Shepards Indoctrination (Major Spoilers!)

• Level   3

I search on the forums and found nothing of it, so here we go. Everyone who hated the Mass Effect 3 ending should watch this video I'm about to post. In my opinion, this makes the current ending of the game VERY awesome, and actually cuts out a lot (All) of the loop holes left by the first impresion of the endings. Hopefully this is what Bioware had in mind the whole time, and add to this instead of making a brand new ending. It just doesn't make sense to the that Bioware, people who's made awesome game after awesome games, ESPECIALLY the Mass Effect games, would make the only bad thing about all three of the games. And it's not just bad, but horrible! And very unlike what we've gotten in the past.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck&feature=share

• Level   4

When fans have to explain away the FACT of the ME3 endings, you know that Bioware is in trouble.

If Shepard was indoctrinated..... then why is the audience viewing the whole galaxy doing stuff? You know, like the Normandy outrunning a wave blast and crash landing on some lush planet?

Is all of this an illusion?  Are we indoctrinated?

The ending just plain sucks.

• Level   3

Well the Normandy running away (That's just plain stupid, Joker would never fly away into a Mass Rely while a fight to save Earth is happening.) is all Shepards illusion. Everything after you get shot by the Reaper is all Shepards mind. Even the galaxy being saved part. The next thing Shepard does after the beam hit him is wake up (IE, breating scene) Everything in between doesn't actually happen.

• Level   7

I am in the process of viewing this video.  I will only accept indoctrination as the ending because the current ending is plain awful.

• Level   5

Three words:

Prince of Persia.

It has an expanding ending as DLC that was later considered the "real" ending.

While I'm not saying the ending killed my experience with the Franchise I do agree with everyone who's saying the dropped the ball. This may seem like grasping at straws to the jaded, but that's a lot of straws to grasp. When I started ME3 and saw the Cerberus versions of Husks I kind of agreed with Ash-Lenko (whoever you had with you - didn't matter) in that even I couldn't trust the Shepard I was playing was still the Shepard who died at the start of Mass Effect 2.

• Level   7

That video was very informative. Brought attention to a lot of little things I didn't notice like the trees around the Conduit and Shepard bleeding from the spot where Anderson was shot.

-

If the DLC ending is after the events in Shepard's mind, it would be interesting. Maybe we would play as a squadmate and have to kill Shepard. Or maybe if yo picked the Destroy ending you could keep playing as yourself. I don't know. Too many variables, too many variables.

• Level   7

implantedwall14

That video was very informative. Brought attention to a lot of little things I didn't notice like the trees around the Conduit and Shepard bleeding from the spot where Anderson was shot.

-

If the DLC ending is after the events in Shepard's mind, it would be interesting. Maybe we would play as a squadmate and have to kill Shepard. Or maybe if yo picked the Destroy ending you could keep playing as yourself. I don't know. Too many variables, too many variables.

That's the whole problem and I've made a few posts regarding it... I watched the video and it does seem like adding up all the little details make the ending point towards indoctrination. That being said, the video also keeps reinforcing itself by repeating little things mentioned by harbinger, or even Sovereign 2 games ago. All these tiny little details that would require me to have an almost photographic memory to put it all together is just poor implementation.   I just don't think it should take a video capture device, a complete playthrough of all the cutscenes from all 3 games, a re-rendering of the final 20 min of ME 3 with a voice over from all 3 games just to explain WTH is going on.

JMPO, but if the whole indoctrination theory ends up being the actual ending that they were portraying, then (although I agree it makes sense of most of it) I'm no more a fan of it now than when I didn't understand it.  I actually don't like it even more... Hundreds of hours of game play and played all 6 classes in ME 2 and the final conflict is within Shepard's own mind... and at that, it's almost all cutscene with very little choice of what happens. That's just depressing.  Maybe I won't bother finishing my femshep playthrough... Not like I'll get a different ending.

• Level   7

I agree, it still is not a good ending, but it is still better than what we have now. I'm not going to let the end ruin this trilogy for me though. I still love the games. It is just the last two minutes or so that I am not on board with.

• Level   7

implantedwall14

I agree, it still is not a good ending, but it is still better than what we have now. I'm not going to let the end ruin this trilogy for me though. I still love the games. It is just the last two minutes or so that I am not on board with.

