Not the most positive Insect Armageddon news

• Level   3

This is from Gametrailers.com

Posted 6-22-2011 12:53am
    Compared to EDF 2017 this game offers little more than better player models and animations for the playable characters, a few more frames of animation added to the movement of the smaller enemies and slightly improved detail on the environmental objects.

Other than that; graphically it is looking quite a bit worse than 2017 (no more great lighting effects, explosions are now just silly looking bursts of light instead of meaty, long lasting eruptions of fire and smoke like they were before. No more photo-realistic/ metallic textures on the flying/ robotic enemies, the basic architecture and placement of the buildings is not even close to true-to-life, nor is the apparent lack of any kind of hilly terrain, etc.)

Gameplay-wise; Not only have they removed the awesome pinball physics that used to send enemies flying for miles, but they also removed the unique instant-feedback hit detection animations we used to get from each bullet/ blast that made contact with an enemy.

It also seems like almost everything they did manage to do half-way correctly was due, in large part, to the early fan backlash and subsequent fan feedback they received following the first bits of discouraging footage released.

I can only imagine how much worse this game would have turned out had they been left to their own devices with their initial plans for design.
    • Level   5

Judging from the footage I've seen, I'd say that sounds about right. That doesn't mean it doesn't look fun though, I'm still excited as hell and plan to pick it up regardless of what anyone says! :)   But I do prefer the new look that Insect Armageddon has, it's less cartoony and more bad-@@@.

• Level   5

Thoughts?

• Level   1

Still a first day purchase for me

The Legendary DX
    • Level   1

You people are crazy. This game is amazing.

• Level   1

I agree & wish I was playing it now like you are

The Legendary DX
    • Level   5

You Americans are so lucky you get it days in advance!

I'm going round my local game shops and I ask if they sell Insect Armageddon, and the normal response is "Earth Defence what?" . . . *sigh*

• Level   1

best game EVER!

The Legendary DX
    • Level   V

i agree with the OP actually ... it's disappoiting .. still mindless fun but not as much as the first one somehow.  it isn't an improvement visually .. it isn't an improvement with the enemies, environement or even weaponry.  the classes are nice but it just feels like a failure of a sequel...not bigger, not badder and definitely not more bad @@@.

Post 'as is' and confers no rights

this is About Me /deaconthevelvetvoice

• Level   1

Played all day 7/5.  2017 is better.  

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.George Bernard Shaw. 2old2play
    • Level   5

I have  EDF insect armageddon and im looking for online coop play and survival play anyone  want to join me some time add me UnbredC J J

• Level   3

Looking at gameplay footage, it reminds me of Lost Planet 2, which I wasn't a big fan of :/

• Level   1

I'm a big fan of EDF 2017.  Played it all the way through yet again before IA arrived.

Took me two short nights after work to beat IA.  By the time I got to the fifth level on Chapter 3, I was sooooo excited!!  Ohhh man, this game was really starting to get AWESOME!!!  ...and then I realized that was it.  I had to start scouring the Tubes to see if I'd done something wrong.

15 levels?  Really?  I had a fun time, but it was over way too quickly and it was all in a city.  I was looking forward to some hills, beaches, caves, etc...  figured they'd really try to out-do the last title.  Ya know, those dinosaurs?  Oh, the one big HUGE dinosaur with the shoulder lasers?  Yea, none of that in IA.

That last level felt like it was just about to really begin!!!  I can't believe it was actually THE END!  UGH.  :P

• Level   8

gAMEINFORMER RATED IT AN 8. I am liking it. never played 2017

I'm sorry i'm better then you. I was just born this way.

• Level   3

Hey Twisk,

I agree that on the normal difficulty = easy, the game can be finished in about 5-6 hours.  But once you ramp up the difficulty to hard or inferno, you suddenly realize that you definitely have to start ranking up your player if you want to have any chance of getting through it, and of course, that's going to take a lot more time to do so. 

I was the one that originally posted what Gametrailers had to say about the game, and after playing it now for approximately 25 hours, I totally disagree with almost everything they wrote.  I do agree that it doesn't have the amount of enormous monsters that 2017 had, or the more open locations, such as the beach or mountains, but it does have the 3 basic things that makes it what it is.  It's simple, it's fun, and it's totally addictive, just like an old-school shooter.  I know I can't stop playing it, and the Campaign remix mode is a great addition, that changes the enemies you face during each mission.  It's an easy 9/10 for me, and I definitely see myself trying to finish the game on inferno with all 4 armor classes, and I'm sure that will take me right through till September to do so.  LOL