheap.. it comes with the final moments of Ezios life, and also has the Encyclopedia of the Assassin World/Universe.

• Level   8

In all AC games so far there are two strorylines.  There is the story of Desmond, a modern day assassin and then there are the stories of his ancestors so far Altair, Ezio, and soon Connor.  If you do not really care about sci-fi or conspiracy theories I would say no, you do not have to play the other games in the series but if you really feel that you want to get the best experience possible then I advise you to at least play AC 1&2.   Watch ACB and ACR on youtube if you decide not to play those.

• Level   8

I would say you can easily catch up on the story leading up to AC3 by reading up on Wikipedia and watching cutscenes/Endings on Youtube

-

But to know the characters you are about to meet in AC3, then playing the earlier games is essential to get the most out of AC3, to know who Desmond is as a main character, to know the events that have led up to AC3, to meet, play as and really understand the characters of Altiar and Ezio to know how revisting his ancestors and living through their lives will give you a richer knowledge of the Assassin Creed Story, something I am now replaying before AC3 comes out

Yes I am a criminal. My Crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.

• Level   6

I am probably looking to get into this game as well, this game will have a new story to it wont it? I don't want to have to play the other ones before it. I couldn't really get into the first one

• Level   8

I would play the older ones if you have time.  It's not necessary but you wont be nearly as confused when you play AC3

Check out my channel!

http://www.youtube.com/Ky3217

https://twitter.com/Ky3217

• Level   8

All the AC games since 2 have included a quick update for you in the games intro so you are brought up to speed on whats happened before and whats happened to you as Desmond, not playing the earlier games wont harm your enjoyment of 3, but having played them will enhance it

Yes I am a criminal. My Crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.

• Level   3

If you don't want to play the older games, IGN has a good summary of the AC story so far:

watch?v=Rnfg1rDmNIw