Rumor: GTAV Delayed Because Of Threats From Government

• Level   9

This is 100% rumor with no source to back it up. Just something that's being peddled around the Interwebz.

Allegedly, in response to the Sandy Hook school massacre, lawmakers are putting pressure on developers/publishers like Rockstar and Take Two because they actually believe in the notion that videogame violence causes real world violence.

Personally, I REALLY, REALLY hope there is no truth to this. Not just because I find it unconstitutional as it is against the 1st Amendment, but because, in the past, Rockstar has NEVER bowed down to controversy. If they start now, they'll lose their integrity as a developer.

• Level   8

Where are you hearing this rumor? The only reason that i have seen is that they want to allow additional development time.

• Level   9

DarKzEnergYz

Where are you hearing this rumor? The only reason that i have seen is that they want to allow additional development time.

I understand the development process enough to know that a four month delay is WAY too long for a developer the size of Rockstar for simple polish.

If the delay was planned, and it was development-related, it would have been because they were either adding something significant or taking something significant out, probably with multiplayer.

I'm willing to bet that, if the rumor is true, Rockstar is waiting for the ridiculous violent media debates to blow over and release GTAV this fall to stave off even more controversy.

Another thing to consider is that Rockstar's offices were affected by Hurricane Sandy in the form of power outages and surges.

• Level   6

What's more likely; they need more time to finish the game, or a government conspiracy to prevent the release.   You do realise Rockstar is under no obligation to listen to 'lawmakers' and if they were legally prevented from release this would be information publicly available because a court order would be required.

-

The clearly obvious rebuttal of this rumor, will the likelihood of violence being transferred into the real world diminish in four months?

• Level   9

Hellfire IRL

What's more likely; they need more time to finish the game, or a government conspiracy to prevent the release.   You do realise Rockstar is under no obligation to listen to 'lawmakers' and if they were legally prevented from release this would be information publicly available because a court order would be required.

-

The clearly obvious rebuttal of this rumor, will the likelihood of violence being transferred into the real world diminish in four months?

You are correct. Legally, the Government cannot prevent Rockstar from releasing the game just because they don't like it.

HOWEVER, the Government CAN sic the SEC and/or FTC on Take Two, as they did during the Hot Coffee controversy.

• Level   6

Yea I accept you're right that they could hit R* other ways, and it's entirely possible that's true... another massacre or disaster could happen between now and then so there's a lack of logic in forcing a delay.  I think as you said R* never bows to controversy, I'd hope they'd be one of the few developers who would actually make such a subversion public.

• Level   6

This could be true because Splinter cell just had to remove one of their "Torture" scenes from their new game.

uk.gamespot.com/.../splinter-cell-blacklist-torture-scene-removed-6403166

• Level   6

"A player-controlled torture scene from Splinter Cell: Blacklist has been removed following a negative reaction to its brutality"

-

That sounds to me like a focus group didn't like the scene, so they cut it, I wouldn't count that as evidence of government intervention.

• Level   9

Someone is taking Jack Thompson's place?

• Level   5

Here we go again...

• Level   8

Ah, this again.  If they want to crack down on violent video games, they will have to crack down on violent movies that are actually real people acting (unless animated) not some computer created character.  Same thing goes for books and music until we get to the point where the only thing we are allowed to do is sit in silence and twiddle our thumbs.

Bundy is as Bundy does

• Level   8

I would be pretty ticked off if this was the real reason.

• Level   M

Hello everyone.  I deleted a post up there ^^^^^^^^^.  Please dont turn this into a political debate of any kind. If you have any questions on why I deleted the post feel free to send me a PM.  Thanks, oh great thread by the way.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. @PhDPeddler

• Level   7

It's lunacy, because we're playinh GTA IV, and other violent games now....so what the heck they gonna do about us playing these games? What does some new game matter? I've killed probably 1,000,000 AI's,  and some 100,000 Online players from the begining. I 'aint no violent person. Get a life you idiots who believe Video Games are a problem

• Level   9

They use GTA as a scapegoat as a soultion to the problems of society...That worked real well so far (/sarcasm)