Tuning requests

• Level   8

By the way, you sound like you know a thing or two as well. Nice talking with ya. :-)

The apathy citizens have for their own freedom and liberty is what will bring about the end to both.

• Level   5

DTW Dirty Harry
    By the way, you sound like you know a thing or two as well.

I am by no means a good tuner.  It takes me way too long and even after a lot of effort, my tunes are average (at best).  But I enjoy the challenge of trying to massage the set-up to suit the track and my driving style.

You probably already know about Slave Munky's tuning spreadsheet, but in case you don't: http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/4859908.aspx

It won't give you a perfect tune, but it's a pretty good starting point.

DTW Dirty Harry
    Nice talking with ya. :-)

Likewise!  Always nice to chat with a fellow enthusiast.

• Level   8

I utilize a proprietary formula for tuning the springs stiffness and damping which was handed down to me by another good tuner here, Starfirebird. The rest I do myself however. I feel a formula is necessary for the best results when tuning the spring stiffness and damping. The reason is simple. Only a mathematical formula can properly and consistently balance the cars fulcrum. The reality of suspension tuning is you are attempting to balance the cars modified weight distribution based on front/rear balance and drive configuration. The idea is to use the springs to balance the weight evenly.

Everything other than the springs (except for gears which I custom tune for every single car based on the cars peak HP, peak torque, power band range and drag limited top speed) I feel are best tuned by feel and observing the telemetry while the car is in action, such as tire pressures, camber angles, differential settings, downforce (if any), etc. My tuning has evolved over the last half dozen years and I'm sure will continue to do so moving into the future.

I'd be happy to tune one up for ya to see what you think.

The apathy citizens have for their own freedom and liberty is what will bring about the end to both.

• Level   5

Thanks for the offer.  I'll take you up on it!

Here's a tough one.  It's a spec series on VM, so your tuning choices are really limited, but I'd like to see how you do it.

Here's the build:  www.virtual-motorsports.com/.../viewtopic.php

This week the race is at  Infineon NASCAR.

• Level   8

So, I'd have to build the 300z using only the parts stipulated on that forum which you provided a link for? I noticed they did not use a racing suspension, racing anti roll bars or racing transmission so there would be very, very limited tuning adjustments available. I would only be able to adjust 4 things; The tire pressure, brakes, rear downforce and differential.  :-(

If I tuned it I would adjust the tire pressure so that they are probably mid 32's psi while they are warm on that specific track, the brakes based on wheel locking under hard braking (balance related), differential so that I turn in well without breaking loose during decel turns and the accel so that I get limited slippage during acceleration and only as much rear downforce needed to prevent tail spin-out during fast sweeping turns (which might be all the way down with Infineon).

If you really want me to I guess I will but give me a little more to work with, bro. lol

Cheers

• Level   5

LOL.  I hear ya, bro.

Yes - you can only use the parts listed.

Your process is exactly what I've tried to do, but I've had limited success, especially on the diff and brake settings.  It could also be that I've got the tune correct and there's simply nothing more to be gained out of the car (with my driving skills).

BTW, have you ever considered joining a team?  Or are you already on one (DTW)?

• Level   8

EZT Shotgunz

Your process is exactly what I've tried to do, but I've had limited success, especially on the diff and brake settings.  It could also be that I've got the tune correct and there's simply nothing more to be gained out of the car (with my driving skills).

BTW, have you ever considered joining a team?  Or are you already on one (DTW)?

You make a good point. Driving style/skill/ability/whatever may have something to do with it, or it may not. A "good tune" can be somewhat subjective anyway.

Believe it or not, my gamer tag is my original gamer tag which I chose back when I played my very first online game which was Socom 1 on the PS2. The "DTW" stands for Dead to the World which was and is a hardcore band in Atlanta, GA. The band were the founding members of our gaming community/clan (not really a clan in the modern sense of the word but more a group of adults who liked to drink beer and play games on the weekends). I wound up trading my PS2 in for an Xbox and just decided to keep the gamer tag.

I bought Forza 1 for the OG Xbox and fell in love with the franchise. I ended up joining a car club called Firestick RT and back then FM1 kept track of car club stats too. Our car club actually held a top 3 position in all car club categories. I must have put over 400 hours into that game which I simply don't have the kind of time to do anymore with a full time job, wife, son, guitar lessons, jogging, etc...

I'm actually in a car club now (UXF aka Unofficial Xbox Forums) but we're very inactive and only have 5 members including myself. The FM4 car club is an extension of a gaming group that really revolves around Battlefield. We have a web site and such but it's more of a group of adults who just like to shoot the sh!t and laugh while we play.

Link to our web site here. You're more than welcome to check us out.

• Level   5

LOL.  I already found a home for my slow butt!  I thought you might be interested in joining EZT.  http://www.eztmotorsport.net

We are a very competitive team in that we try really hard to win team championships on FMC, VM, TORA, etc.

We are also very uncompetitive in that we really don't care how fast you are (although we do have some time trial requirements) as long as you get along with the team.  In fact the most important aspect of our application process is the member vote.

While there's no requirement to participate any any events or series, most of our members are active so a lot of our 'free race time' is spent practicing and helping other team members get faster for upcoming races.  It's not uncommon for us to have 12-14 guys in a private lobby practicing/racing for an upcoming event.  Even guys that aren't in the event will jump in and join us.  Lots of chatter, advice (personal and Forza), jokes, complaining, etc.

No pressure, just telling ya' why I asked.

• Level   8

I sent a friend request to you. I looked at your site and your members list. Only other character I recognized is Tomcat from here. Maybe I can catch some racing with ya at some point, if I can pry myself away from Skyrim and BF3 long enough. hehe  I've hardly played FM4 online. Maybe 15 online races or so is all.

• Level   5

Got it and accepted.

We spend most of our 'forum' time at VM or EZT.

I try to help out here because I was a newb less than a year ago and I had no clue as to where to go to get information of find out about clean, competitive on-line racing (I was a repeat victim of the public lobby first turn wreckers).

That's also why I post the announcements about upcoming VM and EZT events.

• Level   1

I have been trying for a couple days to go to the forums in your link but all I get is a "Resource can not be found " server error message.  Does anyone know if the official forums are down, and if so for how long?  Thanks

• Level   5

Sargi0

I have been trying for a couple days to go to the forums in your link but all I get is a "Resource can not be found " server error message.  Does anyone know if the official forums are down, and if so for how long?  Thanks

Which forums?  Forzamotorsport?  http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums or Virtual Motorsports? http://www.virtual-motorsports.com/forums/index.php or EZT? http://www.eztmotorsport.net/forum

Try clearing your browser cache (including cookies).

• Level   1

Clearing the cache worked! Thanks

• Level   3

Harry thanks for the offer I'll send you a friend request and gift you the car and details of how I want it setup.

• Level   8

I have a full 100 on my friends list at the moment, brother. Sorry. There are other ways to go about it though. Post what car and details here. I can tune it then put the tuning setup on my storefront for free.