Black Soul Gems and Soul Gem Fragments

• Level   5

What are black soul gems for and what's the size of the soul they can carry? I've found a few while looting various dungeons but I just stored them in my house as I didn't want to use them if I need them for a quest or something.

I've also found a few soul gem fragments, can you make a complete soul gem with these or are they just for selling?

Thanks.

Tag 'em and Bag 'em!

Know the enemy; Kill the enemy.

My N7 HQ

• Level   7

In the past (so undoubtably the same in this game) black soul gems captured humanoid souls.

Fragments I don't know, I'm sure there's an altar or something you drop them in and have them come out a completed gem.  Or maybe just there as a teaser. dunno

-Purist

• Level   6

I'm pretty sure he fragment pieces have something to do with azure's star.

Ooops! What happened to this page? Uh oh... that shouldn't have happened. It appears you've found a glitch in the system.
    • Level   5

Tacking on to your questions OP, I actually have a question about Black Souls I was hoping someone could answer. Are all Black Souls equivalent to a Grand Soul? If I used a Black Soul in an enchantment, would I be getting the same bonus as a Grand Soul or are there Black Souls tiers as well. I'm under the impression that all Black Souls give you grand soul power, but I just want to make sure before I start Azura's quest. 

I just want to play on my pan pipes...

• Level   1

SleeperSyndrome: Likely depends on the level of the human you absorb - such as a high level wizard vs a one hit kill bandit.

EV1L SEAN: You need a black soul gem to cure vampirism. And the fragments have nothing to do with Azura's Star. I've found no meaning to them yet.

• Level   8

Black soul gems are the same quality as a grand soul. Human souls ARE grand souls, but you cant trap a human soul in a grand soul gem though. And it doesnt matter on the level of the person. as long as its a humanoid person, then it will be a grand soul in a black soul gem. So using a black soul gem will give you the same results as a grand soul gem. There's a certain guy( aint gonna say no names) that sells black soul gems in the magic college.

Graffiti Artist Dre

• Level   5

Dre G Writer

Black soul gems are the same quality as a grand soul. Human souls ARE grand souls, but you cant trap a human soul in a grand soul gem though. And it doesnt matter on the level of the person. as long as its a humanoid person, then it will be a grand soul in a black soul gem. So using a black soul gem will give you the same results as a grand soul gem. There's a certain guy( aint gonna say no names) that sells black soul gems in the magic college.

Thought so. That makes the idea of turning Azura's Star into a refillable Black Soul Gem a lot more enticing. It'd be easier to get Grand Souls from Bandits than from whatever demonic hellspawn creature has them. 

I just want to play on my pan pipes...

• Level   2

Anyone find the answer to soul gem fragments yet?

I would assume they were just leftover pieces of experiments (as you find several of them throughout your travels), yet I have seen them in shops too...

• Level   4

From UESP on soul gem fragments:

"These are nothing more than minor loot. They cannot be used or transformed into a true soul gem."

• Level   2

Ah, thank you very much for the reply.

Also I apologize for responding to a 3 month old topic, I found it on a search as I didn't come to these forums directly.

• Level   8

Black Soul Gems are actually pretty easy to find once you hit level 30 or so. Necromancers have them and forsworn have them. I have often had several at a time in my inventory which is better than Azura's Star since it only holds 1 soul at a time. Grand soul gems are also relatively easy. If you return the star to Azura you get one of the better followers, too.

I am the cat who walks by herself