NAT

• Level   7

Ok, I know this is kinda weird, but how do I change my NAT from open to moderate.  Yes you read that correct.  The last couple days my NAT has been fluctuating from open to moderate and it seems I have a better connection when it says moderate.  This morning it was moderate and It played perfectly.  Then this afternoon it changed on its own to open and I couldn't buy a kill.  So I just wanted to know if anyone knew how to do this.  I looked it up but its always moderate to open.  I'm not even sure changing it will help with this game, but it wouldn't hurt to try and see.  Thanks

In online gaming, skill depends on your connection quality

• Level   5

Check this ATVI Support thread out:

http://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Lag-Occurs-in-Multiplayer-Game

• Level   7

After reading that, it looks like it was telling me how to change my NAT from moderate to open.  I just want to test a theory really.  The last few days this game has been great on a moderate NAT but horrible on an open one.  just want to know if it's possible and how to change from open to moderate.  Thanks for the info tho.

• Level   9

I'm the opposite.  I do terrible when my nat says moderate and dominate when its open.  Sometimes I think its related to how many people are online playing this game.  When the population is high I get moderate, when its low then open.  Its kind of like they didn't make enough servers to handle all the people playing this game, kind of like older cods.  this has been going on since waw!  I can put money on it that when the population goes down to about 150k, then the game will play great.  

We are entering a new era of gaming!  Bring forth the One!

• Level   3

I have not noticed any difference, but my k/d and spm is so erratic I wouldn't. Interested to see what you come up with.

• Level   3

Machete160, based on what others have said on these forums, your NAT is fine. It just bounces back & fourth during peak times when there are more players online. That is to say, if there's not many people on BO2, your NAT will say open, but if there's a whole lot, it will say moderate. If your connection is better when it says moderate, than open is probably because youe pulled host & suffering are suffering from lag comp, not actual lag.

• Level   3

Opening your NAT will NOT help in game lag per se. It will help in joining people in parties and such, but in game play isnt effected by it.

• Level   9

With a moderate nat, you probably wouldnt be picked as host. That might be all the difference.

I personally dont have a terrible time hosting, but it does seem it may be worse than when I'm not. Some insist hosting is a terrible disadvantage, others claim it gives an edge, so idk.

• Level   6

UneasyJmitchell

Opening your NAT will NOT help in game lag per se. It will help in joining people in parties and such, but in game play isnt effected by it.

This.

MLG & GB,good for gaming?!?! Not in this lifetime or the next. Great videogames are what's good for gaming, not MLG and GB.

• Level   7

Spud 72

UneasyJmitchell

This.

This is what I thought but wasn't sure.  It was probably just a coincidence that I didn't have any problems or lag when my NAT was moderate.  Oh well, was just wondering if anyone else noticed that their gameplay was any better when their NAT changed.  Thanks. 

• Level   7

Galactic Geek
    That is to say, if there's not many people on BO2, your NAT will say open, but if there's a whole lot, it will say moderate.

See, this is where it's opposite.  In the morning my NAT says moderate when there is 150K on line.  But in the afternoon it says open when there is 450k on.  WTF.

So after playing this morning on moderate and having no lag or any issues what so ever, and then playing this afternoon and having hit marker after hit marker, I have come to my own conclusion and feel that if my NAT was always moderate i would enjoy this game better.  I would like to know why my NAT is going from open to moderate and back to open again every day in the first place. This just started a week ago. This game is just backwards.  Better connection I have, the worse I play.  Worse connection, better I play.

• Level   9

Machete160
    .  I would like to know why my NAT is going from open to moderate and back to open again every day in the first place.

Thats a good question. I hear a lot of people say that it happens to them.

I never have anything but open, but I assume thats becasue I dont use a router for my xbox.   If you wanted help keeping your nat open, that may be the answer, but I dont know how you'd make it moderate if it keeps changing. You could try upping the security on your router, basiaclly just reversing the steps it tells you to make it open. But then if you wind up strict you may not be able to get in a match at all.

• Level   9
    a tired old guy

Machete160
    .  I would like to know why my NAT is going from open to moderate and back to open again every day in the first place.

Thats a good question. I hear a lot of people say that it happens to them.

I never have anything but open, but I assume thats becasue I dont use a router for my xbox.   If you wanted help keeping your nat open, that may be the answer, but I dont know how you'd make it moderate if it keeps changing. You could try upping the security on your router, basiaclly just reversing the steps it tells you to make it open. But then if you wind up strict you may not be able to get in a match at all.

My NAT has been OPEN for the last 8 years, but since buying an ipad i have found that i randomly get a Moderate NAT, but if i sign out and back in again it goes back to OPEN, it's only started happening since Christmas, so i have not had the inclination to look further into it yet, but once i can be bothered i intend to find out the exact cause of it, if i do i will be sure to post back here...

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king!

• Level   6

Not all Isp's use static Ips's or your routers haven't got certain ports added these are some reasons for Moderate NAT's.

-

howto.wired.com/.../Set_Up_Port_Forwarding_on_Your_Xbox_360

-

That's a good tut and has the extra ports listed.

Icyironside "look at the kill cam it has a red arrow above your guy now watch people track you through walls" Fail of the year! lmao

• Level   5

If you do get a moderate or strict NAT go out and run the network test and it usually fixes it. Run this test from the actual console.

Be like water - Bruce Lee