Give me a choice: Cheats or Achievements.

• Level   3

Why is it that developers think that gamers like achievements so much that they take cheats out?  Why not give us a choice?  One of the things I loved about the original Doom games (and the XBOX version) was the cheat codes.  Specifically God mode.  Now, they've taken out the cheats (even for Doom 1 and 2 games) because of achievements. 

I'd take not having any to use God mode.  This game went from being a must buy to an I don't know for me.

• Level   8

i rather play without god mode. games get boring to me if i can just blow through them with god mode.

THE IMMORTAL D is currently waiting for DESTINY

• Level   3

THE IMMORTAL D

i rather play without god mode. games get boring to me if i can just blow through them with god mode.

That's fine you'd rather play that way.  I just think people who like the cheats should have a choice.

• Level   3

THE IMMORTAL D

I agree I would rather play the game with a challenge instead of just cheating my way through it with cheat codes on.  Or disable the achievements when the cheats are on like most games do.

• Level   3

CAMAROBOY69

Or disable the achievements when the cheats are on like most games do.

That would be fine.  Saints Row 2 did that. I just think that there should be an option.  I have no problem with people who want the challenge.  I just think that there can be a medium struck.

• Level   8

I was very surprised God mode and cheats were removed, as well as bummed.  The Doom games have always had them.  I was totally expecting to beat the different games on the disc without them, then turning them on and blasting through the game again with all weapons and infinite ammo.  With their record of having them, it's strange they removed them for this version alone.  Most games do it right by disabling achievements when cheats are on.  Just weird they removed cheats as well as co-op.  Still OP personally I think it's a little far to say you won't buy the game if there isn't a cheat mode.  It still has a ton of content for $40.  Very fun and the improvements make it well worth going through again.  

We're Alive.  It's like The Walking Dead, but in podcast form.  Also free.

• Level   3

Thookins

I was very surprised God mode and cheats were removed, as well as bummed.  The Doom games have always had them.  I was totally expecting to beat the different games on the disc without them, then turning them on and blasting through the game again with all weapons and infinite ammo.  With their record of having them, it's strange they removed them for this version alone.  Most games do it right by disabling achievements when cheats are on.  Just weird they removed cheats as well as co-op.  Still OP personally I think it's a little far to say you won't buy the game if there isn't a cheat mode.  It still has a ton of content for $40.  Very fun and the improvements make it well worth going through again.  

I bought the game anyway.  But it's not as fun without cheats for me, not even close..  BTW: I never said I wouldn't buy it, just said I wasn't as gung ho about it.  As to all the content, the XBOX version had more original series Doom content.

• Level   8

I know you didn't outright say you weren't going to buy it.  You said it went from a must buy for you, to a "I don't know for me."  Saying there was a good chance you wouldn't be getting it all over the removal of cheats, just seems a little extreme to me.  Cheats are fun and all sometimes, but they do take away most if not all of the challenge.  BFG as it stands is a blast filled with loads of content.  Saying it's not even close to as fun because the cheats are gone, says you would have played with cheats from the start, or they were the main attraction for you.  Idk, it's just preferred cheating in games in my mind is not how games should be played.  Most developers do not have cheats for a reason.  Takes the challenge, sport, and spirit out of gaming.  With regards to the original Xbox and its original Doom content, I don't remember exactly.  But BFG has an undeniably large amount of content.  I bought Doom 3 and Doom 3: ROE on the original Xbox, and it seems to me there is more content in BFG than those two combined.  For people who prefer to cheat, I guess it's a big problem.  But for those like me who just want a fun game with a fair amount of content, BFG is well worth it.  Either way good to hear you picked it up.  Hope it isn't a completely horrible experience for you.

• Level   3

You wrote:

I know you didn't outright say you weren't going to buy it.  You said it went from a must buy for you, to a "I don't know for me."  Saying there was a good chance you wouldn't be getting it all over the removal of cheats, just seems a little extreme to me.  Cheats are fun and all sometimes, but they do take away most if not all of the challenge.  BFG as it stands is a blast filled with loads of content.  Saying it's not even close to as fun because the cheats are gone, says you would have played with cheats from the start, or they were the main attraction for you.  Idk, it's just preferred cheating in games in my mind is not how games should be played.  Most developers do not have cheats for a reason.  Takes the challenge, sport, and spirit out of gaming.  With regards to the original Xbox and its original Doom content, I don't remember exactly.  But BFG has an undeniably large amount of content.  I bought Doom 3 and Doom 3: ROE on the original Xbox, and it seems to me there is more content in BFG than those two combined.  For people who prefer to cheat, I guess it's a big problem.  But for those like me who just want a fun game with a fair amount of content, BFG is well worth it.  Either way good to hear you picked it up.  Hope it isn't a completely horrible experience for you.

You're missing something.  Sometimes I don't want a challenge.  Sometimes I simply want to have fun.  God mode is fun.  Yes, cheats were the main reason I became a Doom fan in the first place.  Because with my lazy eye, and not great hand/eye cordination, I know I'm not as good as other gamers.  But on the single player campaign, fun for me is being able to cheat.  Having cheats didn't affect by enjoyment of Half Life 2 (Orange Box).  And it helped given some of the tedious missions on Saints Row 2 (played it on the other system.)

You think it's how games shouldn't be played.  That's fine But not everyone feels that way.  That's why I favor choice.  In Saints Row 2, I chose to forgo trophies.  As to developers not including cheats, actually I'd say it has more to do with achievements/trophies and online play.  There are actual cheaters who can exploit games online modes to play unfairly, I'd be willing to guess cheat codes would make that door a bit wider. 

