Shepards Indoctrination (Major Spoilers!)

• Level   8

Nugolis

Well the Normandy running away (That's just plain stupid, Joker would never fly away into a Mass Rely while a fight to save Earth is happening.) is all Shepards illusion. Everything after you get shot by the Reaper is all Shepards mind. Even the galaxy being saved part. The next thing Shepard does after the beam hit him is wake up (IE, breating scene) Everything in between doesn't actually happen.

Joker didn't use a Relay........its called FTL. and he wasn't running from the battle obviously (stop watching retarded youtube vids).

• Level   5

Shepard indoctrinated....I don't buy it.  

MASS EFFECT 3 FOR LIFE!!

• Level   8

RyoTakahashi

BEASTmmb

Jago 85

The indoctrination theory has plot holes as well. For example why is Shepard just accepting everything the ghostly image tells him, the series is about choices but Shep just stand like a statue and agrees with and does everything the boy tells him?  Makes no sense. Also where does the Mass relays exploding factor into the indoctrination theory?

The ending is all part of a plan by EA/Bioware, they purposefully did this to charge for an alternate ending DLC.

Because its all a hallucination.  None of it is real. 

-

Id also like to link another Indoctrination theory vid made by the guy who made the "ten things that make ME3 ending bad" video that has been making its rounds.  After watching it, I hope that the Indoctrination theory is true and makes me actually like the ending.

That is not the point.  The narrative of the cut scenes are from OUR point of view, not Shepard's.

So unless we are indoctrinated, I fail to see how Mass Relays blowing up is all happening in Shepard's mind.

How do you know its from OUR point of view?  It very well could be Shepard's subconscious or Harbinger trying to convince him that he has done the right thing.  We don't know.  Its fun to speculate though.  

Pre-orders: Destiny, inFamous Second Son, Watch Dogs, Stick of Truth, Fable Anniversary,  FFX/X-2 HD, The Division, Titanfall

Proud owner of both the PS4 and Xbox One

• Level   7

I have yet to finish ME 3 but it sounds to me like the ending resembles the final scene of The Sopranos lol.

Where is the quote button?

• Level   4

BEASTmmb

RyoTakahashi

BEASTmmb

Jago 85

The indoctrination theory has plot holes as well. For example why is Shepard just accepting everything the ghostly image tells him, the series is about choices but Shep just stand like a statue and agrees with and does everything the boy tells him?  Makes no sense. Also where does the Mass relays exploding factor into the indoctrination theory?

The ending is all part of a plan by EA/Bioware, they purposefully did this to charge for an alternate ending DLC.

-

Id also like to link another Indoctrination theory vid made by the guy who made the "ten things that make ME3 ending bad" video that has been making its rounds.  After watching it, I hope that the Indoctrination theory is true and makes me actually like the ending.

That is not the point.  The narrative of the cut scenes are from OUR point of view, not Shepard's.

So unless we are indoctrinated, I fail to see how Mass Relays blowing up is all happening in Shepard's mind.

How do you know its from OUR point of view?  It very well could be Shepard's subconscious or Harbinger trying to convince him that he has done the right thing.  We don't know.  Its fun to speculate though.  

LOL, this is why Microsoft says that they do not comment of rumors and speculation ;)

Interpretation is a good thing in art.  But I think that Bioware needed to frame that ending a little.

But you are 100% right speculation is indeed fun.

Have a great weekend :)

• Level   7

BEASTmmb

Jago 85

-

Of course, this brings us right back to a conclusion (for me at least) that the ending couldn't possibly be worse. Give this some thought. IF the indoctrination 'ending' is all a hallucination... if, in fact, none of it is real, then drawing that to it's natural conclusion, Shepard truly has IMO accomplished absolutely nothing! Why? because none of it actually happened!  Well, if none of it actually happened, then in reality, Shepard is still lying either dead, or best case scenario, nearly dead in a pile of rubble on earth, while the 'final battle' rages on without him. No matter what decision he made, it only happened within the confines of his own mind, not in reality... therefore, Shepard is either dead or mortally wounded without ever seeing and / or finishing the end of this battle.

• Level   8

Which is why we will be getting DLC to finish the fight Im willing to bet.  I don't like ending a game with DLC, but in this instance I think it is a more impactful way to do it.

