Marrying a housecarl and moving: can you bring them with you?

• Level   6

I know that when you become Thane of a city you get a housecarl for your property there.

My question is: Since each housecarl is unique to a specific house, if you marry a housecarl and buy another house, are you able to use the conversation option "I wish to move somewhere else" with them and have them follow you to the new property? Or because they are housecarls will they always stay in the house in their city no matter what, even if you're married?

• Level   2

You can move them if you like. I moved my Markarthian housecarl husband to my home in Whiterun without any problems :)

• Level   6

Thanks, I didn't know if it would be a problem. :)

• Level   7

Wait, you get a a housecarl with every house? That REALLY sucks.. I only have the Whiterun house right now but I wanted to move so I can get a house without some totally unwanted house guest. Can you kill the Housecarl? I don't want these stupid @#$% heads in my damn house! I wish I could tell her to go live someplace else, I married a different NPC and have no use or desire for a stupid 'housecarl.' Even the name is stupid.

• Level   7

The name is actually not too bad, given that it's probably based on 'Huskarl'....

They want to see me shot up, locked up, encage me...

I come back bigger... stronger... and angrier.

• Level   3

How the heck do you Mary a housecarl? I haven't had the option to do that yet. Or any woman to be honest. I'm level 22 and haven't seen how to do it.

Nothing like a good bottle of whiskey and a game of liar's dice. Good times!!
    • Level   6

CrimsonBlade32

How the heck do you Mary a housecarl? I haven't had the option to do that yet. Or any woman to be honest. I'm level 22 and haven't seen how to do it.

There's information around about marriage but, the quick answer is to get an Amulet of Mara and wear it. The amulet will open up dialoguw with npc's you can marry. You typically have to do a quest for them or hire them first if their hirelings. Housecarls can be married after they come to work for you. Then you have to go to the Temple of Mara after you agree to marry and make an appointment for the wedding.

I know I've seen lists around with the names of marriageable npc's

• Level   2

Yup, go to Riften & talk to the priest of Mara in either the temple or The Bee and the Barb. Wear your amulet around an npc you're interested in and the courtship dialogue should open up. Sometimes they require you do a task for them though, kinda like in Fable.

Also, I think you may be able to dismiss the Housecarls? In the dialogue there might be an "I think we should part ways" option oris that just for followers? Not too sure, I never bring any of them anywhere with me and keep the communication to a minimum.... unless I'm asking my husband for money or a homecooked meal. I mean really, it's not too much to ask that he fill my pockets and makes me a sammich when I'm home from adventuring ;)

• Level   5

I have Aela as a wife from the companions and she is a beast.  Lydia is good too.  Not quite as strong as Aela but good. I've got Aela decked out in some good Elvin armor with a great mace and shield / bow combo.  Bring them guys and girls along, deck them out with some good stuff and don't use area of effect spell around them.