Collector's version of Doom 3 had the master levels on them.  So yeah, in terms of original Doom content, there was more.  As to me enjoying the game, no not as much.  Not even close.

• Level   8

Well that's a bummer you have a condition, so you benefiting from cheats more than others now makes more sense.  I'd bet that the majority of gamers out there want a little of a challenge in their games.  That's why I really don't care nor does anybody else in this thread that they're gone.  A game without challenge is pointless to me because it tests nothing.  The enemies have no chance.  There's no triumph and pleasure with the win because the gamer didn't win, the cheats did.  If God Mode was on, a monkey with a controller strapped to its hands could run around the level and maybe even eventually win.  Guess it comes down to I can't relate to somebody (anybody) wanting no challenge in their games.  Just no fun there for me.  With the Doom content you're talking about, I don't remember because Doom in more recent gaming years hasn't been that fun for me.  There's still more 'Doom' content as a whole in BFG than any other Doom game in the past.  Guess people always have to find something they don't like.  Bummer you're not enjoying the game that much.  Maybe you should trade it in if the lack of cheats makes it that bad for you?

• Level   5

If a game is well made an balanced then there is no need for any cheats.

Xbox LIVE Community Ambassador™

• Level   3

Thookins

Well that's a bummer you have a condition, so you benefiting from cheats more than others now makes more sense.  I'd bet that the majority of gamers out there want a little of a challenge in their games.  That's why I really don't care nor does anybody else in this thread that they're gone.  A game without challenge is pointless to me because it tests nothing.  The enemies have no chance.  There's no triumph and pleasure with the win because the gamer didn't win, the cheats did.  If God Mode was on, a monkey with a controller strapped to its hands could run around the level and maybe even eventually win.  Guess it comes down to I can't relate to somebody (anybody) wanting no challenge in their games.  Just no fun there for me.  With the Doom content you're talking about, I don't remember because Doom in more recent gaming years hasn't been that fun for me.  There's still more 'Doom' content as a whole in BFG than any other Doom game in the past.  Guess people always have to find something they don't like.  Bummer you're not enjoying the game that much.  Maybe you should trade it in if the lack of cheats makes it that bad for you?

People obviouly care because they took time to reply.  But no one (you included) seems to understand the concept of choice.  Because I read other boards and I've seen some (not all) gamers missing them also.  What you also seem to continue to either not grasp or ignore is that, and forgive my shouting, is sometimes I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE COMPETITION.   One of the biggest stress relievers I had was on the original XBOX Doom 3 and (other Doom games) was being able to go around and blowing away demons. 

Not everything has to be that complicated.  Not everything needs to be a challenge.  Yet it seems like you think everyone else should play games your way.  I, on the other hand, feel like gaming is big enough to where there should be enough room for everyone.  I know not everyone plays games my way, but that's ok.  I don't do much of anything on multiplayer. 

You claim not to remember the original Doom 3, yet you're still trumpeting this one having more content.  When it is a fact that in terms of origial Doom, the XBOX version had more.  It had Doom 1, Doom 2, and Master Levels.  As to trading it in, if I beat something else and have it to go with it, it's a possibility.

• Level   3

Skin2k

If a game is well made an balanced then there is no need for any cheats.

But how many games are actually that good?   You want to tak Halo series?  Ok.  Maybe even Call Of Duty.  Those two have enough checkpoints, regenerating health, that's fine.  But a lot of games aren't.  They suffer from cheap AI, poor missions, lack of checkpoints, things which can make them frustrating.  I know I wouldn't have beaten Saints Row 2 on the other system without cheats.  Because some of those missions were so tough, I couldn't have made it through. 

And in some cases, like Doom, cheat codes just make the game more fun.  Espeically in the original, given the enviormental hazzards you have to deal with.  But with me, it's not about need.  It's about choice.  I don't begrudge anyone for how they want to play a game.  I only ask the same.

• Level   8

@Scorpion:  I meant other people don't care that the cheats aren't present.  You're the only one in tgis thread that is upset on the matter.  I want a challenge even if it's small, and not a game that does the gaming for me.  I can't find fun in a game where there's no chance I'll lose.  Look I understand your position now that you've said it.  You have a condition and you don't care about any challenge sometimes.   I can't relate, but fair enough.  BFG still has more content than what you keep talking about.  That may have more original Doom content, but this one has more all around content.  Much better imo.  Perhaps you should go back to that if this one is so poor?

• Level   3

Thookins

@Scorpion:  I meant other people don't care that the cheats aren't present.  You're the only one in tgis thread that is upset on the matter.  I want a challenge even if it's small, and not a game that does the gaming for me.  I can't find fun in a game where there's no chance I'll lose.  Look I understand your position now that you've said it.  You have a condition and you don't care about any challenge sometimes.   I can't relate, but fair enough.  BFG still has more content than what you keep talking about.  That may have more original Doom content, but this one has more all around content.  Much better imo.  Perhaps you should go back to that if this one is so poor?

Unless you can find it on EBay, the original Doom 3 isn't available.  You probably know that, so don't be a smart "alleck."  Did you miss the part where I saw other people who missed cheats on other boards, for if no other reason, the nostaliga.  If people truly didn't care, why stop to tell me they don't care?  That shows an opinion one way or the other.  If I don't care about something, I'm not going to take time to post to say it.

All I see out of you is a condescending attitude.  After I post this, I'm deleting this board as favorite place.  So feel free to have whatever last word you wish.