Pre-orders: Destiny, inFamous Second Son, Watch Dogs, Stick of Truth, Fable Anniversary,  FFX/X-2 HD, The Division, Titanfall

Proud owner of both the PS4 and Xbox One

• Level   5

Think of it this way:

1) You accept the idea this isn't the "real ending" and wait to see what develops.

or

2) You accept the idea this is the "real ending" and just move on to the final sage of grief or a new game.

• Level   7

BEASTmmb

Which is why we will be getting DLC to finish the fight Im willing to bet.  I don't like ending a game with DLC, but in this instance I think it is a more impactful way to do it.

In my case, it might just end up being a completely NON impactful way to do it.  I'm pretty heavily considering just following bardnoir's suggestion and starting to play something else.  And if they actually think I'm going to pay for DLC to end a game that I already paid for it will be very non impactful, especially on my wallet.

• Level   3

BEASTmmb

Jago 85

-

Ha ha, Angry Joe. That's where I first found out about the theory to begin with.

• Level   7

vader da slayer

Nugolis

Well the Normandy running away (That's just plain stupid, Joker would never fly away into a Mass Rely while a fight to save Earth is happening.) is all Shepards illusion. Everything after you get shot by the Reaper is all Shepards mind. Even the galaxy being saved part. The next thing Shepard does after the beam hit him is wake up (IE, breating scene) Everything in between doesn't actually happen.

Joker didn't use a Relay........its called FTL. and he wasn't running from the battle obviously (stop watching retarded youtube vids).

I guess I'm failing to see where him using FTL would make any more sense.  He was already at the battle, why and to where would he need to use FTL?  And if he was only using FTL that would mean he was still in the Sol System.   If he's still in the Sol System then what the hell planet did he crash on?

• Level   4

I have to say I am very onboard with the indocrination theory.  When I was playing through and got hit by the beam as soon as sheaperd stood up my first thought was "oh hey dream sequence" then a husk killed me and proved me wrong... even now when I up that save it still has all the filters (sound/visual) that your dreams had throughout the game.

• Level   5

This theory actually makes the ending decent. If this is not what bioware intended to go with the story line, they should watch and capitalize off this.

Heard they aren't gonna change it, but just add more to it. which is fine with me. I just would like to know more about the story of my squadmates after my decision.

• Level   4

Nugolis

I search on the forums and found nothing of it, so here we go. Everyone who hated the Mass Effect 3 ending should watch this video I'm about to post. In my opinion, this makes the current ending of the game VERY awesome, and actually cuts out a lot (All) of the loop holes left by the first impresion of the endings. Hopefully this is what Bioware had in mind the whole time, and add to this instead of making a brand new ending. It just doesn't make sense to the that Bioware, people who's made awesome game after awesome games, ESPECIALLY the Mass Effect games, would make the only bad thing about all three of the games. And it's not just bad, but horrible! And very unlike what we've gotten in the past.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck&feature=share

If indeed that was the possible true ending, then BW/EA still screwed up. There should have been a "To be continued" in there too stave of the disinterest/outcry over the ending. If this true then I may be willing to start playing again just to get the Paragon ending that I want. But if this is just a ploy by BW/EA to trick people into continuing to playing even though the ending doesn't change then I for one will never buy another BW/EA game ever again. Because this will mean that their only interest will be to sell games even if the games are not worth the money that we spend on them.

Joker: You want me to go crawling through the ducts again. EDI: I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
    • Level   9

RyoTakahashi

As an English teacher with a graduate degree in the subject I disagree.

The characteristics of a 3rd person narrative is significantly different than that of a work written in the 1st person.

Me too!  We should have a degree-measuring contest :)

Seriously though, you have to admit that when principles of "point of view" are applied to videogames, they become a lot more fluid than those of fiction.  Are we, as players, occupying the 1st person role, or are we simply observing the main character's actions in the 3rd person.  I'd argue that, because it's actually both, then most of the rules go out the window. 

Don't get me wrong...although I love the artistic merit of having a cryptic, open ending finale that invites speculation, I'm just as much a sucker for happy endings as everyone else.  Sure, I'd love to have a scene with Shepard, Garrus and Liara all getting hammered in Purgatory decades in the future, reminiscing over how they kicked the Reapers' a**.  But the ending as it exists now appeals to my love for deep, philosophical sci-fi that concerns itself more with questions than it does answers.

If you have trouble making line-breaks on forum posts, do the following:  Make sure you go to the "rich formatting" screen (do not use the small, quick-reply window below each forum post).  Now, hold down the shift key while pressing Enter at the end of a paragraph.  Do this twice and you will have a double space between paragraphs.  You're welcome.