EA Shutting Down BF3 Servers

• Level   5

I hadn't played BF3 in a while so yesterday I gave it a try again.  Lag, rubber banding, dropped connections.  Yes, just like Bad Company 2 and other EA titles.  It had worked fine through the holidays so this was new.  Our other games such as Halo and COD work fine and we routinely stream NetFlix, ESPN3, and YouTube without a problem. 

Last night it started working again for a while in prime time (US EST).  Tried again this morning and same problems.  I usually use the region filter so these problems are especially puzzling.  This morning the supposedly "southern US" servers all showed terrible ping.  I then expanded the filter to ALL regions.  Same low ping globally.  I then filtered only for overseas servers and...

...the same supposedly "Southern US" servers were still showing up!   Yes, filtering for servers OUTSIDE the US got many of the same servers as filtering for local servers only.

I also got an interesting error message a few times saying that my connection couldn't support BF3.  This is weird since it supported it in the past, continues to support other games and streaming services just fine, and worked with BF3 in prime time last night.

Likely explanation: EA is shutting down servers worldwide to reduce costs and "regional-ization" of the servers is no-more. 

Lesson: I'm done with EA games since you can't trust them.

• Level   4

Well thats weird, cause I can play on European and Asian servers just fine. Those P servers in the US aren't reliable, which is why I have my filters set to find European servers as well.

• Level   7

They are also going to charge you for DLC now with a COD ELITE-style system... at least that is what they hinted at. The day that happens ill be trading this trash in

c4mpin i5 4 c0w4rd5

• Level   4

Lession:  Don't expect what no one can deliver.  The other games you mentioned have issues too that you forgot to put in your post.  BF3 is run on dedicated servers in case you didn't know.  The security is higher then a P2P game like CoD.

• Level   7

I have yet to experience any amount of lag in this game. Maybe I am lucky.

When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. 

• Level   8

TheTurtleClub
    They are also going to charge you for DLC now with a COD ELITE-style system... at least that is what they hinted at. The day that happens ill be trading this trash in

That was just speculation i think,Not sure that will happen.Even if they did it,I doubt they would charge us for the services we already have on Battlelog,a premium version of BL was mentioned but they know if they tried to start charging us for the services we already have people would stop using it in the thousands,I would not pay for Battlelog!As for DLC i think we will have to pay for that as they have already said that they don't like to do map packs but they do expansion packs or something like that.I.E BC2 Vietnam and B2K,they class those as expansion packs rather than map packs so looks like we will have to pay for those,I would guess 1200MS points.

• Level   7

As long as the DLC is on the level of vietnam or better I will pay for it. But I will not pay for COD-style rehashes i.e. B2K

c4mpin i5 4 c0w4rd5

• Level   8

I like B2K,Better than most of the vanilla maps but i agree,Nam was a much better DLC,I would like something of that quality.

• Level   9

the Vietnam expansion was cool man......its HC was the best FPS gaming experience I ever had.....didn't even mind the choppers, those actually took a little talent to keep aloft....unlike BF3 where you get to safely rey on your cloaking device and deflector shields

"I was driving along one time and saw a hitchhiker holding a sign that read "HEAVEN" ...so I hit him"

-S. Wright

• Level   8

I loved Nam except for Hill 137,It was just ok imo,Music was cool and most of the maps were good though in conquest.Choppers were made of cardboard,I could take em down with an LMG.They did require more skill to keep up defo.

• Level   2

I was having a lot of problems geting onto servers for a long time. Then I checked tha official BF3 website and found that many people are having problems with thier wireles routers alloowing acess to certain ports. There was an excellent tutorial on how to fix this and I followed it. Haven't had a problem since. If your running through a router you may want to check this out.

• Level   8

Loved Vietnam, I had two games in a row on Operation Hastings where I went around 35-0 in the Huey, probably the most fun I've ever had on a video game. It had the same problem as the base game of BC2 though. The maps were meh, except the one remake, Hastings. In my opinion.

-

I disagree about the map rehashings though, DICE changes the design enough from previous games and the games themselves feel entirely different from one to another with a new engine every installment. Plus I just have a feeling game designers completely forgot how to make good maps. The best maps in BC2 and BF3 are all the ones based off of maps from earlier games. I would almost rather them just remake old games than have all mediocre-bad maps.

• Level   8

there is absolutely no evidence of this happening outside the OPs opinion.  

• Level   9

chill dude....turtle only plays when his friends are.....because they/we rarely play anything else...the occasional L4D maybe....if it weren't for us he wouldn't play at all

"I was driving along one time and saw a hitchhiker holding a sign that read "HEAVEN" ...so I hit him"

-S. Wright

• Level   3

So what's the alternative?

John Lacher (PIknows)

Solana Beach, California