Fallout Introduction

• Level   2

For quite a while I have had my eye on the Fallout series in general. Being new to the series however, I have been hesitant on where I should begin. Is it feasible to begin right in Fallout 3, skipping 1 and 2? I've been told by many this is a fantastic game and I love RPGs and Bethesda for that matter. Additionally. I believe there is a GOTY edition for this game, should I aim to purchase that version if possible?

Last, how does Fallout: New Vegas fit into the series then? Thanks!

• Level   5

If your going for fallout 3 then go ahead & skip the first two games sense they don't have anything related to each other besides the content & the era that it takes place in. to me Fallout 3 is more Oblivion like but with guns & way to easy then any of there games, and as an original player it feel unbalance sense most stuff that you would find in the fallout series is missing. Fallout New Vegas fix this unbalance & makes the story more original then fallout 3, heck New Vegas is what Fallout 3 should have been, to others New Vegas is more like DLC.

-

Fallout New Vegas fit in because of the content found in the Fallout Bible, like the Caesar Legion fighting NCR just like it state in the fallout bible. if your going to buy the GOTY then your in luck because its like $10 now heck i believe you can find Fallout 1 for free.

• Level   7

In some ways its cooler to not know anything about Fallout or have played the other games,  That way when you step out of the vault you know nothing about the world, just like your character.

• Level   5

Icewolfer93

For quite a while I have had my eye on the Fallout series in general. Being new to the series however, I have been hesitant on where I should begin. Is it feasible to begin right in Fallout 3, skipping 1 and 2? I've been told by many this is a fantastic game and I love RPGs and Bethesda for that matter. Additionally. I believe there is a GOTY edition for this game, should I aim to purchase that version if possible?

Last, how does Fallout: New Vegas fit into the series then? Thanks!

Let me put it this way: you don't have to play Fallout 1 and 2 to get Fallout 3 because Fallout 3 takes a lot of leniency with the lore.  If you want to know how certain factions should actually act and how things really should be, play the first two and then play Fallout 3.  Hell, even New Vegas sticks to the originals.  But if you don't care, you can jump into Fallout 3 without any prior knowledge.  Just don't expect to get the correct explanation on a lot of things

As for New Vegas, it's more of a sequel to Fallout 1 and 2 than Fallout 3 is, so it fits quite nicely into the series.  So if you want a coherent chronology, I'd play Fallout 1, Fallout 2, New Vegas, and then Fallout 3 because it's the outlier.  If you're just into Bethesda games and don't care about the lore and stuff, play Fallout 3 first, then New Vegas, and then check out the older games

This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine

Fallout + Star Wars = :D

• Level   5

I just want to throw in my $.02 on Maul's comment, and say that many of the hardcore Fallout fans I've spoken with don't share his opinion on Fallout 3, and that it is not necessarily the lore-shattering monster that some fans claim it is.

Saying that, though, I've played only Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, so do not take my word as that of an expert. Just know that opinions and mileage vary on this point.

I want to take the person I am now and find the courage to throw that all away. Strip down to nothing.

• Level   5

Hardcore fans or people who played the originals ten years ago and enjoyed them but haven't played them since?  That being said, lore aside, New Vegas is still more of a continuation of the first two than Fallout 3 is.  And I don't consider Fallout 3 a "lore shattering monster." That would be FOBOS.  Fallout 3 is more like Tactics in that it has a fair amount of inconsistencies (more so than Tactics), but is consistent with the atmosphere and some of the style of the originals (also more so than Tactics)

• Level   5

MaulYoda

Hardcore fans or people who played the originals ten years ago and enjoyed them but haven't played them since? 

In this case, both.

I want to take the person I am now and find the courage to throw that all away. Strip down to nothing.

• Level   5

Well if they haven't played the original Fallout games in a while, chances are they're a bit fuzzy when it comes to the lore (they also don't necessarily put the series under a microscope like I do)

• Level   5

MaulYoda

Well if they haven't played the original Fallout games in a while, chances are they're a bit fuzzy when it comes to the lore (they also don't necessarily put the series under a microscope like I do)

That's fair enough. I put the Mass Effect series under a pretty severe microscope as well, and I'm one of the biggest critics of BioShock 2 being completely unfaithful to the first game.

• Level   5

Kimieva

MaulYoda

That's fair enough. I put the Mass Effect series under a pretty severe microscope as well, and I'm one of the biggest critics of BioShock 2 being completely unfaithful to the first game.

I don't know if "unfaithful" is the right word (maybe "unworthy"), but glad we can agree on something

• Level   5

MaulYoda

Kimieva

MaulYoda

I don't know if "unfaithful" is the right word (maybe "unworthy"), but glad we can agree on something

I'd call it unfaithful, at least in the sense that a large percentage of the main plot doesn't mesh well with the events and characters of BioShock. To me, much of BioShock 2 contradicts itself as well as the first game. But that's not a conversation for this thread or this forum.

• Level   5

Icewolfer93 I envy you. My first Fallout experience began with 3, and it was by far one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've ever had. I wish I could wipe my memory of the game and play it all over again.

Definitely buy the GOTY edition. You'll get all the dlc and save a lot of money. At this point I'd guess the GOTY edition is probably $20 brand new. After you finish 3, which will take some time, buy New Vegas GOTY and lose yourself in Fallout once again. You'll have two fantastic gaming experiences with loads of content for a great price.

• Level   3

Get the GOTY. I;m just playing it for the 1st time too. BF got me GOTY..I'm at level 14 and LOVE it. I don't feel like I'm  missing anything by not playing the others.

The cake..the cake was a lie. We Should kill him.

• Level   5

I read about the first two, and then just bought fallout 3 GOTY, try and do the alien dlc asap, you get heavy weaponary and such things

• Level   2

Aaagh, Alien Mothership. a good DLC pack! But it took me 3 I say 3 Freak'n play throughs to get the Alien Archivist Achievement. Of course that would be mainly because I loath accessing Utube or internet to complete my Achievements. lol.

But the weapons you get a deadly & some weapons have mini quest to upgrade 'em!

As for non power armour, do Riley's Rangers Quest. This will reward you with (undeniably best non power armour protection) either a set of their armour, or a weapon.

I preferred the Fallout 3 because there was more crazy humour.

The Fallout series is something that I'll always consider a favourite gaming experience!!

I just hope that Fallout 4 will be a Xbox One game that's not backwards compatible with the Xbox 360. It'd be a shame to see it turn out not to be a fully next-gen gaming experience.