connections and internet speeds

• Level   3

I guess im just confused,  I pay for a great connection 40mb download and 20mb upload.  I play with a group of people in Ohio, and I am in Arizona.  With the speeds I am getting why do I always have a 3 bar connection?  I know on those speed test sites I get  37d and 17u.  Shouldn't I get close to 4 bars?  My ping is at 75.  All wire connection to the xbox.  I love playing Blops, but the connection issues suck.  What is the deal.  Where are the servers located?  Oh yeah, all necessary ports open, and every now and then to change it up I put the xbox in the DMZ, or outside of the DMZ.  Please help.........

• Level   8

Pretty sure the lower your ping is the better

Former Soldier in the United States Army. Rank at time of medical discharge, SFC (Sergeant First Class)

Defiance Xbox 360 NA servers

• Level   8

Youll probably 4 bar if you play alone/solo? Maybe get friends that are geographically closer to you. Itll help for sure.

• Level   9

Its because you are from arizona playing people in ohio.  75 ping would be about average for that, and 75 ms is somewhere equivalent to 3 bars...... and well 3 bars is as close to 4 bars as you can get without having 4 bars.

The game is hosted on other players consoles. So in this case the "server" is most likely in ohio.  .... or it could be anywhere depending on where the enemy team is from.

If you are the only one from arizona, and all your friends are from ohio, you may even be matching up with people farther away

• Level   3

The lower the ping the better yes,  but 75 is still less then a second. 1 second = 100 ping.  Is the 3/4 of a second for Xbox a matter of a full bar?

• Level   3

I wouldnt worry about the numbers so much. Play with people closer to you or adjust your playstyle when pairing with guys in Ohio.

• Level   3

See and that's the issue all my buddies are there. Hard to find new players around here due to annoying kids and everyone in a party. I would love to play in a clan or in a group that was from around here just hard when you have been playing with the same group since CoD4 MW.  Does anyone live close to here that plays like a team and can work together to win.  I play to have fun but I definitely don't like to lose.

Would a faster connection help. If let's say I went to an 80d 40u connection or would it be the same issue???

• Level   7

My connection dropped from a 40mb to 12mb plan...  my games got better.

gee...  go figure.

-Purist

• Level   3

Play style is hard to adjust to.. I try to stay in a spot for bottle necking, but with all the ways into a room and them being able to run around I get it in the back.  If I can get another to camp its OK just seems to take more bullets. Any suggestions?

• Level   3

See I was wondering if that could be it too, lower my speed to see if the worst connection gets host or help due to speed latency.  My luck it would just make me a red bar .  No thanks I'll take 3 over red any day!!!

• Level   3

Keep your connections, lose the friends across country. Its very easy to play COD solo and get picked up by a team or person or two and go from there. The key is play several games and see whom you get 4 barred with constantly and thats who you wanna game with.

• Level   7

My connection used to fluctuate between 3/4 bar... and it still does!

once or twice I had GREAT games on my 40mb plan. Checked... my connection was a 2 bar.

make of that what you will.

as for strategies...  If you have a decent connection the best thing is to keep moving after every kill.  Don't stay in one spot, or you'll get stumbled upon.  Really lame for games of domination.

if your connection is bad....  there's just not much you can do. The maps are so small there are no low traffic areas for you to duck into and hope to find a stray to pick off.  Shock charges, bouncing betties, and use them as doorbells to let you know when someone is coming. You'll probably get a 50/50 chance of scoring a kill (better than 10/90) .

-Purist

• Level   5

So I should just ditch my friends I've been playing with since WaW because they live all across the US and in the UK? No thanks. I value my friendship with them more than my connection when playing with them.

• Level   5

With the lag comp do not forget that it is trying to make everyone play as fast as the slowest connection. What ever your ping is when you run your connection test that is only from one ISP to the other and has no relevance to the ping in between the people you are playing. If they took ut the lag comp it would clean up alot of this.

Be like water - Bruce Lee

• Level   8

Sucks for me. My basic service on fios is like 40/8 and on my good days I can reach a 50/5 day and my ping is always  a 5. This lag comp is complete MARLARCHY! lol... Seriously I am upset.

BenQ monitor gaming. USA! USA! USA!