True enough that it doesn't ruin the rest of the trilogy.  Problem is that the part that gets so screwed up is the biggest, most important part... the one we've been waiting years for. What it ruins, for me, is my want to play more. Of the many video games I've played, the ones I consider to be the best are the ones where the ending leaves me wanting to keep playing... the endings that make me say nooo! it can't be over yet, I want more! They left me with an uplifted feeling of accomplishment, and that there was hope for future happenings.  ME 3 left me with only confusion... and the more clear things become (IF the indoctrination ending is legit) the more I feel like I accomplished nothing.

Of course, part of that may be because I didn't get the 'Takes a breath afterward' ending, but even if I had... to what end? The devs said they were making the ending bittersweet.  To me, it seemed much more bitter than sweet. There was just too much finality to it. Even if I could imagine there being more, it didn't make me want more.

• Level   7

The indoctrination theory has plot holes as well. For example why is Shepard just accepting everything the ghostly image tells him, the series is about choices but Shep just stand like a statue and agrees with and does everything the boy tells him?  Makes no sense. Also where does the Mass relays exploding factor into the indoctrination theory?

The ending is all part of a plan by EA/Bioware, they purposefully did this to charge for an alternate ending DLC.

• Level   8

Jago 85

The indoctrination theory has plot holes as well. For example why is Shepard just accepting everything the ghostly image tells him, the series is about choices but Shep just stand like a statue and agrees with and does everything the boy tells him?  Makes no sense. Also where does the Mass relays exploding factor into the indoctrination theory?

The ending is all part of a plan by EA/Bioware, they purposefully did this to charge for an alternate ending DLC.

Because its all a hallucination.  None of it is real. 

-

Id also like to link another Indoctrination theory vid made by the guy who made the "ten things that make ME3 ending bad" video that has been making its rounds.  After watching it, I hope that the Indoctrination theory is true and makes me actually like the ending.

Pre-orders: Destiny, inFamous Second Son, Watch Dogs, Stick of Truth, Fable Anniversary,  FFX/X-2 HD, The Division, Titanfall

Proud owner of both the PS4 and Xbox One

• Level   4

BEASTmmb

Jago 85

Because its all a hallucination.  None of it is real. 

-

Id also like to link another Indoctrination theory vid made by the guy who made the "ten things that make ME3 ending bad" video that has been making its rounds.  After watching it, I hope that the Indoctrination theory is true and makes me actually like the ending.

That is not the point.  The narrative of the cut scenes are from OUR point of view, not Shepard's.

So unless we are indoctrinated, I fail to see how Mass Relays blowing up is all happening in Shepard's mind.

• Level   9

That's ridiculous.  The whole point of fiction like this is to immerse the viewer/reader/player into the POV of the character.  Any high school English student knows that.  The reason why the ending works is because it's open to interpretation.  If I choose to SPECULATE that Shep is indoctrinated, then there can be all kinds of reasons why I'm seeing this through his eyes.  At the moment of his death, perhaps he weighs the consequences of what he's done, or just sees his own perfect visions for what became of his friends.  We don't know either way, but that's what makes it so brilliant.  In many ways, if they offer a taut explanation of this, it will only cheapen it.

If you have trouble making line-breaks on forum posts, do the following:  Make sure you go to the "rich formatting" screen (do not use the small, quick-reply window below each forum post).  Now, hold down the shift key while pressing Enter at the end of a paragraph.  Do this twice and you will have a double space between paragraphs.  You're welcome.

• Level   9

^^ @Back Lot Basher, agreed!

Wolfenstein: The New Order (5/20/14)

Dying Light (TBA)

Evolve (TBA)

Quantum Break (Most Anticipated)

• Level   4

As an English teacher with a graduate degree in the subject I disagree.

The characteristics of a 3rd person narrative is significantly different than that of a work written in the 1st person.

If you like it, then that is fine.

The issues of the ending have been well articulated. All art is open to interpretation.  The problems with ME3's ending deal with structure, inconsistency, and overall narrative weakness.

That is my opinion.

If you like the ending, then kudos for you :)

Best regards,