(SPOILER ALERT) - THE !@#$%^& can WIN!

• Level   5

The stakes are higher than ever in Mass Effect 3, says BioWare.
    Ancient machines threaten the Earth, and only you are in a position to stop them: What do you do? Well, one of the things you can do is make a complete mess of it and let angry mechanical star gods destroy the whole planet. BioWare has let slip that one of the possible endings in Mass Effect 3 is that Commander Shepard can fail to stop the Reapers, thus dooming the Earth, and the entire galaxy.
    BioWare's Mike Gamble revealed that this baleful possibility existed, although obviously he wouldn't go into too much detail - or indeed, any detail at all - as to how it came about. However, he did say that the stakes were higher in Mass Effect 3 than they'd ever been before. "In Mass Effect 3, the theme is literally galactic extinction, so the choices that you make can have that much larger consequences, and because of that, you think a little bit harder before making them."
    He said that it was difficult to account for all the decisions a player might make, not to mention the different combinations of decisions, but that having so many options made the story better. "A lot of the satisfaction [in Mass Effect 3] comes out of the choices that you made, so when a story concludes a certain way, the way it concluded was in part because of the choices you made." He also said that the choices increased the game's replayability, as people could go back and try out different branches of the story.
    This isn't the first time that BioWare has included a "bad ending" in a Mass Effect game: in Mass Effect 2 it was possible for Shepard to die at the end, but then - as will undoubtedly be the case in Mass Effect 3 - the player only had him or herself to blame. I like the idea that victory isn't guaranteed, as it helps make the story all the more immersive. You'll probably defeat the Reapers at the end of the game, but when you do, it will be the result of - potentially - three games worth of good decisions.
    Mass Effect 3 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on March 6th. -NowGamer
    -

So I decided I had to post this because my girlfriend got a perfect playthrough the very first time. She saved the crew, all members, all loyalty and got it absolutely perfect haha in 4 playthrough's I couldn't get it done!
    So I'm sitting here and picturing her with a triumphant victory and me with a sullen look on my face as the Reapers destroy the galaxy lol
    What do you think of the possibility we could LOSE the fight against the Reapers?

• Level   5

I'll just quote what I wrote all the way back in June 2010.

Schuey19
    And finally, I want the option that if you haven't made all of the best choices in the first two games then when you complete the game the Reapers can win.
    Not too many seemed to like my idea then so it'll be interesting to see what people think a year later.

• Level   5

Schuey19

I'll just quote what I wrote all the way back in June 2010.

Schuey19
    And finally, I want the option that if you haven't made all of the best choices in the first two games then when you complete the game the Reapers can win.
    Not too many seemed to like my idea then so it'll be interesting to see what people think a year later.

I was hoping for this possibility as well.

• Level   9

I applaud Bioware for having multiple endings, rather than have all of the different pathways converge into only one possibility.  I'd like to also see an ending where I can sacrifice my Shepard and still save the galaxy as well...:-)

• Level   8

I think Shepard doing 3 suicide missions and surviving is getting a little silly. Either we should fail and everyone gets wiped out, or Shepard has to die in order to save everyone else.

• Level   8

this outcome is logical (not trying to sound like spock here) as we were able to get our shepard(s) killed in ME2 so having the reapers able to win isn't really spoiler-ish to any degree, at least in my opinion it isnt. also wonder if it will be as hard as getting yourself killed in ME2 was.

• Level   5

vader da slayer
    also wonder if it will be as hard as getting yourself killed in ME2 was.

I hope it's more organic than ME2. Having to purposely make bad decision after bad decision to get the "death of Shepard" ending almost made putting that ending in the game redundant, because you'd have to conciously make the decision to kill him/her so there was no shock when it happened.

• Level   8
    Schuey19

vader da slayer
    also wonder if it will be as hard as getting yourself killed in ME2 was.

I hope it's more organic than ME2. Having to purposely make bad decision after bad decision to get the "death of Shepard" ending almost made putting that ending in the game redundant, because you'd have to consciously make the decision to kill him/her so there was no shock when it happened.
    I do agree with that. I remember trying twice to kill myself without just not doing any loyalty missions and couldn't get it to happen. of course it isn't supposed to as Shepards story is supposed to continue on to the third game. now in ME3 I could definitely see them making the death of shepard a more "easily" obtained ending. as in you might actually get that ending without trying.
    • Level   5

@ fear why waffle - Well, technically he didn't survive. What happened was he and all of the others (Tali, Wrex, Kaidan/Ashley, Liara and Garrus) thwarted Saren and then the Reapers got pissed and dispatched the Collectors to kill Shepard. They killed him no ifs and's or but's about it...dead as dead could be, destroyed the Normandy and disbanded the crew.

So they won. Then along comes Cerberus and The Illusive Man and they rebuilt Commander Shepard and he was back with a vengeance and opened up a great big can of whoop @@@ on the Collectors with an entire team of people standing behind him. Commander Shepard didn't pull it off alone...he had a whole football team worth of people to help him.

So now Commander Shepard is fighting for the galaxy and has to unite ALL of the races to fight the Reapers. Commander Shepard himself (or herself) has been a part of it...but has not been the only one.

Strip away Cerberus, his crew, the Alliance and everything else and Commander Shepard would have nothing and be dead...so I wouldn't necessarily say its silly surviving 3 suicide missions when technically...he didn't really survive.