Constant Freezing

• Level   3

I used to get what I thought were freezes about twice or so every play session (3 hours average), but I found if I just wait it out, and then hold the Xbox button to bring up the Shut Down menu, the game decides to wake up. My screen goes black going into and coming out of loading screens a lot, and I used to sit there waiting for it to do something, but nothing happens (no hints, no fog, no spinning item). However, if you wait a bit and then HOLD the Xbox button, for whatever reason, the menu appearing makes the game continue loading.

I don't know if this is the type of freezing you're talking about - I've had my game freeze in the middle of gameplay, but never tried this trick - but it might help someone who gets a hiccup and doesn't want to shut down if they hadn't saved in a while.

• Level   1

my xbox freezes in the same place ever time. during one of the last dark brotherhood missions. the santuary is on fire and i have to go inside the night mother's coffin and she tells u to sleep. right when the screen goes black is when it freezes.

• Level   9

That is a known spot for glitching, but it's also a spot that goes dark for awhile and you need to wait it out.

Previously Jameser78, now TF themed.

• Level   5

Heat Striker
    my xbox freezes in the same place ever time. during one of the last dark brotherhood missions. the santuary is on fire and i have to go inside the night mother's coffin and she tells u to sleep. right when the screen goes black is when it freezes.

I had what appeared to be a freeze at that spot, but waited it out. Literally, when it appeared to freeze, I got up frustrated and went into use the bathroom without bothering to turn off or reset the xbox. Came back about three minutes later and still had a black screen. Then as I was about to hit the power button I thought I heard faint voices... stopped to listen and yes there were voices, few seconds later I saw the game was still running.

• Level   5

One thing I have found for determining freezes in this game is if I think it has frozen, I hit the xbox button, if I hear the tone, I leave it to work itself through, even if the menu doesn't appear (just like the with the "speedy wait trick"

If I dont hear the tone, then I have assumed that it is a genuine freeze.....

May not be a 100% accurate but it has been fairly useful for me.

• Level   9

Yeah, that's the kicker... If it is a freeze, your on screen dash wont respond at all.

Previously Jameser78, now TF themed.

• Level   1

it worked. now i only have 3 achievements (not including DLC's) left.

• Level   1

i waited about 7-8 minutes before i finally heard talking.

• Level   1

Mine freezes at the same spot everytime. I have Hearthfire and it freezes at Lakeside Manor all the time.

• Level   5

Try deleting and reinstalling the dlc. That could help fix the problem.

• Level   8

Mine freezes from time to time more often than not it's when entering or exiting an area.  I can't complain though, it's much better to what it was.

Fidelis ad urnam

• Level   1

I'm afraid that can't be the case, see I bought my Xbox360 S close to 4 months ago and I've been playing skyrim for long periods of time one character was brought to level 18 while the second one was brought up to level 33. My game currently keeps freezing in my current travel of Bleakfalls Barrow trying to find Meridia's beacon since I don't remember where I saw it at. Anyways, my game has frozen no less than five to six times 3 times about 3-5 hours ago, and 3 more times merely 30 minutes ago. My game however was the download version that I got with the Xbox and Forza Motorsports 4. So I'm personally considering two different things, namely one and that's that I've over-played my game hell just 3 days ago I decided to start a 3rd game as a Breton Female because I felt like being goofy. I completed the Bleakfalls Barrow before speaking with Alvor and he never got around to the conversation with the Dragon so I deleted that. My mom thinks it might be because of this game I borrowed from some neighbors and I doubt it, as an infected Xbox(as far as I know) can not transfer any viruses via game disks. That's the other reason that I think I've over played my downloaded version of Skyrim.

• Level   7

@DeathFalcon & Mafivee. Have you done all the usual clearing of the caches? Having a very large save file can distort the game also. There are several threads with very good instructions on many quick fixes for freezing issues. For the most part the consensus is that Skyrim is the culprit and not your X-Box. Try limiting the number of saves and clear out items you have stored around the game.

...Angelus ignem tenebris blue... Semper Fi! Semper Cautus!

Texas Expedition.

Retired Sailor, growing up backwards! Not here to offend anyone!

• Level   5

It's the game: it's a *** mess & 1.9 made everything worse -- for me, at least. This is the 4th time in 19 months I've had freezing issues so severe that I've had to quit playing altogether. I know all the tricks: game cache, system cache, duped keys, minimal save files, autosave off, etc, etc. I'm at the point now where if I play for 10 minutes, I'll freeze 3x and give up. I've moved on. I got Amalur & I'm ordering Dragons Dogma & Witcher 2. I'm just following Bethesda & abandoning Skyrim. It was good while it lasted...

Want Uncharted 3? No thanks. Saints Row the Third? No. Xcom? No. Deus Ex? No. No. No. How about Defense Grid? Now we're talking. HELL YEAH!
    • Level   1

ok great... I come here hoping for some help...and now i see it say that the Game Bethesda says not to install it?  Well guess what..I bought the download card so I had no choice but to download it.  I've cleared the cache many times, deleted and reinstalled many times, everything has been done I can think of and I still freeze at the Dragon picture at the very beginning.  All my other games work great, no freezing, nothing...just this one...